follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-12-2015, 01:08 PM   #1
Mishimoto

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Mishimoto’s BRZ/FR-S Plug-N-Play Fan Shroud R&D!

Hey guys,

We have re-released this product in black! Check out our commercial ft86 Club thread for more info.

Keeping the twins cool! Mishimoto’s BRZ/FR-S Plug-N-Play Fan Shroud R&D, Part 1: Stock System and Initial Fabrication

Taking a look at our lineup of products for the BRZ/FR-S reveals a solid offering in both cooling performance and power-adding products. Our engineering team has evaluated numerous vehicle systems and provided upgrade components where solutions were needed. Our intake components provide improved induction noise and nice increases in power. Our oil cooler system provides a solution for high oil temperatures on the track. And, our aluminum performance radiator is ideal for track vehicle owners looking for some additional peace of mind during long-duration lapping. These are just a few of the components we currently offer, and we’ve managed to find yet another opportunity to provide an awesome component that will enhance your BRZ/FR-S: a direct-fit fan shroud kit.

Our shroud kits have become more complex over the years for two reasons. First, our engineering team has identified methods for improving performance, aesthetics, and ease of install. We’ve performed extensive testing to ensure that our fan location and shroud thickness are optimal in direct-fit kits. Our team has explored a few uniquely styled shrouds (see BMW E36/E46 shrouds) for improved airflow on the track. And, we’ve started to include stock-like fan plugs, so install is simple and no wiring is required.

Stock shroud design is the second reason our shroud kits have evolved. Many modern fan shrouds double or triple their functions to hold hoses in place, mount expansion tanks, or even function as coolant pathways for transmission coolers. These factors create some additional challenges for our team of engineers. But, would designing automotive components be interesting if they were all simple?

Stock Fan Setup

The stock fan system utilizes dual electric fans mounted to a plastic shroud. This shroud also provides a mounting position for the coolant overflow tank. The stock fans are set to activate at 212°F (100°C), although they will also activate when the AC system is being used. Additionally, the stock fans run on a multispeed system that will need to be incorporated into our design. Below is a look at what you will see once the hood is open on your BRZ or FR-S.

Stock fan shroud

Stock fan shroud

Mishimoto Shroud Plans

We have a few basic goals for this particular product design. First, we want to ensure that this product is easy to install. To achieve this we will be using stock plugs to create an easy, wiring-free installation. We will also be incorporating the stock overflow tank mount into our shroud. This kit will be a full bolt-on replacement unit.

Second, we are looking to achieve optimal airflow and cooling while providing a slim profile. Our electric fans produce a substantial amount of CFM and will be quite suitable for this kit and vehicle.

Shroud Fabrication

After establishing our plans and guidelines, we set out to begin fabrication of our aluminum shroud. We have a talented fabrication staff that pays attention to every detail.

This shroud started life as a flat sheet of aluminum, and our aluminum radiator was used to identify critical shroud mounting points.

Shroud fabrication

Measurements were made and we started mapping out our cuts.

Shroud fabrication

We made a few cuts, bent the edges, and welded our basic shroud shape. The goal was to fit fully with the footprint of the radiator core, which would allow the fans to pull air through the entire surface.

Shroud fabrication

Shroud fabrication

Next we needed to construct mounting tabs that would attach the shroud to the radiator itself. These were crafted from aluminum and tacked into place.

Shroud mounting tab fabrication

We fired up the welder and got to work attaching these mounting points.

Shroud mounting tab welding

The end result is quite nice!

Next we needed to cut holes for the fans and drill holes for the fan mounting hardware. The surface area of the shroud allowed us to use two of our 12” fans, which produce 1,150 CFM each. These fans will have no issues keeping the FA20 cool under any environment or driving situation.

Mounting fans to shroud

Once the locations were selected, we cut the fan holes and drilled our mounting location points.

Fan shroud fabrication

Coming Up!

This shroud prototype is not done yet! We still need to construct mounts for the coolant overflow tank. Check back next time for a look at what we did!

