follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

Register and become an FT86Club.com member. You will see fewer ads

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-14-2026, 03:26 PM   #1
grippgoat
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2023
Drives: 2023 BRZ, 2018 Golf R 6MT
Location: WA
Posts: 83
Thanks: 12
Thanked 45 Times in 28 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Second Gen car with SPL rear lower control arms

Question for the 2nd gen owners with SPL arms on the rear. What shock mount hole are you using? Are you using a shock setup for a second gen car, or a first gen car?

Wall of Text:
I'm asking because none of the shock holes actually match the position of the hole on the stock second gen arms.

The stock arm is 450mm from the inner pivot to the outer pivot, and the shock hole is at 360mm from the inner pivot.

With the SPL arm set to 450mm, the shock mount holes are at (measurements are probably +/- a 1-2mm) 323mm, 345mm, and 368mm.

The motion ratio calcs for 323, 345, 360, and 368 (just hole position, not taking shock angle into account) are 0.72, 0.77, 0.80, and 0.82. That's 450/x.

I have written down that the 1st gen motion ratio is 0.76, which I think came from the Racecomp article on 2nd gen suspension changes. I don't actually know what the measurements on the first gen arms are.

But anyway, I'm pretty sure the holes in the SPL arms are designed to match 1st gen cars.

The differences in motion ratios might look small, but motion ratio gets squared in the calculation going from spring rate to wheel rate. The reason is because both the lever arm and the displacement of the spring change with motion ratio. I think it's similar with shocks, in that the leverage of the damping force and shaft movement / speed for a given wheel movement are both changed. Although I don't know if shocks care about wheels as much as they care about springs. :/

Anyway, I installed SPL arms, which I did very shortly after buying the car, before I really had much time getting to know the suspension setup. I have Karcepts MCS 2wnr, ordered by the previous owner for a 2nd gen car. I don't actually know if the valving is actually different from 1st gen. But they have always felt a bit off in the rear. Like under-damped in higher speed when the ride felt ok for the street, and if I turned the shocks up to control bigger body motions better, the ride got very harsh quickly, like low speed was too high. And also the compression clicks have always felt too sensitive. I tried a short stint on the outer holes, which felt like damping might be going in the right direction, but I had to turn compression down to 0 to get it streetable. I didn't unfortunately have softer springs to try and keep the wheel rate the same.

Maybe I'm over-analyzing. But I'm strongly considering changing my shock setup, and thinking about whether I'd be better off with a setup intended for first gen, because of the lower arms.

Thoughts?

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: SPL Rear Lower Control Arms Deraj Brakes, Suspension, Chassis 2 06-13-2017 11:42 PM
SPL rear lower control arms SuperDave Brakes, Suspension, Chassis 1 11-28-2016 11:08 PM
SPL Parts Pro Rear Adjustable Lower Control Arms StickThatClutch Brakes, Suspension, Chassis 0 11-21-2016 09:17 PM
Winmax W5 pads, Motul RBF 600, SPL rear lower control arms, ALL NEW IN BOX OkieSnuffBox Brakes, Suspension, Chassis 5 02-02-2016 04:17 PM
SPL Arms - Brand New! - Rear Lower Control Arm + Rear Toe Arm w/ Eccentric Lockout quiet-k Brakes, Suspension, Chassis 8 03-22-2014 10:17 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.