follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 08-16-2016, 10:57 PM   #1
NA_FRS86

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
My FRS sat while I made FREEDOM happen!

Good Day

So I am returning from an overseas deployment in the next 40days. Deployed for 6months in the good ol sandbox. My car sat in storage and the only thing I had was my friend start my car and let it idle for a couple minutes at least once every other week. This is not my first time leaving a car sit while I was deployed, but my FRS is my first car that was brand new off the lot. Every other car I owned I just started her right up, changed her fluids and called it a day. Just asking for any other inputs or suggestions for our twins. Thank you in advance for any help with this matter.
NA_FRS86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NA_FRS86 For This Useful Post:
FR-S 264 (08-18-2016)
Old 08-16-2016, 11:21 PM   #2
JoeC

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
love this title. Welcome home.

Maybe others will have more detailed opinions but I think you'd be just fine to change the oil and enjoy the drive.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:30 PM   #3
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Just drive it, put a fresh tank of gas. Check your tire pressures. Your set. No need to change the oil.
Unless your buddy been partying in it like a rental.

It's not a rusty pos car from the 70s. 6 months of sitting is nothing.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 01:46 AM   #4
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,983 Times in 16,484 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NA_FRS86 View Post
Good Day

So I am returning from an overseas deployment in the next 40days. Deployed for 6months in the good ol sandbox. My car sat in storage and the only thing I had was my friend start my car and let it idle for a couple minutes at least once every other week. This is not my first time leaving a car sit while I was deployed, but my FRS is my first car that was brand new off the lot. Every other car I owned I just started her right up, changed her fluids and called it a day. Just asking for any other inputs or suggestions for our twins. Thank you in advance for any help with this matter.
Thank you, NA_FRS86 ........ for serving our country ..........

Before you leave your car in storage again, I'd suggest you read some suggestions for storing a vehicle......

You may wish to ask your friend to put your car's battery on a charger the day before you are to return ....... it most likely is weak.

Yep, when you return, just check the fluid levels, tire pressure and drive it ....

My youngest son, just returned from his 4th tour in the "sandbox".

Stay safe and welcome home!

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:18 AM   #5
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
An early welcome back!

Thanks for your service.

Check everything, and go make sure those rings are nice and seated
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:31 PM   #6
FX86
Banned

Drives: on the wrongside of the road
Thanked 2,087 Times in 1,015 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
do a celebrative burnout and donuts
FX86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:43 PM   #7
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Did you put Stabil in your tank or anything like that?

When I was deployed, I changed the oil right before I left, put the recommended amount of Stabil in my tank, put my battery on a tender, and left it in my garage for six months. No one started it while I was gone. When I got back, it started right up. I checked the tire pressure, ran that tank of gas down (ran kind of poorly due to the Stabil), and the next tank of gas I was good to go.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (08-17-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 06:41 PM   #8
NA_FRS86

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS
Garage
Thank you everyone for all the input and replies. so far it sounds like I should be fine and I cant wait to get back and drive her again. 40days left to play in the sandbox and ill be sure to share pics and vids soon.
NA_FRS86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:52 PM   #9
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
From the Scion website

https://www.scion.com/faqs#maintenan...g_term_storage

Quote:
LONG TERM STORAGE

Q
What should I do to prepare my Scion vehicle for long-term storage (1-6 months)?
A
Our vehicles are designed to be driven routinely and not be stored for a long period of time. If due to an unexpected situation and the vehicle has to be left unused for a while, our recommendations for storing the vehicle with less negative impact to the systems on board are listed below:

INSTRUCTIONS:

Before storing the vehicle:

Have the engine oil changed
Have the engine coolant changed if due during time of storage
Fill up the fuel tank with the appropriate gasoline for your vehicle
Wash the vehicle; use high-pressure water or steam to clean underneath
Check underneath the floor mats to ensure the carpet is dry
If there are any paint chips, have them repaired

When storing the vehicle:

Drive vehicle above 35-40 mph for over 20-25 minutes prior to shutting off the engine. Disconnect the black negative (-) battery cable
Leave the parking brake off
Raise the vehicle on a level surface and place on jack stands or blocks to prevent flat spots on the tires
If stored in a temperate, ventilated garage, the windows can be left slightly open
Cover the vehicle
Operate the air conditioning once a month to ensure proper lubrication

When bringing the vehicle out of storage:

Have the battery charged and reconnect the black negative (-) battery cable
Check fluid levels and add as needed
Check for any leaks underneath the vehicle
Check and inflate the tires to the correct pressure before taking the vehicle off the jack stands or blocks
After starting the engine, observe the warning lights; if any remain illuminated, have the issue addressed by your Toyota Scion dealership as appropriate
Check the brake pedal for normal feel (height and firmness) before shifting the transmission
Take the vehicle to your Toyota Scion dealership for general inspection
To determine your vehicle's normal operating temperature, please refer to the section of your Owner's Manual that describes the engine coolant temperature gauge.
Note: If you are planning to store your vehicle for more than 6 months, please consult a company that specializes in long-term vehicle storage.

*There are many variations in the step-by-step procedures used when checking fluids or charging batteries, and varying skill levels of individuals. These instructions cannot anticipate all circumstances or provide advice and caution on each. If you are in doubt concerning your ability or have any questions, consult your local Toyota Scion dealership and have the work performed by an experienced technician.

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stevesnj For This Useful Post:
humfrz (08-17-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 09:48 PM   #10
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,983 Times in 16,484 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NA_FRS86 View Post
Thank you everyone for all the input and replies. so far it sounds like I should be fine and I cant wait to get back and drive her again. 40days left to play in the sandbox and ill be sure to share pics and vids soon.
Well, like they say, in the Army at least, your first 30 days and last 30 days in a combat zone are the most dangerous ........ so, be safe......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:11 PM   #11
djwishbone
Last Starfighter

Drives: 2016 FR-S Series 2.0
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Stay safe brother, we want you back here in one piece.

A few things.

Idling for a few minutes a day isn't really helping. You'll probably use more battery than you'll actually put back into it. In addition, that's not really enough to get the oil up to temperature to make sure everything gets properly circulated. On a new car the wear is probably not even measurable, but you'd be better off not running it at all if you don't want someone driving it (I wouldn't blame you). Sitting for six months is really no big deal at all, many cars sit a the dealership for longer with no ill effects other than battery issues. Short start idle cycles are not doing anything positive for you.

Disconnect the battery when you leave per the instructions above. Optionally you can buy a trickle charger to maintain the battery while gone, which is a better option if you want someone to start the car or be able to drive it around/move it easier. Six months can definitely kill a battery depending on conditions.

Other than that, just check the fluids and do your own normal inspection before driving and enjoy being back in your vehicle. I wouldn't take my vehicle to scion for "inspection" unless there was something strangely wrong with the vehicle.

An oil change is definitely not necessary. Oil does not go bad when it's not doing anything, especially in a new vehicle. Check the level and don't worry about it. Oil has been around for millions of years without "spoiling" and it's not going to get dirty just sitting there in a new car.
djwishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:49 PM   #12
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Take it easy for the first few miles and don't freak out when it shakes and vibrates at speed. The tires will have a very slight flat spot from sitting but they will go away after you warm them up and run them a bit.

Welcome back.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:51 PM   #13
brz11b

Drives: United States
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I think you'll be alright change the fluids and just cruise for a little and burn off all the old shit. i just got back 2 months ago. my car sat for the last 5 months and it was fine. Battery as dead, replaced it and changed he fluids and it was fine.
brz11b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:26 AM   #14
vincelive123

Drives: Scion FR-S
Do an 1800 check.
vincelive123 is offline   Reply With Quote