follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 03-14-2015, 04:58 AM   #309
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanGuy View Post
I just bought your stage 2 tune! Plugged into the car, downloaded everything, and now I'm at an impasse. Um... Where is it?

I can't find my calibration ID, my Dongle ID, or my tune (is that what a ROM is?). Can't seem to find any guides that tell you where to find this stuff. There's like eight indistinguishible ROMs to choose from, and you may gather I'm not the sort of person that knows how to choose.

I just want my cruise control to start working again. How do I do this?
The file should be given to you by your Master Tuner. Your cruise control shouldn't have changed.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 06:57 PM   #310
NissanGuy

Drives: Strangely.
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
The file should be given to you by your Master Tuner. Your cruise control shouldn't have changed.
So I don't have the tune until I contact the guy? I also now seem to have 46 random tunes haha. I found my dongle ID, but not the Calibration ID.

My cruise stopped working when the check engine light came on. Does that happen to everyone, or is my fault code (420) special? It's a pretty savvy bit of programming on the OEM's behalf, makes sure people get their cars fixed. Or tuned, anyways.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:03 AM   #311
Kodename47

Quote:
So I don't have the tune until I contact the guy? I also now seem to have 46 random tunes haha. I found my dongle ID, but not the Calibration ID.

My cruise stopped working when the check engine light came on. Does that happen to everyone, or is my fault code (420) special? It's a pretty savvy bit of programming on the OEM's behalf, makes sure people get their cars fixed. Or tuned, anyways.
Correct, the tune isn't done by ECUtek but by the tuner so its his file you need. The software downloads the stock ROMs which is what you have.

Your calibration ID can be found by connecting to the ECU and it will tell you which ROMs are compatible.

That's normal for a CEL to disable cruise control, what is 420? You could use one of the stock files to disable it and flash that until you're proper tune arrives.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Old 03-15-2015, 01:25 PM   #312
NissanGuy

Quote:
Correct, the tune isn't done by ECUtek but by the tuner so its his file you need. The software downloads the stock ROMs which is what you have.

Your calibration ID can be found by connecting to the ECU and it will tell you which ROMs are compatible.

That's normal for a CEL to disable cruise control, what is 420? You could use one of the stock files to disable it and flash that until you're proper tune arrives.
Ohhhhh. I was under the impression it was an off the shelf tune. Wonder why they bother, then, to make the distinction between stages 1 and 2.

Where is the Calibration ID, though? I had it connected to the car for 2 hours, I was looking through and couldn't find it. For such an expensive piece of software, the UI and the instructions sure are awful.
Old 03-15-2015, 06:54 PM   #313
Kodename47

Quote:
Ohhhhh. I was under the impression it was an off the shelf tune. Wonder why they bother, then, to make the distinction between stages 1 and 2.

Where is the Calibration ID, though? I had it connected to the car for 2 hours, I was looking through and couldn't find it. For such an expensive piece of software, the UI and the instructions sure are awful.

http://blog.perrinperformance.com/ho...-your-brzfr-s/

Kodename 47 DJ:
Old 03-16-2015, 01:52 AM   #314
NissanGuy

Quote:
Like every guide I've found thus far, the answer to my question does not lie within that guide.

Is there another word for Calibration ID? Cause it's nowhere in any of the guides, but it is in the requirements for the email I send to the tuner.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:24 AM   #315
Kodename47

Quote:
Like every guide I've found thus far, the answer to my question does not lie within that guide.

Is there another word for Calibration ID? Cause it's nowhere in any of the guides, but it is in the requirements for the email I send to the tuner.

Based on the fact you're in the States, you'll either be ZA1JB01C (pre-MY2015) or JA1JD00C (MY2015) if you're manual, change the C to a D if you're auto.

