follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 12-28-2016, 03:16 AM   #1
thecarfilmer
IG: @nickwiththefrs

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S Halo
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Winjet bulb replacement

So, both of my Winjet light bulbs died and I can barely drive at night even with the high beams on. Only had the lights for 6 months and boom, dead. They use H7 halogens correct? To those who had this happen, which bulbs did you replace it with?
Old 12-28-2016, 05:37 AM   #2
maui86

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecarfilmer View Post
So, both of my Winjet light bulbs died and I can barely drive at night even with the high beams on. Only had the lights for 6 months and boom, dead. They use H7 halogens correct? To those who had this happen, which bulbs did you replace it with?
While the projectors in the Winjets are "ok," I would highly recommend taking this opportunity to retrofit a good set of HID projectors in them. Try to find a set of Morimoto Mini D2S 3.0 projectors (email The Retrofit Source to see if they have any left,) add a set of Hylux/ACME/or Morimoto 35w ballasts and relay (TRS or Diode Dynamics,) and OSRAM Cool Blue Intense bulbs (Amazon or TRS,) and you'll be amazed at how much better you'll be able to see at night!

The Mini D2S 3.0 projectors are a direct drop in for the Winjet's; and the housings are very easy to open up with just cheap heat gun.
maui86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to maui86 For This Useful Post:
haloterence (01-06-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 04:54 PM   #3
RiskyTrousers

Drives: '87 Corolla GTS, '13 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Would it be difficult to install d2s 4.0s into the winjets? I can't seem to find the 3.0s anywhere. Maybe theres an adapter?

Thanks!
RiskyTrousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:22 PM   #4
maui86

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiskyTrousers View Post
Would it be difficult to install d2s 4.0s into the winjets? I can't seem to find the 3.0s anywhere. Maybe theres an adapter?

Thanks!
I ran into the same problem as I had decided to retro my Winjets just as TRS discontinued the Mini D2S 3.0. A few options come to mind:

1. I think I saw some NOS 3.0's in the clearance section on TRS' site over the weekend. If they are no longer there, email TRS and see if they happen to have a set laying around - That's what I did months ago and they found a set.

2. If you want to go with the 4.0's, there is a guy on one of the FB lighting groups that started making custom brackets for retrofits. If I recall correctly I saw some of his brackets going for around $75 per set. I don't remember his name, but I can look for him if you're interested.

3. Look up "nut & bolt method headlight retrofit" or a variation of it and you should find some info on mounting projectors with no direct fit.

I would definitely check with TRS first though as the 3.0's are a simple drop in (unscrew four screws holding the Winjet projector, use same four screws to secure the D2S 3.0 projector, insert bulb, wire up, re-seal and you're done.)
Old 01-09-2017, 06:09 PM   #5
RiskyTrousers

Drives: '87 Corolla GTS, '13 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maui86 View Post
I ran into the same problem as I had decided to retro my Winjets just as TRS discontinued the Mini D2S 3.0. A few options come to mind:

1. I think I saw some NOS 3.0's in the clearance section on TRS' site over the weekend. If they are no longer there, email TRS and see if they happen to have a set laying around - That's what I did months ago and they found a set.

2. If you want to go with the 4.0's, there is a guy on one of the FB lighting groups that started making custom brackets for retrofits. If I recall correctly I saw some of his brackets going for around $75 per set. I don't remember his name, but I can look for him if you're interested.

3. Look up "nut & bolt method headlight retrofit" or a variation of it and you should find some info on mounting projectors with no direct fit.

I would definitely check with TRS first though as the 3.0's are a simple drop in (unscrew four screws holding the Winjet projector, use same four screws to secure the D2S 3.0 projector, insert bulb, wire up, re-seal and you're done.)
Thanks for the info!

Do you mind getting me the info for the guy who makes the adapters?
RiskyTrousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:24 AM   #6
maui86

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiskyTrousers View Post
Thanks for the info!

Do you mind getting me the info for the guy who makes the adapters?
Looks up Custom Brackets and Design on Facebook. I haven't had any experience with his work, but from what I've seen others mention, he seems to do a fair amount of work in getting measurements correct, projector alignment just right, etc.

If you do go with him, be sure to let us know how it all turns out