follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 11-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #1
Jayde

Drives: 2013 Satin White Pearl BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Couple tire/wheel questions

Finally got around to inspecting my winter tires/wheels since it seems I'm going to have to be putting them on in the next few days. I noticed that the tires marked drivers side (from Tirerack) have the thread pointing in different directions. Here's a pic of what I mean:

Outside of the wheel is facing the left. The same is for passenger side as well. Is it possible that they just put the stickers on wrong or is this how the threads are supposed to be? Yes, I'm a tire/wheel noob.

Also, they sent me a set of tapered chrome lug nuts. Any recommendations for black ones without painting or costing an arm/leg?

What about a center cap for the wheel? I don't know if the hub is painted or exposed metal, which means I could be looking at rust for the months that these wheels are on if I can't get a center cap for them.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
Jidonsu

Drives: Scion FR-S | 6MT | Ultramarine
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Link at the sidewall and see if one side is marked "outside" or if the tires have an arrow pointing at the direction of rotation. You probably won't have an "outside" marking since your tread is symmetrical.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
Jidonsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde View Post
Finally got around to inspecting my winter tires/wheels since it seems I'm going to have to be putting them on in the next few days. I noticed that the tires marked drivers side (from Tirerack) have the thread pointing in different directions. Here's a pic of what I mean:

Outside of the wheel is facing the left. The same is for passenger side as well. Is it possible that they just put the stickers on wrong or is this how the threads are supposed to be? Yes, I'm a tire/wheel noob.

Also, they sent me a set of tapered chrome lug nuts. Any recommendations for black ones without painting or costing an arm/leg?

What about a center cap for the wheel? I don't know if the hub is painted or exposed metal, which means I could be looking at rust for the months that these wheels are on if I can't get a center cap for them.

I just looked up the WS70. They are directional. Make sure you have two on each side rotating the right way.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #4
Jayde

Ahhh, forgot to look at the sidewall to check to see which was which. Nice big lettering saying "Rotation" with an arrow pointing in the correct direction. Swapped stickers and now everything is set! Thanks you too!

Any info on the other two questions?
Old 11-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #5
Jidonsu

You can get M12x1.25 lug nuts in almost any color on amazon. Can you swap in the stock center caps? What kind of wheels did you get?
Old 11-03-2012, 06:20 PM   #6
Jayde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jidonsu View Post
You can get M12x1.25 lug nuts in almost any color on amazon. Can you swap in the stock center caps? What kind of wheels did you get?
Hmm, any chance you could give me a direct link to one that'll fit?

Don't know about the caps till I take off the wheel. I got regular 16in steelies from Tirerack along with tires.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:11 PM   #7
Jidonsu

Quote:
Hmm, any chance you could give me a direct link to one that'll fit?

Don't know about the caps till I take off the wheel. I got regular 16in steelies from Tirerack along with tires.
These should work.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Automotive-21123BC-Diameter-Thread/dp/B001O08ADO/"]Gorilla Automotive 21123BC Small Diameter Acorn Black 5 Lug Kit (12mm x 1.25 Thread Size) - Pack of 20 : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]
Old 11-05-2012, 03:00 AM   #8
smbrm

Drives: Scion FRS Ht Lva(AT)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:

Front hub centre is painted and does not expose anything to the elements. Rear centre exposes the axle nut to the elements. The internal ID of the hub where the rear axle nut is located is 1 15/16". As far as I know there are no bearing caps that size. The closest is 1 31/32" which is too big.

Only solution I can think of is putting a layer of grease on the nut and surrounding area to protect from the elements. This is a common and effective practice in dealing with the similar situation regard the front nut on Front wheel drive cars. Some folks just let them rust!

This questions is also discussed here.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...t=20301&page=5

see message #107

I have not heard of any other elegant solutions for dealing with the axle nut exposure caused by steel wheels other than a set of wheel covers.

Which tires did you get?
smbrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:24 AM   #9
Jayde

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbrm View Post
Front hub centre is painted and does not expose anything to the elements. Rear centre exposes the axle nut to the elements. The internal ID of the hub where the rear axle nut is located is 1 15/16". As far as I know there are no bearing caps that size. The closest is 1 31/32" which is too big.

