|
||||||
| Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs |
![]() |
|
|
Thread Tools | Search this Thread |
|
|
#1 |
|
A.K.A. Starlord
Join Date: Oct 2013
Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,842
Thanks: 845
Thanked 2,102 Times in 835 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
|
Shifter Grind...
Has anyone else had this happen? To copy my video description: "Not sure what's going on here. It's not the gears themselves grinding. The sound comes from the shifter itself - like right there, and it "feels" like it's coming from that area too. Almost sounds like the reverse lockout is getting in the way or something. The faster I shift from 3rd to 4th, the more it makes that plastic-y grind noise before it allows me to go into gear."
I ordered a new shift knob and reverse lockout from Raceseng, so I'm waiting for those to arrive before I take anything apart. The sound and feedback are coming from right around the shifter. It used to do it only in 4th, but now I get it downshifting into 5th too. It's like something in the shift assembly is loose, and getting looser? I dunno... [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkoswloec2w"]Shifter Grind - YouTube[/ame] |
|
|
|
|
|
#2 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 30,436
Thanks: 29,833
Thanked 32,866 Times in 16,849 Posts
Mentioned: 717 Post(s)
|
I donno ...... does sound like something is lose.
Hopefully it will be apparent when you open it up to put on your new parts. humfrz ...... not being any help .....
|
|
|
|
|
|
#3 |
|
A.K.A. Starlord
Join Date: Oct 2013
Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,842
Thanks: 845
Thanked 2,102 Times in 835 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
|
Sorry, I couldn't resist :P
|
|
|
|
|
|
#4 |
|
not playing cards
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 32,394
Thanks: 53,054
Thanked 37,230 Times in 19,309 Posts
Mentioned: 1118 Post(s)
|
Are you absolutely sure it's not a worn syncro? You know we've had this discussion.
__________________
|
|
|
|
|
|
#5 | |
|
A.K.A. Starlord
Join Date: Oct 2013
Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,842
Thanks: 845
Thanked 2,102 Times in 835 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
|
Quote:
I need to get a better video. This one was rushed. I can get much better audio of the sound and you'll see what I mean. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#6 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 30,436
Thanks: 29,833
Thanked 32,866 Times in 16,849 Posts
Mentioned: 717 Post(s)
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#7 |
|
not playing cards
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 32,394
Thanks: 53,054
Thanked 37,230 Times in 19,309 Posts
Mentioned: 1118 Post(s)
|
Well, ok!
...but srsly, what does it feel like when you shift gently? Is there a difference in how it behaves upshifting versus downshifting?
__________________
|
|
|
|
|
|
#8 |
|
A.K.A. Starlord
Join Date: Oct 2013
Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,842
Thanks: 845
Thanked 2,102 Times in 835 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
|
I need to play with it more - one of the things I plan on doing now that I'm out of Chicago and in NJ for vacation. I have time, and more importantly, some open back roads to mess around on without bothering a million people.
Offhand, though, from what I can recall, it happens in either direction for 4th, and I *think* only when downshifting to 5th. I'll hopefully have more info and maybe a better video in another day or two. |
|
|
|
|
|
#9 | |
|
not playing cards
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 32,394
Thanks: 53,054
Thanked 37,230 Times in 19,309 Posts
Mentioned: 1118 Post(s)
|
Quote:
__________________
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#10 |
|
A.K.A. Starlord
Join Date: Oct 2013
Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,842
Thanks: 845
Thanked 2,102 Times in 835 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#11 |
|
not playing cards
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 32,394
Thanks: 53,054
Thanked 37,230 Times in 19,309 Posts
Mentioned: 1118 Post(s)
|
LMAO
It's my special gift.
__________________
|
|
|
|
|
|
#12 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 30,436
Thanks: 29,833
Thanked 32,866 Times in 16,849 Posts
Mentioned: 717 Post(s)
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#13 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 69,838
Thanks: 61,656
Thanked 108,295 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2499 Post(s)
|
Well the problem is obvious to me. You are shifting with your left hand!
I totally disagree that there is an actual tranny issue involved there. Like said in the opening post the noise is coming from the shifter itself not the tranny. It sounds more like the mech is sliding across a gate.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#14 | |
|
not playing cards
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 32,394
Thanks: 53,054
Thanked 37,230 Times in 19,309 Posts
Mentioned: 1118 Post(s)
|
Quote:
__________________
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Similar Threads
|
||||
| Thread | Thread Starter | Forum | Replies | Last Post |
| FS: Stock Short-Throw Shifter, Springs, and Rear Shifter Bushing | bergy | Transmission and Driveline | 8 | 10-20-2016 09:57 PM |
| Manual MT Shifter Boot Swap Onto Automatic AT Shifter Assembly? | soulstice | Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) | 52 | 01-24-2016 08:20 PM |
| Shifter springs/bushings/shifter performance | Darnold | Engine, Exhaust, Transmission | 10 | 10-22-2014 11:49 PM |
| kartboy short shifter and rear shifter bushing install and review. FR-S | UMB FR-S | DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides | 21 | 10-18-2014 01:41 AM |
| Shifter TSB 03-71-13 v. Perrin Rear Shifter Bushing | swansons | Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB | 4 | 02-02-2014 02:27 PM |