follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 12-02-2012, 08:02 PM   #1
dnL

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
A pillar dent

I got a dent in my driver side A pillar today. Some guy going the opposite direction ran over a broken tree branch and kicked it into the air. The branch smacked into the A pillar and side mirror.

Anyone have experience with these kinds of dents? I've read in some places that it's an expensive repair and not worth it, but it'd be nice to have more up-to-date information (pretty much praying that there is some reasonable way to fix it). The paint is a little scuffed by otherwise okay. If I could do paintless repair, I might consider it fixing it. Otherwise, I may just have to live with it.

It's sort of sad that the car already has some dent, and it's not even some dent on the hood from a rock or a dent on the sides from someone's door. Just some ridiculous "wrong place, wrong time" dent.
dnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 02:54 PM   #2
akiranakayama

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (CBS)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Necroing an age-old thread here instead of starting another one. Hope y'all don't mind I bump this for visibility...

Same thing happened to me. Except I believe a car in front of me kicked up a small rock. Was driving on the highway last week and heard a loud smack of something on the car. Got out later and discovered a nice little dent on the passenger side A-pillar.

Anyone have any experience with removing a dent from this area of the car? I'm thinking that maybe someone could remove the A-pillar trim from the inside and then be able to do a paintless dent repair on it? Totally guessing, though...
2007 Suzuki SV650 (Track bike.)
akiranakayama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to akiranakayama For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (07-22-2016)
Old 07-22-2016, 03:09 PM   #3
jawn

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,757 Posts
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by akiranakayama View Post
Necroing an age-old thread here instead of starting another one. Hope y'all don't mind I bump this for visibility...

Same thing happened to me. Except I believe a car in front of me kicked up a small rock. Was driving on the highway last week and heard a loud smack of something on the car. Got out later and discovered a nice little dent on the passenger side A-pillar.

Anyone have any experience with removing a dent from this area of the car? I'm thinking that maybe someone could remove the A-pillar trim from the inside and then be able to do a paintless dent repair on it? Totally guessing, though...
Couldn't hurt to call a local PDR guy to see what they're able to do. By and large, if the dent hasn't pierced the paint, these PDR guys can work miracles.
jawn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jawn For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-23-2016), Tcoat (07-22-2016), Ultramaroon (07-22-2016)
Old 07-22-2016, 10:26 PM   #4
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawn View Post
Couldn't hurt to call a local PDR guy to see what they're able to do. By and large, if the dent hasn't pierced the paint, these PDR guys can work miracles.
I have two on my A pillar. Saw both the rocks coming and got as close as the pillars to avoiding them. At least they missed the glass.

A PDR guy could retire after working on my car though so all the little dings stay. It is a Road Warrior not a Garage Queen.
Ultramaroon (07-22-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 05:48 PM   #5
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,977 Times in 16,481 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawn View Post
There ya go ........

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote