follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

Register and become an FT86Club.com member. You will see fewer ads

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-04-2026, 10:12 PM   #1
knapper
Senior Member
 
knapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: '13 Scion FR-S - Whiteout
Location: Canada
Posts: 144
Thanks: 118
Thanked 58 Times in 40 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Colossal mistake...

I was replacing my serpentine belt yesterday, and checking all of the idler pulleys, as I suspected one was shot, all three were shot so I got replacements. The bottom two came out fine; however, the top center 92mm one did not. I went slow and used some liquid wrench, but the bolt basically stripped the part of the threads on the standoff part, cracked it off, and now I am crying.

I went ahead and purchased a whole new (used) front timing cover, as I suspect this is the only way to really fix it, but was hoping someone else maybe went through this as well, and perhaps has some bright ideas before I get into the laborious job of replacing the cover.

What it looks like now:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q2v...ew?usp=sharing

What it should look like:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tgQ...usp=drive_link

Any ideas?
__________________
Current: 2013 Scion FRS - Whiteout
knapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2026, 07:23 PM   #2
cmiovino
Senior Member
 
cmiovino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Drives: 2017 BRZ PP, 2004 WRX
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 494
Thanks: 43
Thanked 363 Times in 224 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I could be crazy, but is there any reason why you can't just drill it out? (or at least attempt to before going the new timing cover route)

Obviously be careful and go slow. Small bit to start and don't go to too deep. It might get to a point it crumbles out.
__________________
2017 BRZ Limited Performance Pack - Steel Cities Region SCCA / North Hills Sports Car Club
cmiovino is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mach V Colossal Open House & Charity Car Show XI - July 9, 2016 Mach V Dan Mid-Atlantic 2 07-14-2016 04:00 PM
Mach V Colossal Open House & Charity Car Show X: August 1, 2015 Mach V Dan Mid-Atlantic 16 08-02-2015 03:54 PM
Mach V Colossal Open House & Charity Car Show IX: July 26, 2014 Mach V Dan Mid-Atlantic 5 07-25-2014 11:02 AM
Mach V Colossal Open House & Charity Car Show VIII: July 27, 2013 Mach V Dan Mid-Atlantic 33 07-31-2013 09:01 PM
Mach V Colossal Open House 7: August 4, 2012 Mach V Dan Mid-Atlantic 3 08-03-2012 02:42 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.