follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 09-08-2019, 10:09 PM   #1
BBRaven

Drives: 2013 Raven Turbo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Noob owner needs help: Part 1 (PCV & BOV)

Firstly, i tried to do the most broad search on these forums for anything with keyword "PCV", and i get no results. I get no results no matter what i search, so im not sure what im doing wrong. I'm a new owner of a 2013 FRS with a SPD 400x turbo kit, trying to learn the most i can and refine this build. This car has just the turbo kit with an open flash tablet custom tune and an upgraded clutch, no other engine supporting mods.

Can i have the PCV VTA and run a dedicated vacuum line from my TIAL BOV to the IM port? My BOV is having delayed reaction, and i believe its because its T'd off of the brake booster vacuum. I used the OFT to see what the engine vacuum was and i saw 8-13, so i bought the black TIAL spring and that one caused to BOV to stay wide open.
BBRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 03:26 PM   #2
Amputechture

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Yes, you can use the intake manifold as a vacuum source. You will have to use a hose adapter, probably multiple ones, to step down enough as the IM port is much much larger than the one on your BOV. I am t'd off of the brake booster with a Tial Q BOV and haven't had any issues. What do you mean by a delayed reaction, as in you shift or let off throttle and you don't hear your BOV vent right away? What value are you reading/logging to see vacuum...engine vac is read in inches of mercury (in. -Hg) these motors pull a shitload of vacuum in the -18 to -22ish neighborhood.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:34 PM   #3
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBRaven View Post
Firstly, i tried to do the most broad search on these forums for anything with keyword "PCV", and i get no results. I get no results no matter what i search, so im not sure what im doing wrong. I'm a new owner of a 2013 FRS with a SPD 400x turbo kit, trying to learn the most i can and refine this build. This car has just the turbo kit with an open flash tablet custom tune and an upgraded clutch, no other engine supporting mods.

Can i have the PCV VTA and run a dedicated vacuum line from my TIAL BOV to the IM port? My BOV is having delayed reaction, and i believe its because its T'd off of the brake booster vacuum. I used the OFT to see what the engine vacuum was and i saw 8-13, so i bought the black TIAL spring and that one caused to BOV to stay wide open.

Just a little search tip, never search anything through the forum, you will never find anything. What works for me is googling ft86club followed by your search parameters then narrow down the results to ones on the ft86club forum.
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:58 PM   #4
BBRaven

Drives: 2013 Raven Turbo
By delayed reaction, i mean i hear slight compressor surge, and then a little bit of the BOV. I was reading between 8-13 with the OFT built in monitoring feature. I never thought of it, but is it possible that this car doesn't have the upgraded 3 bar MAP sensor?
BBRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 06:39 PM   #5
James Russels

Drives: 2013 FRS
I have this exact issue, and came here to post about it, but I'll just piggyback here since you've already explained it. I have the JDL kit, but I have an automatic transmission so instead of my BOV pulling vacuum from the brake booster line, I have it hooked up directly to the intake manifold. I was getting turbo flutter on the spring the BOV came with, so I bought a pack of two inner springs (-4 inhg and -8 inhg) and one outer spring (-15 inhg). I still get flutter with the -8 inhg spring, even though this converts to -3.92 psi and my idle vacuum shows anywhere between -6 to -8 psi. When I tried the -4 inhg spring, the BOV is open at idle. So this makes me think there is an issue with the connection between the IM and the BOV, but I've checked it multiple times and all connections are secure. Could it be that I need tubing with a larger inner diameter?
James Russels is offline   Reply With Quote