Kodename 47 DJ:
The Following User Says Thank You to Kodename47 For This Useful Post:
NissanGuy (03-16-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 05:16 PM   #316
NissanGuy

Quote:

Based on the fact you're in the States, you'll either be ZA1JB01C (pre-MY2015) or JA1JD00C (MY2015) if you're manual, change the C to a D if you're auto.
Calibration ID = ECU Version. sweet, thanks!
Old 04-13-2015, 05:10 PM   #317
Kodename47

I have been trying out a ZA1JA02G ROM with the retail RR7 Patch on my UK GT86. I have noticed that the ECU now starts up on whichever map switch mode was last used. This doesn't normally happen on any other G series ROM I've tried.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Sportsguy83 (04-14-2015)
Old 04-14-2015, 09:40 AM   #318
Kodename47

I emailed ECUtek and one of their senior engineers replied:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul @ ECUtek
What you're experiencing is the normal intended behaviour. If you haven't had this before it's more likely down to a bug in previous RR patches.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Sportsguy83 (05-15-2015)
Old 05-15-2015, 10:34 PM   #319
MFB
Avo Turboworld Phil Rep

Drives: Forester 2009 XT on e85
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetbill View Post
Those looking for an easy , convenient solution to view, log and make changes quickly...windows tablet from HP Stream ($99) works well. Only thing you need is a USB on the go cable and a USB hub.

Increase text size in EcuTek and view critical parameters real time..oil and coolant temp, PI duty, ethanol percentages, AM, ign correction.. Etc

(Oil pressure is Hardwired so that's a separate gauge me)

Make quick changes at the track without that bulky laptop!

Attachment 104017 Attachment 104018
@Jetbill how did you mount the tablet?
MFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 05:59 AM   #320
Jetbill

Drives: 2013 FRS, 2014 BMW 335 M-Sport
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFB View Post
@Jetbill how did you mount the tablet?
Just bent a piece of steel strapping used for lumbar I found in home depot.

It looks like a "U" and added strong 3M double stick to the back. The flat part of the U sticks to the tablet. The edges slide under and over the radio between the external part of the radio casing and the dash bezel. It's temporary of course.
Jetbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:57 AM   #321
Hector

Drives: Toyota GT86 Satin-White-Pearl
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just following this discussion, i really ask myself what tuning software would be best to choose next.
On my old car i got EcuTek and hated to switch between RomRaider and EcuTek, just to see the custom maps my tuner added.
Now i'm thinking about ordering a Taktrix Open Port Cable instead of getting another EcuTek-license with all its limitations and Master Tuner exclusive features. On OFT there are only 12 possible Parameters to log at a time.
I hope that isn't a general limit in open source tuning. I really like to have access to all maps and be able to view parameters live in car on a tablet or similar device.
Most tuners say that advanced tuning is only possible with EcuTek, but i suspect they just try to protect their work or want to avoid any control by the end user.
Hector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 09:26 AM   #322
nelsmar

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 345 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector View Post
Just following this discussion, i really ask myself what tuning software would be best to choose next.
On my old car i got EcuTek and hated to switch between RomRaider and EcuTek, just to see the custom maps my tuner added.
Now i'm thinking about ordering a Taktrix Open Port Cable instead of getting another EcuTek-license with all its limitations and Master Tuner exclusive features. On OFT there are only 12 possible Parameters to log at a time.
I hope that isn't a general limit in open source tuning. I really like to have access to all maps and be able to view parameters live in car on a tablet or similar device.
Most tuners say that advanced tuning is only possible with EcuTek, but i suspect they just try to protect their work or want to avoid any control by the end user.
This opens a whole big can of worms but yes advanced tuning is better on ecutek. I cannot make a custom map to over-ride something like the fact the stock VVT is controlled by engine load and not manifold pressure, or use speed density to overcome issues with the MAF sensor. Or make a manifold pressure enrichment map to overcome issues with blow off valves interfering with the MAF sensor which is super common on forced induction kits on this platform. That and flex fuel is not even an option on open source tuning at this time.

And the time it takes me to edit in rom raider with its lack of 2d graphing and lack of hotkeys, not to mention the way the app scrolls in side of its own window really kills my time. For it barely costing any more for ecutek its by far worth it. Although to get speed density and custom maps you have to pay even more but it was wroth it to me vs buying an actual stand alone (which i would prefer but the custom maps in ecutek are quiet nice and most stand alones dont have this).
Old Setup: Vortech Supercharged 360WHP/262WTQ @ 11.5psi
My build thread - WTF happened to nelsmar's car thread
nelsmar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ecutek, edit, proecu, racerom, tuning