follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-27-2019, 02:22 AM   #1
Butterballz

Drives: Black FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
More strange noises pedal area.

Trying to diagnosis a strange noise coming from the pedal area but also sound like it could be higher like near the steering wheel column. It doesn't sound mechanical but more electrical. It doesn't happen consistently, usually when I let go of the gas to decelerate and start to push the brakes. It seems connected to the brake pedal but it also happens less frequently when I push the clutch pedal so maybe its the assembly. Usually happens 60% of the time and does not sound mechanical like a creaky pivot joint. It a weird electrical sound so maybe it's wire related?

Only noticed it recently so I don't know how long its been going on. Doesn't seem to affect anything besides being annoying. Been noticing my brake fluid level slowly dropping probably goes from full to halfway after 5k+ miles but I attributed that to the pads wearing but not sure.
Butterballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 03:04 AM   #2
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,596 Times in 18,970 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
If only there was a device that could record sound and then share it for all to hear.
Old 07-27-2019, 06:45 AM   #3
Larphraulen

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ 6m; 2012 VW GLI 6m
I get a sound like that as well. It's very difficult to describe and it's pretty quiet. It's not constant. Usually just 1 or 2 seconds periodically.

For me, it seems like it comes from the foot well by the driver's side door. Doesn't seem to change the driving dynamics so I don't really worry much about it.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
Larphraulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 02:12 PM   #4
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,946 Times in 16,476 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'd suggest you go squeak hunting with a can of silicone spray. Report back when you make a kill and let us know what you shot.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 02:15 PM   #5
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
If only there was a device that could record sound and then share it for all to hear.
Well, it must be just past midnight and ol Ultramaroon just turned into a SA pumpkin -

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (07-27-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 02:22 PM   #6
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well, it must be just past midnight and ol Ultramaroon just turned into a SA pumpkin -
Someone hacked my account.
Old 07-27-2019, 02:27 PM   #7
humfrz

Quote:
Riiiiiiiiiiight!

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (07-27-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 05:32 PM   #8
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
too bad they're as boring as you usually are. usually hackers are more fun
Ultramaroon (07-27-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 05:36 PM   #9
Butterballz

Quote:
Yea sorry it has been a long work week. I'll try to grab a recording of it. Hopefully, I can record it over my exhaust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larphraulen View Post
I get a sound like that as well. It's very difficult to describe and it's pretty quiet. It's not constant. Usually just 1 or 2 seconds periodically.

For me, it seems like it comes from the foot well by the driver's side door. Doesn't seem to change the driving dynamics so I don't really worry much about it.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
I originally thought it was my driver door speaker but I turned off my radio and it still made the noise.
The Following User Says Thank You to Butterballz For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (07-27-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 06:36 PM   #10
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterballz View Post
Yea sorry it has been a long work week. I'll try to grab a recording of it. Hopefully, I can record it over my exhaust.
Maybe you can get someone to help hold the phone up in there while you reproduce it. I was having fun. In reality it can be a challenge to capture weird little sounds.

Oh, I also reread carefully. That's a LOT of brake fluid. Definitely not pad wear. Look for a leak. If you don't see anything, it may be dumping into the brake booster diaphragm. That's a bitch to verify but you shouldn't have to completely remove the master cylinder. If you loosen it enough to see the back end, it should be completely dry.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:52 PM   #11
Butterballz

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0NkzrUX7UrB

Uploaded to vocaroo but it downgraded the quality. It sounds a lot higher pitch in real life (2 or so octaves) but now that I listen to the recording as it was recorded on my phone, it does sound like mechanical. This happened while braking but it also happened less frequently while pushing in the clutch. Same high pitch noise. I'll ignore it and lube up the pedals when winter comes.

Now I just need to figure out the brake fluid issue. Is there any way to pull out the master cylinder without unhooking the hardlines? If I have to unhook the hardlines, might as well just replace the master and booster since I'm already 80% of the way there. Checked my caliper bleeder valves, no leak that I can feel. Need to check the pistons to see if there are any leaks around the seals and lines but too hot right now to do it. Brakes still feel fine. Pumped the brakes with the car off and it bled off the pressure as it should and the pedal fell to the ground when I started the car. Can't feel the pedal dropping slowly while pressed either. The only issue I have with the brake is the amount I need to push to stop. In the morning I need to press it about even with the gas pedal (I have pedal spacer) for it to brake then after a couple of miles of normal driving brakings, I have to push a little bit further probably half an inch or so below the gas pedal for the same amount of braking. Probably just pads heating up. Currently on Winmax W2 with 1 track day on it.

I topped off the fluid right at the full line and will see how many miles before it goes halfway to get a better idea of how fast it is falling.
Old 07-29-2019, 12:17 AM   #12
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

If it's not leaking at any of the wheels, or at the ABS unit, it's most likely the master cylinder anyhow. You may also find the source of your noise. Look at the link in my sig line for more.

https://demos.starbase7.net/t3Portal...01HJD01QX.html
Old 07-29-2019, 03:01 PM   #13
ActionMaxon
Professional Auto Fixer

Drives: 2016 Oceanic FR-S as Designed
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Definitely sounds like a brake issue. You can usually slide the master enough to check for fluid leakage without hardline removal. Your pedal feel when stopping shouldn't change hot/cold under normal driving. Good luck. Keep us posted

2016 Oceanic
ActionMaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 03:01 PM   #14
Butterballz

Update: Had the dealer pull the master cylinder and they said it was dry. They also told me the pads had about 4-5mm left. Seems low since I checked and there was more than that in thickness but I think its 4-5mm from recommended minimum thickness. Not sure if that amount of wear would account for the drop in fluid. I think I would have seen a difference after a track day but the fluid drop happened over time since that track day so it strange.