follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-21-2012, 03:06 AM   #1
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
FR-S unleashed potential ?

This has probably been discussed but there have been a lot of comparisons to other cars as far as speed and handling/real world performance. As I have been bonding with my FR-S I just can't help but think it is somehow underrated by design.

I am saying that on the streets and backroad curves this car is right up there with the best cars up to 60 mph.

In the 1970 auto makers used to derate their engine horsepower so that insurance rates would be low, and the engines would "come alive" with a cam.

In 1984-87 Buick came out with basically an indy car turbo 6 that was around a 15 second car of the lot, and a 13 second car with a piece of hose and a needle valve to crank up the boost. Just another example of hidden potential from the factory.

The way this FR-S is designed, the chassis is got to be the best I have ever driven. It is just amazing the solid feel and perfect rider angle. It reminds my of an old BMW 633 I had that would probably be a $150k car in todays dollars. That car was much heavier but it took a sweeping turn so confidently at a very high rate of speed.

To me the FR-S sort gets uncomfortable over 60 mph, in second gear I am absolutely happy with the factory package, above that it needs some help.

Now if the car was an inch lower with a better balance between F/R spring rates and the final drive ratio was shorter, I think this car would be very very quick.

I guess what I am saying is I think there will be fairly inexpensive sectrets unlocked to car that will make it beat anything thing in its pricerange and of course one day someone will beat the ECU and we will be slapping on turbos for a a couple grand.

I guess I've been waiting on this car since 2008, and some folks aren't satisfied with it but to me the most important thing is the Chassis. I honestly know very little about subaru flat fours but the thing has a great manual transmission (ratios are a little odd) and a factory LSD. But the Chassis is what makes a car a classic IMHO. I think this Chassis is better than any mass produced vehicle since the E30 BMW. This is a real pony car in a way, similiar to the first corvette, the first mustang, the lines remind me of an AAR cuda. I think it almost more of a pony car than a sports car.

Motor trend reported a 1:27" lap time at UTQG with dunlop Starspec tires which was a huge 2.3" improvement over stock. Just changing tires!

That put the car better than a Mazdaspeed3 and a Subaru WRX.

So I am thinking thats better than an MX5 and a Genesis Coupe, maybe even a 370Z, just with a new set of tires?
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to regal For This Useful Post:
Carban (10-22-2012), frsguy707 (10-21-2012), Guff (10-30-2012), Nezz (10-22-2012), Snozzberries (10-21-2012), Turbowned (10-22-2012)
Old 10-21-2012, 01:20 PM   #2
ProTekk

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I swear I must be the only one satisfied 100% with this car. Probably just my own view since I came out of a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan SE to this. Never had/used any "real" cars before.
ProTekk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ProTekk For This Useful Post:
CaptainSlow (10-24-2012)
Old 10-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #3
Ch3cho86

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Me too! I came from 9 years driving a 1997 Rav4 MT
Ch3cho86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #4
TheSt|G

Drives: BRZ L 6MT, 128i 6MT, E39 M5, E36 M3
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTekk View Post
I swear I must be the only one satisfied 100% with this car. Probably just my own view since I came out of a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan SE to this. Never had/used any "real" cars before.
I think it is a mostly just a case of taking it for what it is. The BRZ/FRS/GT86 isn't a fast car, it's a fun car. There seem to be a lot of people who don't understand that.
TheSt|G is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheSt|G For This Useful Post:
@Art_Mighty (10-22-2012)
Old 10-22-2012, 08:56 AM   #5
danthemann5

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Nope, you're not the only one. I came from a Mazda 3 to the FR-S. I read these forums and see all the mods and ideas, and I start to get excited. I start to think about all the things I'm going to change or upgrade to make my car better or faster. Then it hits me...I don't need to change anything, I'm really happy with it just the way it is.
danthemann5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:42 AM   #6
Gen

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by danthemann5 View Post
Nope, you're not the only one. I came from a Mazda 3 to the FR-S. I read these forums and see all the mods and ideas, and I start to get excited. I start to think about all the things I'm going to change or upgrade to make my car better or faster. Then it hits me...I don't need to change anything, I'm really happy with it just the way it is.
The way I see it, it's decent, but could be better, so why not make some changes? Areas I find it lacking in...power, grip, and interior.
Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:41 PM   #7
number1Tango

Drives: Silver FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Then it hits me...I don't need to change anything, I'm really happy with it just the way it is.
x2
number1Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:01 PM   #8
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Then it hits me...I don't need to change anything, I'm really happy with it just the way it is.
My list of cars would include a Mustang GT, Corvette, Porsche 911, two Miata's among many cars I've owned over the years. I too don't need to change a thing. I've added the BRZ trunk lid liner for appearance. I've eliminated the growl tube and the only other thing I plan on doing is buying a nice arm rest/console cover when it hits the market. The car is a thrill to drive just the way it is.
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:05 PM   #9
Tigranakert

Drives: Hot Lava FRS 2013
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen View Post
The way I see it, it's decent, but could be better, so why not make some changes? Areas I find it lacking in...power, grip, and interior.
I think that's completely fine for those 3 factors, but...

