follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 06-09-2011, 10:49 AM   #1
Maxim

Drives: 2010 GTI 2dr Tornado Red
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
When pedestrians attack.

Today during PT (we went for a run), a Sergeant in my battalion was hit by a car going 70kph (around 40mph). The vehicle was speeding on a tank-trail early in the morning and came over a crest and hit him square in the side of his legs.

The sergeant was hit, went up over the hood of the car, ramped off the windshield and landed about 20 feet away.

The front bumper of the car was a complete loss...

Our soldier got back up, walked up to the car and pulled the driver out. We had to pull him off the guy.

He was spraying blood from a severed vein in his elbow, and had a broken bone in the middle of his hand and severe bruising on his thigh, but he's fine. A few stitches to close up the vein, painkillers for the bruised femur, and a cast on his wrist and hand.

But seriously....he got back up and pulled the driver out of the car and tried to beat him....bled all over the guy, yellin at him asking him if he was a moron. It was awesome.
Maxim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:53 AM   #2
aliphian
Dreamer

Drives: Nutless Grocery Getter
Jesus. I bet the driver shit himself when he saw the bleeding lunatic get up and start walking toward the car. LOL

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
aliphian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:56 AM   #3
Maxim

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliphian View Post
Jesus. I bet the driver shit himself when he saw the bleeding lunatic get up and start walking toward the car. LOL
Yeah everybody was in shock so nobody reacted quickly enough when the sergeant got back up, so he already had the driver out of the car and pressed up against the door before we stopped him.

I wouldn't be surprised if he never drives again...he looked like he thought he was about to die. And he got covered in blood lol. It was seriously squirting like 2 feet in little spurts out the side of his elbow.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:58 AM   #4
Sea1monkey2

Drives: 2003 Impala
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Wow, that definitely tops my car accident pedestrian attack story
Sea1monkey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:03 AM   #5
Maxim

I was pretty sure I'd just watched somebody die when it happened....then he just got back up.

The chaplain's office is right next to mine and he just got back from visiting him in the hospital, they're keeping him overnight to make sure there's no blood clots that form in the tissue around his femur....but apparently he thinks it's hilarious. The chaplain had rushed over to the hospital at 7am because he got the call, and all he knew was that a soldier had been hit by a car going 70kph....he told me he was expecting to find him in a full body cast or a coma or dead.....apparently when he came in the door the sergeant was like HEY CHAP!

Some people...
Old 06-09-2011, 11:03 AM   #6
bofa

Drives: Ms. Daisy
Sounds like a real badass... was the driver military?
Old 06-09-2011, 11:47 AM   #7
Maxim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bofa View Post
Sounds like a real badass... was the driver military?
No, it was some Major's son on his way to school from what I understand.

And of course he's a bad ass. Rangers

I'm surprised he didn't start hitting the kid...he had plenty of time before we could react....but he just pressed him against the car and yelled at him.

Honestly though, it's a pretty normal reaction. As long as somebody isn't incapacitated or crippled, an event like that makes your body dump a huge amount of adrenaline into the bloodstream. I've seen people do crazy things when they're on adrenaline; like run at you after taking 5 or 6 9mm rounds to the body, stuff like that. It's basically like a short-term amphetamine high...turns you into a freight train for about 5 minutes. You have a tendancy to pass out when it wears off though.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:06 PM   #8
Want.FR-S

Drives: 4 Wheels Auto
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxim View Post
No, it was some Major's son on his way to school from what I understand.

And of course he's a bad ass. Rangers

I'm surprised he didn't start hitting the kid...he had plenty of time before we could react....but he just pressed him against the car and yelled at him.

Honestly though, it's a pretty normal reaction. As long as somebody isn't incapacitated or crippled, an event like that makes your body dump a huge amount of adrenaline into the bloodstream. I've seen people do crazy things when they're on adrenaline; like run at you after taking 5 or 6 9mm rounds to the body, stuff like that. It's basically like a short-term amphetamine high...turns you into a freight train for about 5 minutes. You have a tendancy to pass out when it wears off though.
That is a strong Sergent that the Army has. In a typical case, that kid could easily get punches and shit if he did not come out fast. Hopefully the Sergent will recover soon.
Want.FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:10 PM   #9
Maxim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want.FR-S View Post
That is a strong Sergent that the Army has. In a typical case, that kid could easily get punches and shit if he did not come out fast. Hopefully the Sergent will recover soon.

Yeah he's a great guy. He's Spanish, still has his citizenship and everything. HUGE guy too, like 6'4''. He'll be ok, but we are about to deploy...he'll be deploying a few months late so he can heal, and he will likely get moved into a non-combat position as well. He hasn't been told yet, though I'm sure he realizes it. It's going to piss him off something fierce.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:32 PM   #10
dalli

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxim View Post
Yeah he's a great guy. He's Spanish, still has his citizenship and everything. HUGE guy too, like 6'4''. He'll be ok, but we are about to deploy...he'll be deploying a few months late so he can heal, and he will likely get moved into a non-combat position as well. He hasn't been told yet, though I'm sure he realizes it. It's going to piss him off something fierce.
Bro, I just hope he doesnt have any long term pain because that will suck. I hope he heals up fully.
dalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:34 PM   #11
Maxim

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalli View Post
Bro, I just hope he doesnt have any long term pain because that will suck. I hope he heals up fully.
They were worried about his femur, but it doesn't even have a crack in it. Thankfully, nothing hit his hips at all, which would have been disastrous, and his knees were also spared.

The elbow was soft tissue damage only, and the hand break isn't a bad one. It's a "boxers break." I've had a couple...it's a fracture in the hand.

Really though, at 40mph he's lucky to be alive.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:14 PM   #12
Random_Art
professional smartass

Drives: 16 speed mountain bike...
Seriously. It could have been a lot worse and he's quite lucky to be alive and not in a wheel chair.

Goodbye Celica, you served me well.

http://artsofrandomness.blogspot.com/
Random_Art is offline   Reply With Quote