|
||||||
| DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs. |
![]() |
|
|
Thread Tools | Search this Thread |
|
|
#1 |
|
Member
Join Date: Jan 2016
Drives: 2013 BRZ
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
|
🤖
Just thought I would share:: So just because I have a CWest front bumper is no reason to not have a front tow hook. And paying 30$ plus something like 16$ shipping is ludicrous!!! Now CWest bumper or not I know that some of you may also need these specs for licens plate or other applications and seeing that the specks are out there, they are or at least somewhat seemed hard to gather easily.. I hope that help I started with a GoDspeed front row hook, 40$ on EBay. Did some measurements and found the hardest part was finding the right thread pitch for a coupling but.. Non existent as far as I'm concerned and I'm pretty savy dinging hard wear. The only option was to fabricate.. The length of the tow hook with out the "D"ring is 176.2mm and for my application I needed to add 38mm respectfully to clear the bumper. (Which would work great for adding the L plate due to clearance as well) 16mm - 1.5 pitch = The thread end to the bumper frame 22mm = built on hook/shaft nut (for tighting) 25.4mm - 12.175 thread pitch = "D" ring thread end of the tow hook Purchased hard wear; 3/8 sae coupling nut 1. 12mm grove nut ( optional to tighten "D" ring and keep from flopping) 38mm (or 2") 12mm- 175 thread pitch bolt Tools; Hack saw Tap tool. 12 - 175 thread pitch 13/27 drill bit Lock tight Hold the coupling but in a vice, drill out and retap (rethread) Cut 10mm (3/8") off of the coupling nut Cut the bolt off to 38mm (1.5 inches) And just because: I used my drimel and rounded off half of the nut for apprentice. It all when on nice and tight, as strong as intended and stuck out as so it cleared the bumper. The over all length when finished was 8" And it was enough to make her happy😘 |
|
|
|
|
|
#2 |
|
Canada Eh!
Join Date: Nov 2013
Drives: '13 FRS
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 448
Thanks: 156
Thanked 231 Times in 120 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#3 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Location: Southern NJ
Posts: 2,958
Thanks: 2,158
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
|
I just got a 16x1.5 bolt, cut the end and welded a nut on and made a bracket with an aluminum attachment plate. Still a work in progress but it's not sticking out like most relocation kits.
__________________
My 2016 Build thread TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Similar Threads
|
||||
| Thread | Thread Starter | Forum | Replies | Last Post |
| PTUNING License plate relocation kit w/ Tow Hook Adapter and GoPro Mount kit! | ptuning | Exterior Parts - The Rest | 11 | 11-22-2016 11:36 AM |
| Tow Hook/Front Plate Combo? | Toyarzee | Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) | 18 | 11-07-2015 01:01 AM |
| Front plate holder for tow hook | ndsleep612 | Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum | 17 | 10-07-2013 10:52 PM |
| [For Sale] Rho-plate Tow Hook Mounted License Plate rack | pizzahead20 | Canada Classifieds | 0 | 08-23-2012 12:06 AM |
| Tow-hook license-plate template? | TuxedoCartman | Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) | 5 | 06-24-2012 12:51 PM |