follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 10-03-2016, 06:08 PM   #1
VeganGirl

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Driver side valenti tail light hyper flashing on turn signal only

Hi i have a question.
My driver side valenti is hyper flashing with turn signal. The other one is perfectly fine. When hazards are on it goes normal speed.
This valenti tail light was installed for about 3 months about 6 months ago, it was then taken off and stored until a few days ago I put it back on. It was working for about 10 minutes and then started hyper flashing on turn signal.

Any help?
Video of problem:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbrD8PcJg3o"]valenti tail light hyper flash - YouTube[/ame]
VeganGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:34 PM   #2
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Drives: 2014 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Check your front turn signal, make sure it's not burned out. If not, you probably need to add a resistor kit or an LED flasher relay.
BirdTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:59 PM   #3
VeganGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdTRD View Post
Check your front turn signal, make sure it's not burned out. If not, you probably need to add a resistor kit or an LED flasher relay.
The front turn signal is also flashing very quickly.
It was working fine before I thought that it was supose to use the stock relay.. And its only the driver turn signal, everything else functions correctly.
I guess i can try taking the light bulb out of the front turn signal and see if anything changes. thanks ill see if that helps!
Old 10-03-2016, 10:21 PM   #4
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
if you install any LED bulbs (which I assume the Valenti's probably are) you will get hyper flashing unless you install a resistor or use an LED specific flasher relay. the reason being is that the LEDs draw less power than the normal bulbs so the car thinks your bulb is dying and does the hyper flash

as for why only one side is doing it... I am not sure about that. I would say to double check your connections to the tail lights and front bulbs to make sure everything is fully connected
Old 10-03-2016, 10:25 PM   #5
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,086 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Wierd. It's usually when bulb is burnt out, then rest of signals flash at twice the speed. But you say front works but still flashes at double rate? :/
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:25 PM   #6
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Garage
Do you have LED's in the front turns?

The Valenti's have a built in circuit that's supposed to duplicate the power draw of the stock incandescent bulbs so the car doesn't think you have a bulb burned out, i.e. hyper flashing, which is how it lets you know you have a bulb out. If there is a problem with the Valenti built in circuit, an add on resistor should solve the problem.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:41 AM   #7
VeganGirl

Quote:

The Valenti's have a built in circuit that's supposed to duplicate the power draw of the stock incandescent bulbs so the car doesn't think you have a bulb burned out, i.e. hyper flashing, which is how it lets you know you have a bulb out. If there is a problem with the Valenti built in circuit, an add on resistor should solve the problem.
Nope nothing was changed on the car from the point that it was working to when it wasn't. They were previously on my car for 3 months with no issues and only after reinstalling them the other day after having them off the car for a few months did I have this issue. I've read that the Valenti uses completely stock relay flasher thing and that you didn't have to change it like you do with the buddy club and toms tail lights and that worked for me before. I tried searching to see if anyone else had this issue but I haven't really found anything about it
Old 10-04-2016, 08:43 AM   #8
VeganGirl

Quote:

No leds everything is stock lighting except for after market fog lights and hids. I also have interior leds but all of that was installed on the car previously when the Valenti was working for a period of 3 months then I took them off and put in storage for a few months. Nothing changed on the car within that time period except changing passenger side hid but I don't think that is related
Old 10-04-2016, 09:27 AM   #9
Silver Cervy
*Some really cool title*

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Well, obviously the uninstall and then reinstall was where the problem arose. I think something was short-circuited when you reinstalled them or maybe a wire degraded/frayed while they were sitting in storage. Best thing to do would be to uninstall it again and check all the wires and all the connections to the circuit board.

I've had my Valenti's on for almost 5 months now and they still work perfectly, never had to install a resistor or anything.
Silver Cervy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:44 AM   #10
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Garage
Can you temporarily move the right tail to the left side and vice versa to see if the problem follows the light assembly or stays on that side?
Old 10-04-2016, 10:28 AM   #11
VeganGirl

Quote:
Can you temporarily move the right tail to the left side and vice versa to see if the problem follows the light assembly or stays on that side?
Are all the connections the same if you flip sides? I still have stock lights at my house so I can put those in and see if the hyper flash continues or it. That would help determine if it's the Valenti or not
Old 10-04-2016, 10:37 AM   #12
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Garage
Connections should be the same, just look at the wire colors in relation to the pin position on each connector, they should be the same regardless of which side.
As far as your stock light, I would almost bet that your problem would go away if you put the stock (incandescent) light assembly back in. If by some chance the problem still exists with the stock assembly in place, then the flasher relay is most likely the culprit. (not likely the problem though) My money is on the Drivers side Valenti tail itself having a circuit issue.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:41 AM   #13
Senoko

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I recently bought Valenti's and during my install I had that problem you are experiencing with one of the tail lights. I found out the black wire on the connector of the Valenti is the source of the problem. Wiggle it around or make sure it's not loose. Once it stops hyper flashing I used electrical tape to hold it in place/keep force on it.
Senoko is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Senoko For This Useful Post:
BirdTRD (10-04-2016)
Old 10-10-2016, 10:04 PM   #14
VeganGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senoko View Post
I recently bought Valenti's and during my install I had that problem you are experiencing with one of the tail lights. I found out the black wire on the connector of the Valenti is the source of the problem. Wiggle it around or make sure it's not loose. Once it stops hyper flashing I used electrical tape to hold it in place/keep force on it.
Hi I just wanted to report back.

So the little box that is screwed into the back of the valenti tail light has a black and yellow wire that goes to the inside of the light. For some reason it was unplugged. I plugged it in and the hyper flash is gone! everything is working perfect now