follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

Register and become an FT86Club.com member. You will see fewer ads

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-20-2026, 06:22 AM   #1
dinfern22
Senior Member
 
dinfern22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S(Halo)
Location: Maryland
Posts: 219
Thanks: 132
Thanked 48 Times in 33 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Please help, Weird Sound After Clutch Replacement

Hey guys,

Yesterday I picked up my car from the auto shop after having the clutch and flywheel replaced with new OEM parts, along with fresh transmission fluid.

Since getting it back, I’ve noticed a weird noise when I quickly get on the throttle at higher RPMs.

It doesn’t happen every time, but fairly often — usually when I’m in gear around 3,500 RPM and press the gas quickly, I hear a sort of “chh” sound. The sound it hard to explain, almost the the sound of scissors cutting.

And I don’t know if I’m going crazy, but I feel like the exhaust startup sound is a bit muffled.

Any ideas what this could be?

https://imgur.com/a/BkKg03O
dinfern22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2026, 06:23 AM   #2
dinfern22
Senior Member
 
dinfern22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S(Halo)
Location: Maryland
Posts: 219
Thanks: 132
Thanked 48 Times in 33 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
dinfern22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2026, 07:04 AM   #3
Muskoka800
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Drives: 2016 Scion FRS Release Series 2#439
Location: Chatham, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 813
Thanks: 4
Thanked 186 Times in 153 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Did you follow any break-in procedure for the new clutch?
I installed an aftermarket clutch which included explicate first 500 mile break-in instructions. Basically gentle behavior which was fine as I was also breaking in a new built short block.
__________________
Edelbrock S/C with CSG 94 & 91 maps
TRD Short Shifter, CTS-V/EvoX Brembos
Ohlin’s R&T Dampers, Hotchkis F/R Bars, Blox LCA & Toe Arms
235F/245R Conti ECS on TRD/Enkei wheels (street),
245/40 sq. ECF on 17x8 720Form GTF2 wheels (track)
Muskoka800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2026, 07:15 AM   #4
dinfern22
Senior Member
 
dinfern22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S(Halo)
Location: Maryland
Posts: 219
Thanks: 132
Thanked 48 Times in 33 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskoka800 View Post
Did you follow any break-in procedure for the new clutch?
I installed an aftermarket clutch which included explicate first 500 mile break-in instructions. Basically gentle behavior which was fine as I was also breaking in a new built short block.
I wasn’t told by the shop but I did not own research and I’m trying to stay under 4k RPM shifting until 400 miles.

But my concern is the sound that I hear when I stab the throttle, usually at higher rpm in gear.
dinfern22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2026, 10:42 AM   #5
Spuds
The Dictater
 
Spuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Location: MD, USA
Posts: 9,697
Thanks: 26,779
Thanked 12,750 Times in 6,320 Posts
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Hard to tell from the video, but mine has done something like that from day-1, 13 years ago. For me, it's the throttle pulling in a bunch of air quickly, like breathing in through pursed lips. Not sure if yours is different or if you are just now noticing.
__________________
If a picture is worth a thousand words, a model is worth ten thousand pictures.
Also: "Build Thread"
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2026, 10:55 AM   #6
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast
 
DarkPira7e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Location: Vermont
Posts: 4,160
Thanks: 3,447
Thanked 4,340 Times in 2,188 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Hard to tell from the video, but mine has done something like that from day-1, 13 years ago. For me, it's the throttle pulling in a bunch of air quickly, like breathing in through pursed lips. Not sure if yours is different or if you are just now noticing.
This is what I was thinking. Maybe the shop caused a change in the intake and OP is now hear the brief intake noise almost all of my cars
__________________
Turbo FR-S Build - Build Thread
JDL EL Recirc manifold, Boostlab BL58x Turbo w/ T51R, 17x9 ARC-8, IAG block
DarkPira7e is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2026, 11:43 AM   #7
dinfern22
Senior Member
 
dinfern22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S(Halo)
Location: Maryland
Posts: 219
Thanks: 132
Thanked 48 Times in 33 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Hard to tell from the video, but mine has done something like that from day-1, 13 years ago. For me, it's the throttle pulling in a bunch of air quickly, like breathing in through pursed lips. Not sure if yours is different or if you are just now noticing.
Hmm, you could be right. I initially thought that it might be something with the exhaust, and they didn’t properly tighten the bolts etc. but it doesn’t happen every time.
dinfern22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2026, 11:58 AM   #8
Spuds
The Dictater
 
Spuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Location: MD, USA
Posts: 9,697
Thanks: 26,779
Thanked 12,750 Times in 6,320 Posts
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinfern22 View Post
Hmm, you could be right. I initially thought that it might be something with the exhaust, and they didn’t properly tighten the bolts etc. but it doesn’t happen every time.
On mine it usually happens when rev matching a downshift. You can always have someone blip your throttle while you stand next to the open hood to try to localize the sound.
__________________
If a picture is worth a thousand words, a model is worth ten thousand pictures.
Also: "Build Thread"
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weird noise after starting the car after a stop Resions Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 4 04-17-2022 03:39 PM
Weird Sound From Clutch sma96 Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 18 11-29-2021 10:16 AM
Strange sound after exhaust install, please help identify. pr086 Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 22 12-24-2017 10:39 PM
Weird sound when throttling after foot is off the pedal VincentN Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 7 10-23-2017 11:16 AM
Weird Sound After Coilover Install (when moving steering wheel left and right) taimysho0 Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing 38 07-20-2013 01:18 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.