follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 02-20-2016, 12:11 PM   #1
red05five

Drives: 2015 (Firestorm) Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
help me fix my car!

hey guys, have more than a couple scratches and dents on my fr-s and i haven't even had it for a year... just wondering what i should do with all this stuff. im not trying to spend a lot of money, although i know quality repairs/service will cost (but is worth) a pretty penny...

with that said, let's get started with this s*** show lol:

- have some scratches on the front bumper near the scion emblem, which i got when i took the car to the stealership for it's first oil change (note: im never going back) anyways, these are really noticeable and i have no choice but to have these painted to get rid of them i think:

- next up, have some scraping under the center and the passenger side of the front bumper. obviously not that noticeable unless you get on your knees and look under the car, so touch up paint maybe? although if i have the bumper painted for the scratches on top near the emblem, might as paint the entire bumper right?

- after that we have some rock chips on the hood and front drivers side quarter panel (touch up paint?):

up next we have a huge scratch on the passenger side rear quarter panel where some one keyed my car... this definitely needs to get painted i think, no other way to remove that:

then we have 2 scuffs/dents on the rear bumper. the first one on the passenger side of the rear bumper, maybe touch up paint? it's not very noticeable, looks like a speck of mud on the car lol

for the second one, touch up paint as well for the paint chip and i can simply replace the rear tow hook cover as it's where the most damage occurred. however how do i repair the scuffs/scratched gray plastic near the tow hook cover? you cant paint over this as it's the bottom unpainted dark matte grey portion of the rear bumper,

also have this wrinkle/crease (not a scratch) on the rear bumper that i have no idea how i got it. any suggestions?

thanks for the comments/suggestions in advance guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
red05five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 12:46 PM   #2
mengmoua

Drives: 2016 Raven Fr-s
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
so the dealership did this?? if they did, that's messed up. I would take the car back and ask them to fix it. If you can't feel the scratches with your fingernail, you can buff them out. Use polish and a polishing pad. For the chips, i would use touch-up paint.

This makes me worried about going to the dealership for my first service.
mengmoua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 12:49 PM   #3
red05five

Garage
help me fix my car!

the dealer only did the scratches on the front bumper by the emblem (the first three pictures), but yeah if you're gonna take your car in for service at the dealer, be a pain and try not to let them drive your car (same for any places with valet parking only) and dont let it out of your sight, otherwises things like this happen.

the rest of them were me just being a dumba*** lol

Old 02-20-2016, 12:58 PM   #4
mengmoua

Drives: 2016 Raven Fr-s
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Oh haha...any damages under the front and rear bumper isn't worth fixing, you can't even see them. I would focus on the dings and scratches here and there. Overall, seems like a easy fix.
mengmoua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 01:05 PM   #5
chamourian

Drives: White Aozora BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
here are two good videos to watch:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5QAjWbx03s"]How to Touch up your Paint - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2aC_oseMe4"]Best Paint Touch-up Tricks: Mercedes G55 - YouTube[/ame]

It looks like a good buffing will help remove parts of the scratches in different locations, but anything showing primer (and it seems like most of it) will need some touch up paint.

A good trick I learned from Larry (those videos) was to take a hole punch, cut circles of fine grit sand paper (1500 grit), and stick it to the eraser of a new pencil with some glue. Using that setup you can sand down small sections of touch up paint.

They probably won't look 100% ever but if you can get it to a point where you can't see it from 3-5 feet away, you should be happy.

Also there isn't a good way of refinishing that plastic, especially because it has the pattern in it. I scuffed a front lip and managed to minimize the damage with some 2500 grit sandpaper and wet sanding, however that was smooth. The lip when I was done was still a different finish than the original however.
chamourian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 01:12 PM   #6
red05five

Garage
thanks man, i appreciate it. larry from ammo is a boss. ill check out those videos. i was actually checking his "preparing for a track day video" the other day lol

Old 02-20-2016, 02:00 PM   #7
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,935 Times in 16,471 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mengmoua View Post
.......................... If you can't feel the scratches with your fingernail, you can buff them out. Use polish and a polishing pad. For the chips, i would use touch-up paint...........
Yep.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 05:08 PM   #8
RichardsFRS

Drives: 2013 Pearl White 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Damn thats all ragged out; less than a year!
Most of that can be buffed out
RichardsFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:29 PM   #9
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,589 Times in 18,966 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
OP, you're just making it your own. I'd be bummed about the keying but fuck it.

I have a couple marks in the back where a semi gave me a love tap. Meh.