Compared with some people who change the rims, add a body kit, change the headlights and taillights, add a turbo, change the exhaust, add a spoiler, change the wheels, change the shift knob, change the interior seats completely, add leather, change the pedals, change the Pioneer system, change the mats, add a tint, lower the car, repaint the entire car....

When does it stop? Did you not look at the car when you bought it, or did you go to a junkyard and saw potential in this car. The car is brand new, and no offense if you have the money to do it and it fits your style, but in my opinion it's wrong.

I mean why not get another car then if you don't like anything the way it is...
Tigranakert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:09 PM   #10
Gen

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigranakert View Post

Compared with some people who change the rims, add a body kit, change the headlights and taillights, add a turbo, change the exhaust, add a spoiler, change the wheels, change the shift knob, change the interior seats completely, add leather, change the pedals, change the Pioneer system, change the mats, add a tint, lower the car, repaint the entire car....

When does it stop? Did you not look at the car when you bought it, or did you go to a junkyard and saw potential in this car. The car is brand new, and no offense if you have the money to do it and it fits your style, but in my opinion it's wrong.

I think the issue is buying a car from the factory exactly as you want will run in excess of 100k+ easily. I'm a big fan of alcantara and leather...and you're in Lambo territory for an interior of that caliber. I think the modders look at a car when they're buying it, not for what it currently is, but for what it will be when they are finished.

Plus, some people just like to tinker. It's part of the fun for some I suppose.
Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gen For This Useful Post:
Tigranakert (10-22-2012)
Old 10-22-2012, 07:49 PM   #11
showbe
Banned

Drives: A nice one
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Because they like the car and would like to improve it? Their is nothing wrong with making the car your own. Some people want to stick out. IMO cars shouldnt be kept stock if you see something that can be imrpoved or something you like that isnt over the top.

Sometimes people go over the top and add body kits that have no functionality. Some people are rice. Stuff like that would make anyone SMH. But if you do little things like tint, rims, and add a couple of bolt ons their is nothing wrong with that. Adding a non functional body kit or making your car look nothing like how it did before, like people who would buy an integra and put a completely wacky body kit on their that looks nothing like an integra after its done, is a good example.

Do you really think people who do that stuff just do it for the hell of it? You never thought that maybe they autocross and would like to improve their time? Most people who add parts and change things ussually have a purpose for it. Even if you dont really have a purpose it is always nice to have a couple extra whp and torque. Nothing you listed can be bought or added when you buy the car. If it can it ussually is at a huge mark up at a dealership. Like 1000 dollars for very little tint and the sticker bra. You can do that your self for much cheaper and better. Opti coat and a place that specializes in stuff like that, you will maybe spend half of what you would at the dealership. Anything that is added on at the dealership is ussually a rip off and can be done for much cheaper. So people are just being smart and saving some extra money which is nothing wrong with that. You get another car your still going to need to add tint, rims, shift nob, HID's, basically anything you listed it will still have to be done. Things like turbos can be made much better then buying it with a factory turbo also.

Also this car was developed by Toyota/Subaru made sure that if people did decide to mod it that it would be a little easier. In Perrins blog they said some things about how this car had a couple things that made it as if they knew people were going to add things like oil temperature/boost gauges. This car was made/developed by them with modders in mind at the time of development.

Last edited by showbe; 10-22-2012 at 08:02 PM.
showbe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to showbe For This Useful Post:
Opposed (10-23-2012), Tigranakert (10-22-2012)
Old 10-22-2012, 08:00 PM   #12
draggin_az
Small penis big dreams

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quote:
i come from a chevy colorado and i love this car. i fell in love with it the first time i say pics on the internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
I think it is a mostly just a case of taking it for what it is. The BRZ/FRS/GT86 isn't a fast car, it's a fun car. There seem to be a lot of people who don't understand that.
bingo
Quote:

b/c honestly stock sucks no matter what kind of car you have (unless its a zenvo st1)

almost every car can use the basic mods.....tint, coilovers, intake, tune, exhaust, and maybe an aftermarket radio/speakers.

but at the end of the day its your car. mod it to your tastes.

thank god and i mean.......THANK GOD these cars will hopefully never see donk status.
draggin_az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:01 PM   #13
Nezz
86DESU

Drives: 86 GTS, S13, CB9
I'm a "waited since FT-HS" freak myself, and I totally understand. From the outset I've gotta say you could see this thing being a tuner missile from the getgo. Nobody makes a small affordable coupe without focussing on one thing. Numbers or balance-- When I found out the numbers weren't going to be great if anything it made me -more- excited, and when everyone started driving it I knew.

I own an S13 Silvia with quite a few suspension modifications, and can't wait to get started on the 86. It sounds awesome when it's up there, and there's all the right parts available already! It's fantastic.
Nezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:02 PM   #14
Nezz
86DESU

Drives: 86 GTS, S13, CB9
Quote:
Originally Posted by draggin_az View Post
thank god and i mean.......THANK GOD these cars will hopefully never see donk status.
Bahahaaha, please, people are already stuffing 20" wheels under the arches of these things. Every popular car gets bought by tards.
Nezz is offline   Reply With Quote