Thanks for reading!
-John

Last edited by Mishimoto; 06-30-2016 at 03:12 PM.
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Mishimoto For This Useful Post:
BatStig (06-13-2015), cameronjones239 (06-12-2015), chaoskaze (06-12-2015), DAEMANO (06-12-2015), F1fletch (06-12-2015), FyeaFRS (10-15-2015), Lonewolf (06-12-2015), pcuerpo (06-18-2015), quicksilver30 (06-13-2015), Rybot (07-08-2015), Teclis (06-19-2015)
Old 06-12-2015, 02:37 PM   #2
Takumi788
JHerbert Racing

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,187 Times in 594 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Sub'd. I loved my mishimoto radiator and fan shroud for my S13.
- #813 2013 Scion FRS Build Thread
- JHerbert Racing Website
Takumi788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:00 PM   #3
wootwoot

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sweet.
wootwoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:22 PM   #4
celek
Resident Gear Head

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Glad to see this product come to this platform
I am wondering if like your other available shrouds does it fit Factory rad as well as Mishi rads.

Also with the slim fan are you expecting to see space savings over stock
Old 06-12-2015, 03:24 PM   #5
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
ha! Love it! Look forward to seeing this in the shop
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 05:15 PM   #6
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,086 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Just a thought. Maybe it's better to make shroud not flat but gradually rising from sides & corners till fan? Will make it more difficult and expensive to make though.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:25 PM   #7
Streetthrowback

Drives: 2015 brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Subscribed
Streetthrowback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:14 PM   #8
celek
Resident Gear Head

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Just a thought. Maybe it's better to make shroud not flat but gradually rising from sides & corners till fan? Will make it more difficult and expensive to make though.
This is the way all the shrouds they make are designed. The trick to a shroud is to seal against the radiator and pull every bit of hot air from every nook and cranny in the corners.

And you are correct angles increases cost and probably not what we want to pay since this piece will be $250 price range.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:55 AM   #9
quicksilver30

Drives: '13 LR BRZ Limited| '07 Jeep GC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I am totally down for this...
Old 06-15-2015, 05:04 PM   #10
Mishimoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi788 View Post
Sub'd. I loved my mishimoto radiator and fan shroud for my S13.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootwoot View Post
Sweet.
Thanks for taking a look!

Quote:
Originally Posted by celek View Post
Glad to see this product come to this platform
I am wondering if like your other available shrouds does it fit Factory rad as well as Mishi rads.

Also with the slim fan are you expecting to see space savings over stock
Great! Correct, this shroud is being designed to function with both stock radiators as well as our aluminum radiator for the BRZ/FR-S!

Yes, we are hoping to save some space on this design. More on this later in the development process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutter View Post
ha! Love it! Look forward to seeing this in the shop
Thanks Shutter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by celek View Post
This is the way all the shrouds they make are designed. The trick to a shroud is to seal against the radiator and pull every bit of hot air from every nook and cranny in the corners.

And you are correct angles increases cost and probably not what we want to pay since this piece will be $250 price range.
Interesting point here! Passing this idea on to our engineering team to see what they think. Based on our previous tests and products, I would have to assume our flat shroud is fairly optimal. Always nice to have new ideas to research and explore. Thanks for the comment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetthrowback View Post
Subscribed
Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver30 View Post
I am totally down for this...
Thanks for the interest guys!

-John
Old 06-16-2015, 06:48 AM   #11
Max FRS

Drives: 2015 Halo FRS Automatic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Any estimate on when this will be ready for sale? I have the Mishimoto radiator to install but now want to add your fan shroud. It will be worth the wait, looking forward to updates and the final product. Any chance for a pre-sale group buy?

Max
Max FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:47 AM   #12
Mishimoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max FRS View Post
Any estimate on when this will be ready for sale? I have the Mishimoto radiator to install but now want to add your fan shroud. It will be worth the wait, looking forward to updates and the final product. Any chance for a pre-sale group buy?

Max
Thanks for the interest! We are still a bit early on in the process to provide a concrete release date. That being said, we do expect these to hit shelves towards the end of August assuming we do not have any major setbacks. We will be running a discounted pre-sale for forum members, so keep an eye out for that once the product is complete.

Thanks for picking up our radiator! Let me know what you think once it is installed!

-John
Old 06-19-2015, 02:09 PM   #13
calmtigers

Drives: 2014 Whiteout TRD FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Hey guys what benefits would this product have for the stock rad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I love dinosaurs so much that I’ve based my life on burning as much black melted dinosaur flesh as I can on a daily basis...even the screaming sound of prehistoric reptilians being burnt through any of the classic Japanese four cylinders gives me great joy."
calmtigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 03:06 PM   #14
Max FRS

Drives: 2015 Halo FRS Automatic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
August, faster that I thought. Whenever the pre-sale starts, sign me up! I also realize August is an estimate. I am going to wait to install my radiator until I get the new shroud.
Max FRS is offline   Reply With Quote