follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 08-12-2018, 01:53 PM   #1
DJ_JAZZY_DJENT
j@ckoffofalltrades

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
51k-throwing codes-wont idle

Bought brand new, immediately put light pulleys and drop in air cleaner,
(drove almost a year w MAF CEL on, but car pulled hard and I didn't pay much attn to it. Always 91 and 0w20 mobile 1, recently replaced the throw-out bearing and put on a new clutch and lighter flywheel, subsequently as the bearing was failing, the car began stalling. Lack of power and a handful of codes. Main code I am seeing after multiple resets and replacing 1&3 plugs/coils and a Vvt ocv solenoid, and MAF is: P0011 & P0021
and still P0102 and P0351. Toyota of van nuys wouldn't reflash my ecu either. Car starts up and runs perfect or about a minute then stalls. any ideas? Has to be sensor, ecu or a bad wire eh? if my cam chain skipped a tooth wouldn't it knock like a killer in a horror film?
DJ_JAZZY_DJENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:51 PM   #2
dutchman1

Drives: 2017 86 6-Speed
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Disregard, my previous answer if you read, sorry skimmed through the post and missed a few details.

It's definitely possible you're off a tooth on the cam. One tooth they'll typically still run, just like shit. Multiple teeth and it won't run at all and you may have contact. If you suspect an ecu, dealers typically have unlocked spare ecus you can plug in to to see if the issue go away. If you can get your hands on one of those that would eliminate that issue pretty quickly.

Just to simplify the troubleshooting process I'd knock out the MAF sensor issue first. Clean the sensor (with MAF cleaner, not generic electrical cleaner), check the connection point. Verify proper resistance at the sensor (can find it in the service manual), then determine that you don't have an open or ground in the circuit. That's the simple one, I'd start there. If you do have a bad connector somewhere, this would lead you to it as well.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:02 PM   #3
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_JAZZY_DJENT View Post
Bought brand new, immediately put light pulleys and drop in air cleaner,
(drove almost a year w MAF CEL on, but car pulled hard and I didn't pay much attn to it. Always 91 and 0w20 mobile 1, recently replaced the throw-out bearing and put on a new clutch and lighter flywheel, subsequently as the bearing was failing, the car began stalling. Lack of power and a handful of codes. Main code I am seeing after multiple resets and replacing 1&3 plugs/coils and a Vvt ocv solenoid, and MAF is: P0011 & P0021
and still P0102 and P0351. Toyota of van nuys wouldn't reflash my ecu either. Car starts up and runs perfect or about a minute then stalls. any ideas? Has to be sensor, ecu or a bad wire eh? if my cam chain skipped a tooth wouldn't it knock like a killer in a horror film?

Check the wire on the MAF sensor harness, P0102 is still tied to maf and P0351 might be a seperate coil pack issue...
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
timing