follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 06-04-2020, 02:05 PM   #1
AldoRaine

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
JDL Turbo Kit Clearance

Greetings,

For those of you with the JDL turbo kit, how much clearance is there? I know it should sit close to the stock fan, but has this ever actually caused any issues? I don’t want it to cause an issue then have to pull everything off the car to upgrade to a slim set.
Thanks guys
AldoRaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 02:23 PM   #2
Joveen

Drives: Bone stock
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AldoRaine View Post
Greetings,

For those of you with the JDL turbo kit, how much clearance is there? I know it should sit close to the stock fan, but has this ever actually caused any issues? I don’t want it to cause an issue then have to pull everything off the car to upgrade to a slim set.

Thanks guys
Get slim fans. You could cut the stock shroud a bit but it will eventually melt. Either hold slim Fans or just get mishimoto plug n play.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Joveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 03:18 PM   #3
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,104 Times in 2,051 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Your clearance will depend on the turbo you get, and UEL or EL manifold style. Wait before buying something to hear from people who own it. The last thing you'd want to do is compromise your cooking system with a weak slim fan setup if you don't need that.

On my turbo setup, with a T3 t04e turbo with a .60ar, I did not need to cut anything. The compressor housing was very close, however. After months of running in the heat with no turbo blanket, gold foil or hood venting, my shroud showed no signs of wear. This is because with the equal length manifold, my exhaust housing lined up perfectly with the radiator support, which blocked most heat I imagine. Were I unequal length, I imagine the exhaust housing would've melted it a bit, but the compressor housing doesn't get anywhere near as hot.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 03:47 PM   #4
Steveiam

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I got the JDL slim fan as preventative. There are people that hasn't had fitment issues with stock fan, but also others that couldn't fit at all even after a lot of wiggling. Mishimoto has the same CFM and restriction as stock fan, but it's enough for a daily.
Steveiam is offline   Reply With Quote