follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-08-2017, 02:11 AM   #1
martin05rc

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86, Manual Transmission
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
New '86 owner

Hey folks, just got a 2017 Toyota 86, manual transmission a few weeks ago. Between my son and I we've only put about 1,500 miles on it so far. Love the car.

I am starting to research modifications. I have read through a number of threads here and will do some more reading. I'm wondering if, given my requirements, someone might be able to shove me in the right direction on this project. Maybe links to threads you know match what I want to do?

So, what do I want to do?

Well, add power is the most obvious one. Back in '93 I owned a couple of Mazda RX-7's. One was a single turbo and the other was a '93 twin turbo. That car left a memory in the back of my head somewhere. I have a feeling that the '86 with another 80 HP or so would feel very much like the twin turbo RX-7 of old (I wish I had kept that car!).

Anyhow, I am looking at the Cosworth supercharger as the primary means of increasing power. It looks like +80 HP is easy to achieve with that setup.

I hesitate to upgrade the exhaust system. I'm not into making a lot of noise and I am very concerned about this.

I also read about issues with oxygen sensors causing errors depending on which parts of the exhaust system you upgrade and how. And so this is of concern. I'm not interested in a nightmare. I want this car to wake up one day with, say, 50% more pony's and yet be "normal" to drive every day.

I'll do tires and wheels later. I'll probably beat up the existing tires a little bit and then swap them out. I bought it with the stock wheels and tires because I didn't want to pay dealer markup on that stuff. My guess is that a good set of tires and lighter wheels could make a significant difference.

I am going to find a local tuner shop with a dyno and get a baseline measurement before making any changes. I want to be able to quantify the effects of any modifications or tunings.

Track time?

My son and I have been at Willow Springs a couple of times. When we do we've paid to rent their cars rather than use ours. In one case my son hit the brakes late going into a corner and slid right off the track, a rock hit the oil pan and cut a hole in it. It's a great feeling when it isn't your car.

So, I don't know if we are going to take the '86 to the track. If we do it probably won't be for a while.

Anyhow, that's long enough. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Martin
martin05rc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to martin05rc For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (05-08-2017), CSG Mike (05-09-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 03:39 AM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 32,202 Times in 16,572 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin05rc View Post
Hey folks, just got a 2017 Toyota 86, manual transmission a few weeks ago. ........
Anyhow, that's long enough. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Martin
Well, HELLO, martin05rc and WELCOME to our happy crowd ......

It's nice you and your son can share the enjoyment of your new machine.

Your best "power mod" might be spending time on a track (especially your son)..... to learn how to handle this car with what it has .....

As far as track time ...... my take is that you can have just as much fun on a track with this car right out of the box, as you can with a bunch of power mods ...... it just takes a tad longer to go around ..... but who are you racing .....

A supercharger and a tune would definitely up the power gain......

I understand that the sound that comes out of this car that has a header, can be tamed, with the appropriate exhaust parts.

Yep, tires are a good mod on down the road.

Lots of the guys have done lots of power and handling mods on this car ..... so, you will get all kinds of good input.

Also, searching will uncover much information.

Have fun .....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (05-08-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 11:42 AM   #3
martin05rc

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well, HELLO, martin05rc and WELCOME to our happy crowd
Thanks.

Yeah, I get the sense that the Cosworth supercharger and a new set of tires down the road will serve my needs well. In other words, no noisy header.

I hadn't thought much about suspension mods. I need to read through some threads. I am not interested in lowering it as it is likely to affect every day driving. If available I could see myself going for a more advanced electronically adjustable suspension that might allow both ride height and ride dynamics adjustments on the fly. That could be interesting.

-Martin
The Following User Says Thank You to martin05rc For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (05-08-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 11:50 AM   #4
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,289 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thanks.

Yeah, I get the sense that the Cosworth supercharger and a new set of tires down the road will serve my needs well. In other words, no noisy header.

I hadn't thought much about suspension mods. I need to read through some threads. I am not interested in lowering it as it is likely to affect every day driving. If available I could see myself going for a more advanced electronically adjustable suspension that might allow both ride height and ride dynamics adjustments on the fly. That could be interesting.

-Martin
In order to get the most out of a supercharger you will need to open up the exhaust. No sense blowing air in that can't get back out again. It can be done without making it loud.
Never seen any electronic suspension for it. Would think it would cost way more than the benefits would warrant.
Clipdat (05-08-2017), humfrz (05-08-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 12:12 PM   #5
imnotsureaboutbrz

Drives: between cars...
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
In order to get the most out of a supercharger you will need to open up the exhaust. No sense blowing air in that can't get back out again. It can be done without making it loud.
This is a very good and true statement. A quality header (ACE350/Club400) will make a big difference in your cars overall gains. Also in your research you will find products like @CSG Mike and co.s Laguna Seca 90 exhaust which provides good flow but does not exceed 90 decibels.

