|
||||||
| Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain. |
![]() |
|
|
Thread Tools | Search this Thread |
|
|
#1 |
|
Member
Join Date: May 2018
Drives: Slow
Location: TX
Posts: 67
Thanks: 26
Thanked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
|
Transmission and rear differential drain plugs: Are they magnetic?
So every car I've owned, I've always changed the engine oil, transmission fluid and rear differential oil after the break-in period. I'm not sure how well the 86's fluids hold up after break-in but I figure I'll keep with what I've always done anyway since it can't possibly hurt except maybe a little in the wallet.
![]() My question is, does the drain plugs for the transmission and rear diff come magnetic from the factory or should I upgrade both? Obviously, I can't check because I'll end up draining them. I've tried watching videos but I've seen some showing the transmission's drain plug not having one but the read diff having one and vice versa. So, I'm a little confused. I have the 2018 Toyota 86 GT Black, if that makes a difference. I'm not sure if Toyota/Subaru has changed from previous year models or not.
Last edited by Seanzky; 07-18-2018 at 07:59 PM. |
|
|
|
|
|
#2 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2016
Drives: BRZ
Location: Mendocino County
Posts: 369
Thanks: 7
Thanked 96 Times in 75 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
|
they are magnetic. take them out and see for yourself
|
|
|
|
|
|
#3 |
|
Member
Join Date: May 2018
Drives: Slow
Location: TX
Posts: 67
Thanks: 26
Thanked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
|
So both are magnetic???
I saw the FT86SpeedFactory video where Tomas upgraded the transmission drain plug with a magnetic one on his 2017 and not the rear diff because it was already magnetic. I can't take mine out to check for myself until I'm ready to change them out in about 40-50 miles or so. Before I do that, I'd want the magnetic drain plugs in hand already if I do need to upgrade them. Otherwise, I'd be doing the work twice not to mention buying more gear oil. Hehe. |
|
|
|
|
|
#4 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 30,436
Thanks: 29,833
Thanked 32,866 Times in 16,849 Posts
Mentioned: 717 Post(s)
|
It's my understanding that they both are magnetic (2013 FR-S).
I will be able to confirm that when and if I ever reach 50,000 some miles (maybe in another 5 years) - ![]() humfrz |
|
|
|
|
|
#5 | |
|
Member
Join Date: May 2018
Drives: Slow
Location: TX
Posts: 67
Thanks: 26
Thanked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
|
Quote:
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#6 |
|
Resident Gear Head
Join Date: Nov 2012
Drives: 2013 BRZ
Location: Ohio
Posts: 734
Thanks: 264
Thanked 914 Times in 339 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
|
I can confirm the trans is magnetic I just pulled it a few weeks ago
2013 BRZ
__________________
Subaru BRZ/FRS Facebook News and Tech Page
My FB Build page CLICK AND LIKE! Twitter and Instagram @misairubrz |
|
|
|
|
|
#7 |
|
Member
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: 13 mt fr-s
Location: Halton Hills, Ont.
Posts: 171
Thanks: 73
Thanked 96 Times in 48 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
|
Can confirm the diff drain plug is also magnetic.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#8 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2015
Drives: 2014 GT86
Location: Latvia, Riga
Posts: 4,336
Thanks: 698
Thanked 2,091 Times in 1,437 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
|
Makes me think what aftermarket magnetic ones were made for then.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#9 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2016
Drives: BRZ 2017 Pure Red, MT
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 309
Thanks: 122
Thanked 121 Times in 83 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#10 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 69,838
Thanks: 61,656
Thanked 108,295 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2499 Post(s)
|
The drain plug is sorrta standard across many different makes and models of cars. Many of them are not magnetic so an aftermarket one makes sense. Just because they fit our cars doesn't mean they are needed.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#11 |
|
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: S2000 CR
Location: Orange County
Posts: 14,564
Thanks: 8,942
Thanked 14,214 Times in 6,856 Posts
Mentioned: 970 Post(s)
|
They are both magnetic from the factory.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#12 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2018
Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 428
Thanks: 500
Thanked 277 Times in 178 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
|
Yep! and you're gonna find some nice sludge on both of them.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#13 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 30,436
Thanks: 29,833
Thanked 32,866 Times in 16,849 Posts
Mentioned: 717 Post(s)
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#14 |
|
The Gunshine State
Join Date: Aug 2016
Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,463
Thanks: 631
Thanked 1,163 Times in 587 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
|
Gimmick item.
__________________
![]() Current DD: M235i |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Similar Threads
|
||||
| Thread | Thread Starter | Forum | Replies | Last Post |
| Changing Differential and Transmission fluid | Seabass47 | Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) | 3 | 02-20-2017 12:21 AM |
| Changing Automatic Transmission Fluid | euthqt | Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) | 4 | 06-01-2016 03:16 AM |
| Different brand rear fluid changing torque bias? | zooki | Engine, Exhaust, Transmission | 1 | 09-06-2015 10:13 PM |
| Differential and Transmission Fluid Swap with Red Line Oil - 2013 Subaru BRZ | JPxM0Dz | Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) | 1 | 05-05-2013 05:12 PM |
| Transmission and Differential Fluid Change LINK | Amadeus | DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides | 1 | 12-23-2012 06:01 PM |