|
||||||
| Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs |
![]() |
|
|
Thread Tools | Search this Thread |
|
|
#1 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2013
Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 2,348
Thanks: 1,258
Thanked 906 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
|
Dash/firewall creak
My BRZ has developed some sort of weird creak that is coming from either the firewall or dash. It almost has a metal on metal squeak to it. A shop thinks it’s the dash and this only happens probably once a day for about 2 min and then goes away. I would say it’s more behind the dash than behind the glove box in terms of height.
Here’s a video: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef8lPMI-Lvo&sns=em"]BRZ dash creak - YouTube[/ame] My car was missing upper spring perch isolators for quite some time, but even adding them again hasn’t fixed this noise. I’m thinking this is more chassis than suspension. Any ideas? |
|
|
|
|
|
#2 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 69,838
Thanks: 61,656
Thanked 108,295 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2499 Post(s)
|
You only have one creak? If in the dash just live with it. Trying to fix it will probably just result in several new and different creaks.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#3 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2013
Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 2,348
Thanks: 1,258
Thanked 906 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
|
Most creaks I can live with, but this one is actually much louder in person than in the video. It almost sounds like something is wrong with the firewall, kinda like how 2008 wrxs had the firewall fail. But I agree taking apart the dash opens a whole can of worms I may regret lol.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#4 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 30,436
Thanks: 29,833
Thanked 32,866 Times in 16,849 Posts
Mentioned: 717 Post(s)
|
Well, I'd suggest you take a can of silicone spray with a long snout and go squeak hunting.
I'd suggest you have a co-pilot drive while you are hunting. humfrz Reminds me of the time that I had a squeak in the dash of my MGB. It was a cold, dark, winter night in CT. My wife and I had just left a holiday party at about 2AM and I was quite liquored up. The damn dash did its squeaking thing, so, I hit it hard with a drunken fist ..... right in the center. The squeaking stopped. However, the next morning, I noticed that my vinyl dash cover had a nice long crack in it ..... right where I whacked it ....... but it never squeaked again ...... ![]() humfrz |
|
|
|
|
|
#5 |
|
Member
Join Date: Jun 2017
Drives: European gt86
Location: France
Posts: 92
Thanks: 36
Thanked 23 Times in 14 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
|
Did you fixed it ?
|
|
|
|
|
|
#6 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2013
Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 2,348
Thanks: 1,258
Thanked 906 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
|
This ended up being the pillow ball bearing in my camber plates.
The main bearing was smacking against its races whenever I would hit any kind of bump. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Similar Threads
|
||||
| Thread | Thread Starter | Forum | Replies | Last Post |
| Steering Column Creak | michaelahess | Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB | 12 | 06-27-2018 01:14 AM |
| Router Firewall help? | MuseChaser | Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] | 5 | 01-22-2017 02:10 PM |
| Cable through engine Firewall Plug help | Autocon | Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) | 5 | 08-04-2016 07:07 PM |
| Seat belt Receptacle Creak | Wes | Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB | 2 | 05-21-2013 06:25 PM |
| Wiring Firewall? | skoodge | Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum | 3 | 05-29-2012 03:10 AM |