follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 12-02-2011, 02:22 AM   #1
KAuss

Drives: 2005 X-Runner BSP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Anyone at reveal see if...

The stock exhaust is mandrel bent? I could have sworn I seen pics of it resembling like it is...

Also what size are the pipes stock?

I have a HKS Carbon Ti sitting brand new in a box, 3" pipes... I'm really really wishing I can FINALLY use this thing... Had it for like 5 years already... It would be awesome to get stock mandrel bent pipes, but if they're 2" or 2.5" I'm not sure if I'm going to ditch them for the muffler...

However if they're not, would 3" be overkill already for this lack of torque? Don't want to lower even more power from something that has only 151 tq...

Actually the biggest question is, will it even fit diagonally like all those WRX rice installs? I'm not going for looks I fell in love with the sounds on the Scooby + HKS...

Here's my baby...

Those pics are now 5 years old lol... So much potential then... Yes that is a cup of rice next to it *pokerface*

Stock photo just cause I am not a photographer...

KAuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:24 AM   #2
Snaps
Supra Owner

Drives: 1995 Toyota Supra UK Spec
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
You can make anything fit with enough money

That said, it shouldn't be too hard to make the rear section fit. I wouldn't expect it to bolt straight up, so you might need to get a new mid-section made to join the headers/collector/downpipe to the rear HKS section, AND you'll probably have to get the exhaust hanger positions changed (on the exhaust) for it to hang correctly.

There's no reason it can't be done. A whole custom exhaust should be under $400 for this car, doing a couple of mods to an exhaust you already have should be much cheaper.

As for whether or not that will reduce power/torque.... Probably... 3" is FAR too big for a 2.0L like this IMO. BUT, because you'd only be changing the rear section, it should still be ok, as an exhaust only flows as much as it's smallest part will - ie. the restriction would still exist in smaller mid-section, so you'd still get a decent amount of backpressure.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:31 AM   #3
KAuss

Drives: 2005 X-Runner BSP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Not actually with the whole enough money thing lol... That's why this has been sitting in my inventory for 5 years LOL...

I don't have the actual HKS hanger for the muffler, so it's going to be fabbed anyways, but man I don't know if I want this thing to be scraping everything lol...

If anything I would only want to make it cat back to keep it kosher, don't want to deal with straight pipes so yeah I would want nothing more than to just get this thing bolted up in that fashion... The only exception would be if it isn't already mandrel bent from the factory, I'll probably think about switching all the pipes that way since I'm going to get work done on it anyways...
KAuss is offline   Reply With Quote