I'm looking forward to your project, I like your style, simple just more power!
imnotsureaboutbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to imnotsureaboutbrz For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (05-08-2017), CSG Mike (05-09-2017), humfrz (05-08-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 12:15 PM   #6
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 32,202 Times in 16,572 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thanks.

-Martin
About the suspension, I get the idea that most folks who modify the suspension, do it to lower the car. If you are satisfied with the ride height, I wouldn't modify the suspension for average driving or moderate track use.

That is an interesting idea about adding a supercharger and not opening up the exhaust. Like @Tcoat says , the restricted exhaust just might be a limiting factor in gaining more power.

But, if you do put on an aftermarket header and mess with the cats, the CA emissions folks may mess with you.

I'd suggest that you contact the maker of the supercharger and talk to them about how their product would work with the stock exhaust system.

Happy modding!

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (05-08-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 12:49 PM   #7
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,853 Times in 3,677 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Great responses so far. I'd go with the Edelbrock SC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:57 PM   #8
martin05rc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
Great responses so far. I'd go with the Edelbrock SC.
Yes, I'm encouraged by the responses. I've been going through other threads as well to learn more.

Can you explain why you'd recommend Edelbrock?

I'll admit to be a Formula 1 snob. Cosworth has a lot of clout in that domain.

That said, Edelbrock is also a very well respected company with lots of history.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:02 PM   #9
Tcoat

Quote:
Yes, I'm encouraged by the responses. I've been going through other threads as well to learn more.

That said, Edelbrock is also a very well respected company with lots of history.
Well there is this:

"E-FORCE SUPERCHARGER WARRANTY INFORMATION
We're so confident in the engineering, manufacturing, quality and proven performance of our E-Force Supercharger Systems that we're backing them up with an unprecedented new warranty.
Our new Limited Powertrain Warranty will pay up to $16,500 to cover the cost of parts and repairs for engine, transmission and rear axle components if a warranted vehicle suffers a mechanical failure. Now you can outfit your ride with an E-Force Supercharger and have the peace of mind that you'll be covered!"

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/...y/eforce.shtml
Clipdat (05-08-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 01:06 PM   #10
Dennett_

Drives: Sprintex Supercharged FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Never seen any electronic suspension for it. Would think it would cost way more than the benefits would warrant.
Airbag suspension is just this it would allow you to adjust suspension in seconds based on what you want. It's also not too expensive when you look at high quality coilovers.
Dennett_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:08 PM   #11
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,495 Times in 5,008 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Anyhow, I am looking at the Cosworth supercharger as the primary means of increasing power. It looks like +80 HP is easy to achieve with that setup.
How long have you lived in California? Do you plan on keeping the car driven on the street or trailering it to closed circuits?

The Cosworth kit is not street legal in the United States as it's not emissions certified. There are four kits specifically emissions legal which have proven rather reliable as off the shelf bolt on and go, minimal maintenance and hunting down issues: Edelbrock, Jackson Racing, Vortech, and Kraftwerks. Works up in Sonoma offers an emissions legal turbo setup. Edelbrock and Jackson racing are local as are Counterspace Garage and Delicious tuning, you've got a ton of resources available to you.

imo drive it on track stock plus a brake pad+fluid upgrade, go look up videos of people driving it fast stock (the nut behind the wheel is usually the slowest part of the car) and enjoy it for what it is, use it to up your skill and have fun, power is overrated.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (05-08-2017), humfrz (05-08-2017), Tcoat (05-08-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 01:08 PM   #12
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,853 Times in 3,677 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Basically what @Tcoat said. Warranty, CARB legal, good company, etc.

Edit: @strat61caster beat me to it. What a guy.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:09 PM   #13
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennett_ View Post
Airbag suspension is just this it would allow you to adjust suspension in seconds based on what you want. It's also not too expensive when you look at high quality coilovers.
Airbags are not an electronic ride control system even though electronics are involved. From the OP's first post I do not think that bagging the car is on his wish list.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:11 PM   #14
200hp/tonne

Drives: Raven Fr-S
If you want to have real non-"dorifto" fun with this car, on the street or on the track, get the best tires you can, then brake pads and fluid, along with removing some junk weight (battery, spare, tools gives you 90# off).
Learn the car, get a good feel for it, then worry about power.

200hp/tonne is offline   Reply With Quote