follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIA Australia and New Zealand

User Tag List

Old 07-22-2012, 12:08 AM   #1
UnLeasHer

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS & Mazda 3 SP23
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
traction control and abs lights coming on after 20mins?

darn it. took the car for a long drive to blue mountains... and now the traction control and abs lights are coming on after 20mins of driving. if i turn the engine off it goes off for around 20mins and then comes back on

ive pressed every button... while moving and not. twice. manual doesbt help either. the driving doesnt seem to be different thou, just that these notifications are on.

toyota dealer tomoz.

anyone else with the same issue?
UnLeasHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:19 AM   #2
JiB

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
i have seen a few people complaining of a similar issue in the FRS section. When the lights are on does the ABS and traction still work?
Old 07-22-2012, 12:22 AM   #3
tibsy92

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Thunder Silver MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
try launch control at 3000 rpm.. if the wheels spin and the traction lights dont flash then you know theres an electrical issue with the ecu and the traction system... had it on my previous car.. launch control proved i had an error in the ecu and traction system. be careful or have fun with it
tibsy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tibsy92 For This Useful Post:
UnLeasHer (07-22-2012)
Old 07-22-2012, 01:01 AM   #4
UnLeasHer

thanks guys...

furkkk now cruise control wont workkk. Something funny is going on. i did see something in the manual about the car automatically changing its settings depending on driving conditions, wondering if the rain had something to do with all this.

TOYOTAAAAAA @#%&*&@*@*#**##%#!!! Ill take it to a service centre tomorrow - modes + cruise control not working = uncool
Old 07-22-2012, 01:17 AM   #5
tibsy92

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnLeasHer View Post
thanks guys...

furkkk now cruise control wont workkk. Something funny is going on. i did see something in the manual about the car automatically changing its settings depending on driving conditions, wondering if the rain had something to do with all this.

TOYOTAAAAAA @#%&*&@*@*#**##%#!!! Ill take it to a service centre tomorrow - modes + cruise control not working = uncool
for safety reasons cruise control disengages when the traction is engaged by the ecu / or not functioning properly.
just a bad sensor most likely.
yeah im bored at work so forums and movies keep me entertained
Old 07-22-2012, 01:38 AM   #6
UnLeasHer

im thinking it was related to the rain. stopped at the lights (again) after he rain had stopped, turned off car and turned back on and its fine now. cruise control works and now my sports buttons work again.

very inneresting... i think the rain (very strong), with lots of corners made the car select this mode for itself and disabled the other fuctions. very strange! ill call the service centre instead of going... ill probably get, 'young, female and asian driver' as a passing comment!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UnLeasHer For This Useful Post:
JiB (07-22-2012), tibsy92 (07-22-2012)
Old 07-22-2012, 01:41 AM   #7
JiB

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
lol ^
Old 07-22-2012, 02:01 AM   #8
tibsy92

Garage
youd expect the traction to defs be on in the heavy rain..
Old 07-22-2012, 02:11 AM   #9
UnLeasHer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibsy92 View Post
youd expect the traction to defs be on in the heavy rain..
there are two traction notifications in my car. one for when the vsc sports button is pressed and this one today... i wonder if the notification means it on and cant be tirned off until conditions are better? they look the samw but are located in different places.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:32 AM   #10
tibsy92

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnLeasHer View Post
there are two traction notifications in my car. one for when the vsc sports button is pressed and this one today... i wonder if the notification means it on and cant be tirned off until conditions are better? they look the samw but are located in different places.
that mode is what the button on the right does.. limited traction control.. it doesnt turn off the traction fully but puts it into a "sports mode"...
try pressing and playing around with the buttons in the middle.. seems odd tho.. eh we'll find out tomorrow and the rest of us will know what to do
Old 07-22-2012, 04:38 AM   #11
450hp/tonne

Drives: 2011 Corolla Ascent Sport
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
There are so many different things this could mean.
For your own safety, don't play around with it and have the dealer look at it. They have the tools and training to see the diagnostics codes and troubleshoot accordingly.
450hp/tonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:16 AM   #12
sirus
86 Owner

Drives: White GTS 86
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Normally when those lights come on one of the sensors is faulty. It's kind of wierd that it has suddenly gone off by it's self as they normally just stay on. I don't think the rain should of affected it like it did.
The non VSC button I think is meant to disable traction control. But I think to turn it off completly you need to hold it down for 5 sec or so?
Looks like we'd better read the manual...

On the road. Check your mirrors!
sirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #13
UnLeasHer

Took the little one to the service center.

The guys down there said there was nothing wrong with the computer, and everything was fine.

They think that having the traction and abs notification on in the driving conditions I was in (wet, lots of corners, higher speeds) was normal, and that the car pre-selected this driving option (i.e. also turning off cruise control and options for other drive types (i.e. traction off, sports VSC (and for those with GTS 'sports' and 'snow')).

If this happens to you - the notifications coming on means that the car is letting you know (additional?) traction and ABS is ON - it does not mean that there is a fault to be checked. After the driving conditions improve, and you have turned the car off for 1 min and back on the car should take these notifications off. If not, then there might be something wrong.

I said that I did not noticed any different handling but they said it couldve been such a tiny change that I did not notice the difference (which is most likely true being asian, young and female LOL).

Car is a.o.k and smarter than I thought.

86drift (07-23-2012)
Old 07-22-2012, 11:03 PM   #14
tibsy92

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirus View Post
Normally when those lights come on one of the sensors is faulty. It's kind of wierd that it has suddenly gone off by it's self as they normally just stay on. I don't think the rain should of affected it like it did.
The non VSC button I think is meant to disable traction control. But I think to turn it off completly you need to hold it down for 5 sec or so?
Looks like we'd better read the manual...
Hold that 'non vsc' button, the traction off button, disables all stability and control, for at least 8 seconds till notification comes up, put it in first, rev to 3k rpm, let go of the clutch, put your foot down on accelerator and have fun.

Just don't keep it off when taking corners with a bit too much acceleration. Use vsc