follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-18-2012, 11:50 PM   #1
fmsida

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Dual Muffler Delete by F.M.S

Hi guys / gals.

I have been wanting to do this for the longest time, I had an idea, (what I think was a great idea), of a dual muffler delete setup. Here is a quick video of how it sounds and idle and a few revs. I will do a full review and include some longer videos of how it sounds inside while driving and a drive-by. I hope you enjoy.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuJXwsDl8NU"]Subaru BRZ Dual Muffler Delete - YouTube[/ame]

My plan was to design a setup that would allow me to interchange between stock muffler and the muffler delete. I wanted to have an equal flow to both tips, so I tried to have the y-pipe in the center location of where the stock muffler goes. Being a prototype I had the shop use aluminized steel, I understand it's not ideal, but for this 1st run I didn't mind much. I did buy some VHT black header paint, primer and gloss, and my hopes are that this will help prevent less rusting of the pipes. Next time around I will try to run full stainless steel, but it's pricey to have everything mandrel bent properly and tig welded like a boss. Eventually I will try to sell on ebay or local classifieds if all fails, or if I get tired of it.

Honestly after I came home from the shop, I haven't been able to do much with the car. Any in car driving and drive-bies will wait until the weekend.

Please be gentle if you all are going to harshly critique the sound and setup, lol..

Last edited by fmsida; 10-19-2012 at 12:02 AM.
fmsida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:01 AM   #2
NYC BRZ
AutoX Addict

Drives: 08 Pontiac G8 GT,13 GBS BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Not bad. Any idea on price?
2013 BRZ Limited- GBS - 6MT -VIN #0937
~~NYR SCCA # 18 C Street R (CSR)~~
"But there’s no mistaking the noise. This car is loud, and not in a particularly nice way. There’s no crisp exhaust note, no induction wheezing. It’s just the sound of petrol exploding in a metal box." - Jeremy Clarkson
NYC BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:37 AM   #3
fmsida

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I spent about $460 total, not very exciting, I know. Here's why... Just the material alone was about $274, that includes the gaskets, flanges, 2.0" pipe, 2.5" pipe, tips, and y-pipe.. all stainless steel. Every shop around here charges around $100/hr for fabrication, so for the tig welding and mandrel bending of stainless steel it was going to come out to be a little pricey for a bolt-on dual muffler delete. I need to do more research in order to make my idea cheaper to fabricate and cheaper to sell. If I was to sell it, my target would $300-ish + shipping for stainless steel, and less for mild steel/aluminized steel w/some type rust preventative application.
fmsida is offline   Reply With Quote