follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 12-16-2017, 02:53 PM   #1
fafaforza

Drives: evox
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Possible to mount BRZ seats to Planted brackets?

Hey guys, I'm thinking of replacing the regular Lancer seats in my Evo X with some BRZ/FRS ones.

Plan would be to remove the mounting brackets from the bottom slider, and mount that to a Planted bracket.

That way I'd retain the slider and have height adjustment, which aftermarket seats wouldn't have.

Thoughts? I think the Planted base has many holes for a lot of mounting options. But maybe I'm missing something that would be a show stopper.
fafaforza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 03:46 PM   #2
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafaforza View Post
Hey guys, I'm thinking of replacing the regular Lancer seats in my Evo X with some BRZ/FRS ones.

Plan would be to remove the mounting brackets from the bottom slider, and mount that to a Planted bracket.

That way I'd retain the slider and have height adjustment, which aftermarket seats wouldn't have.

Thoughts? I think the Planted base has many holes for a lot of mounting options. But maybe I'm missing something that would be a show stopper.
Should work fine. I seem to recall the Lancer brackets were fairly wide spaced but if the Planted ones give sideways adjustment as well as front to back all should work out.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:55 PM   #3
fafaforza

Yeah, I had another thread on here asking for slider measurement. The slider spacing is wider on the Evo.

Thanks. Guess I'll take the plunge on some eBay seats, see how she goes.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:56 PM   #4
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yeah, I had another thread on here asking for slider measurement. The slider spacing is wider on the Evo.

Thanks. Guess I'll take the plunge on some eBay seats, see how she goes.
Even if you had to make up a custom adapter plate it wouldn't be too difficult or expensive.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:04 PM   #5
Surok
Wise old man

Drives: 86 GTS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
why dont you like evoX recaros?
Surok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:17 PM   #6
Gunman

Drives: 2019 Mazda Miata RF
Thanked 1,317 Times in 736 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
With enough time, skill, or money, anything is possible.
Gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gunman For This Useful Post:
Cole (12-17-2017)
Old 12-17-2017, 07:19 PM   #7
fafaforza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surok View Post
why dont you like evoX recaros?
They have no height adjustment, neither one. And being 6'2", I could barely fit my hand between the wheel and my knees. The front of the seat is also long and at a higher angle, which leaves no room for your legs to move down.

And because the steering wheel has no telescoping adjustment, you have to sit closer so that you're not reaching, and instead have better control. So if you're taller, your legs get squeezed, and you have to angle your foot up to hover it over the gas pedal, which will fatigue the front muscle of the calf and give you pain.

I sat in an FT86 today. A much more sporty sitting position. The foot was at a nice neutral angle, not having to flex my muscle to constantly lift my foot over the pedal.

And the shifter was great, too. Really accurate and smooth and clicky. Can't imagine any mis-shifts with that thing.

Seating position complaints go back as far as the Evo 8. Mitsu couldn't be bothered to add a telescoping wheel, something even budget cars have. A Chevy Cruze I rented had a more sporty seating position lol.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:33 PM   #8
Surok
Wise old man

well. you realise one is a sports car and one is a little sedan right?
best to get the lowering brackets for the stock recaros, it fixes alot of the issues you mention.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:52 PM   #9
fafaforza

Yeah, well it's a sporty sedan. An STi has a sporty position. So does an Audi S4. So it's definitely possible. And it's not possible to lower the stock mounts. There's a frame piece going across the floor, and the slider is pretty much level with that, can't go lower.

I thought about getting a "looser" spring for the underside of the stock seat which would lower the bottom cushion. Benefit would be that it would retain the airbag and stuff.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:57 PM   #10
Surok
Wise old man

Quote:
Yeah, well it's a sporty sedan. An STi has a sporty position. So does an Audi S4. So it's definitely possible. And it's not possible to lower the stock mounts. There's a frame piece going across the floor, and the slider is pretty much level with that, can't go lower.

I thought about getting a "looser" spring for the underside of the stock seat which would lower the bottom cushion. Benefit would be that it would retain the airbag and stuff.
damn... in Evo 7/8/9 you could get lowering brackets

https://www.binaryeng.com/products/e...ering-brackets
Old 12-18-2017, 10:01 AM   #11
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Oh man, I like the Evo X Recaros. If you need a buyer for them I'd be interested pending your asking price.

(My Forester XT has WRX seats that are a bit on the old side, I wouldn't mind a bit of an upgrade.)
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 10:03 AM   #12
fafaforza

Yeah I had those and a Recaro off the 2006 Integra Type R in my 8, was sitting nice and low.