follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 11-13-2012, 11:34 PM   #1
MANDALAY
Banned

Drives: MR2
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ROTREX SC Brainstorming

Some will know me pretty well to assume if it dont look stock i wouldnt buy a kit but hey ild always make my own build as i would never be 100% satisfied.

I enjoy the Rotrex and thats it period. I have first hand experince and enjoy it.

This HKS is interesting but still not there for me.

The Rotrex cant be mounted this way as it can only spin clockwise. This is most likely the reason why HKS have their own SC, its running anticlockwise.

Im just collecting as much ifo as i can riight now as i have a different approach to all these FI that are sprouting up.
Its more on the engine and its design and limitations rather than what and how to do the SC.
I have experience with that aspect but none of the former
ith the current FI builds there is a lot of info that is either being kept as a secret or they just plainly dont know
Its like a playing game who is going to win a race. Then there are so many biased answers and many from kids that have never built an engine and have a flair to do google searches which then makes them experts.
Same people would have a heart attach at the thought of spending > $8,000 on a MoTex ECU.

So what im looking at is moving the alternator to the right and putting the Rotrex where the alternator resides. A A/W intercooler setup

I drive a Rotrex , enjoy her at thats it.

Dont tell me your x,y,z is better and ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE NEVER had one yourself.

As stated im gathering as much info as possible for a build,
To sell NO as it would be too expensive

Since the extent of safety of these engines has yet to be determined i will build a system that will be upgradable.
MANDALAY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MANDALAY For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (12-10-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 11:36 PM   #2
86_ZN6

Drives: 86 ZN6
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,222 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
wow the legendary rotrex 3sge beams mandalay is here!

cant wait what you'll do to this FA20 engine

subscribed!
86_ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:41 PM   #3
FreshFRS
KCCO From Canada

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANDALAY View Post
Some will know me pretty well to assume if it dont look stock i wouldnt buy a kit but hey ild always make my own build as i would never be 100% satisfied.

I enjoy the Rotrex and thats it period. I have first hand experince and enjoy it.

This HKS is interesting but still not there for me.

The Rotrex cant be mounted this way as it can only spin clockwise. This is most likely the reason why HKS have their own SC, its running anticlockwise.

Im just collecting as much ifo as i can riight now as i have a different approach to all these FI that are sprouting up.
Its more on the engine and its design and limitations rather than what and how to do the SC.
I have experience with that aspect but none of the former
ith the current FI builds there is a lot of info that is either being kept as a secret or they just plainly dont know
Its like a playing game who is going to win a race. Then there are so many biased answers and many from kids that have never built an engine and have a flair to do google searches which then makes them experts.
Same people would have a heart attach at the thought of spending > $8,000 on a MoTex ECU.

So what im looking at is moving the alternator to the right and putting the Rotrex where the alternator resides. A A/W intercooler setup

I drive a Rotrex , enjoy her at thats it.

Dont tell me your x,y,z is better and ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE NEVER had one yourself.

As stated im gathering as much info as possible for a build,
To sell NO as it would be too expensive

Since the extent of safety of these engines has yet to be determined i will build a system that will be upgradable.
i think i saw someone who had wounted a SC where you have in mind do a quick search. wasnt the best plenum design and wasnt intercooled but if might give you some ideas. edit: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21928
FreshFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:47 PM   #4
Coheed

Drives: DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Sounds like a plan bro. Let's see it happen. Sounds like a pretty good idea, moving the alternator perhaps. Interested to see what you can come up with. The Beams engine was tits.
Coheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:02 AM   #5
MANDALAY
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFRS View Post
i think i saw someone who had wounted a SC where you have in mind do a quick search. wasnt the best plenum design and wasnt intercooled but if might give you some ideas. edit: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21928

Yes thats the one i spotted
Old 11-14-2012, 12:16 AM   #6
MANDALAY
Banned

This is the one

The SC used here is pretty much like the Vortech with gears but the body is far too big and well kind of funky.

The Rotrex just looks like an alternator, small compact with many sizes available

This is mine on the SW20 which is the biggest available next to an alternator.
This unit can blow 0.63 kgs/sec about 23 psi.

One school of thought would be to put a small unit and be done with it , but lessons learn have shown me that a bigger unit can be used by limiting the boost supplied.

The easy way would be to restrict the inlet with an orifice , the harder way but still easy would be using a waste gate with a set psi spring and the best and ultimately total control will be the electronic controlled WG.

Last edited by MANDALAY; 11-14-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:20 AM   #7
MANDALAY
Banned

You can clearly see the above kit is put together from spare parts. That i dont like. For me its custom all the way. But a lot of thought will need to go into it so as not to do things twice as i have done in the past

I need to gather engine data, space data etc as there isnt any smashed / spare cheap engines that i can buy to mock up a system
Old 11-14-2012, 12:36 AM   #8
FreshFRS
KCCO From Canada

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANDALAY View Post
You can clearly see the above kit is put together from spare parts. That i dont like. For me its custom all the way. But a lot of thought will need to go into it so as not to do things twice as i have done in the past

I need to gather engine data, space data etc as there isnt any smashed / spare cheap engines that i can buy to mock up a system
their are many totalled FRS out there trust me in my area i've seen 2 already, 17 year old kid with more money than brains. and im not sure about the other one i almost considered buying it for spare parts :happy0180:

i hear what your saying, a C-30 would be about perfect for this car, but i bet a C-38 would fit too and make some huge hp numbers with the right tuning. and a properly built plenum with a/w intercooling.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:19 AM   #9
MANDALAY
Banned

Relative size to the biggest Rotrex C38-91 with billet wheel

Last edited by MANDALAY; 11-14-2012 at 01:43 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:24 AM   #10
uspspro

Drives: DGM BRZ, MR-S 3.5L V6 swap (sold)
That's C38, you mean, correct?
uspspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:29 AM   #11
uspspro

Drives: DGM BRZ, MR-S 3.5L V6 swap (sold)
I would still stick with a2a. A2w is perfect for the MR2, but this platform can easily fit a good a2a core.

Would need a custom intake manifold/plenum to help get the throttle body over the relocated alternator.
uspspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:40 AM   #12
FreshFRS
KCCO From Canada

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by uspspro View Post
I would still stick with a2a. A2w is perfect for the MR2, but this platform can easily fit a good a2a core.

Would need a custom intake manifold/plenum to help get the throttle body over the relocated alternator.
since you are having to do that why not run A/W? shorter piping is more efficient isnt it? my RX-7, S2K and cobalt were all A/W and i never had any problems at all with them. not to meantion A/W would be at least as efficient with proper sizing and water flow.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:43 AM   #13
MANDALAY
Banned

Quote:
That's C38, you mean, correct?

OOPS corrected
Old 11-14-2012, 01:44 AM   #14
MANDALAY
Banned

Quote:

Actually an A/A would be easier.

Tags
rotrex