Only solution I can think of is putting a layer of grease on the nut and surrounding area to protect from the elements. This is a common and effective practice in dealing with the similar situation regard the front nut on Front wheel drive cars. Some folks just let them rust!

This questions is also discussed here.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...t=20301&page=5

see message #107

I have not heard of any other elegant solutions for dealing with the axle nut exposure caused by steel wheels other than a set of wheel covers.

Which tires did you get?
I remember seeing a picture of a BRZ with steelies on the front and the nut was exposed there. Hmm. Any recommendations for grease?

I got Blizzaks WS70.

Also, I'm still running my OEM setup in these colder temps and my TPMS light came on this morning. Checked temps when I got to work (so still hot) and it was either 28/29 on the wheels. I'll check them again when they're cold. Do you know at what temp the light comes on? I take it 25psi or so? And I take it these are normal air loss, since I read that tires generally lose 1 psi or so a month and maybe more when it's colder out?
Old 11-05-2012, 10:19 AM   #10
gmookher
Banned

Drives: VortechSC,BorlaEL,Perrin,GCRace
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I own both: avoid the gorilla and go with mcgard

Last edited by gmookher; 11-05-2012 at 11:02 AM.
gmookher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:04 PM   #11
smbrm

Drives: Scion FRS Ht Lva(AT)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
I remember seeing a picture of a BRZ with steelies on the front and the nut was exposed there. Hmm. Any recommendations for grease?

I got Blizzaks WS70.

Also, I'm still running my OEM setup in these colder temps and my TPMS light came on this morning. Checked temps when I got to work (so still hot) and it was either 28/29 on the wheels. I'll check them again when they're cold. Do you know at what temp the light comes on? I take it 25psi or so? And I take it these are normal air loss, since I read that tires generally lose 1 psi or so a month and maybe more when it's colder out?
Are you sure you weren't seeing the back axle? My FRS does not have an external wheel nut on the front.

You can scroll through photos here.

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...alkaround.html

Preferable grease would be a grease that does not contain lithium soap(most garden variety greases use lithium soap as the thickener and tend to have poorer water washoff characteristics) and/or one with best water washoff performance. No.2 or thicker as thinner stuff just flings or runs off. You won't need much so you have to balance that off against what you decide to get. No sense in buying a pound of grease for probably less than an ounce or two of need.

I also wondered if this would be an application for plastidip that you could just peel off when you need to?
smbrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #12
Jidonsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmookher View Post
I own both: avoid the gorilla and go with mcgard
Haha. I went with McGard too, but I didn't know if OP wanted the cheapest.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #13
Jayde

I'll post a reply to the above posts when I get home.

But, since I'm still at work, on my break, I was able to inflate my tires with a portable compressor, since my TPMS came on this morning first thing. Was fine last night though. They're all at 35 psi, so should the light go off now? I haven't started the motor or driven it yet (still at work), just pushed the button twice to see if it would go off, so should it come off once it's driven?

Again, when it comes to tires/wheels, I'm a noob.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #14
Jayde

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbrm View Post
Are you sure you weren't seeing the back axle? My FRS does not have an external wheel nut on the front.

You can scroll through photos here.

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...alkaround.html

Preferable grease would be a grease that does not contain lithium soap(most garden variety greases use lithium soap as the thickener and tend to have poorer water washoff characteristics) and/or one with best water washoff performance. No.2 or thicker as thinner stuff just flings or runs off. You won't need much so you have to balance that off against what you decide to get. No sense in buying a pound of grease for probably less than an ounce or two of need.

I also wondered if this would be an application for plastidip that you could just peel off when you need to?
I stand corrected then. These were the pics I was talking about:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=56

Have a link to grease that you would recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jidonsu View Post
Haha. I went with McGard too, but I didn't know if OP wanted the cheapest.
Well, I'd rather have something that's not going to break versus something that will.

And the TPMS light went off by the way.