follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 11-10-2022, 10:48 AM   #127
Lincoln Logs

Drives: #337 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
That noise is from the parts that don't even improve power output. The torque curve with the header looks pretty nice imo.
Midrange is nice, but not nice enough to bother with the noise/money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
My car with the CSG exhaust is not "stock" but is plenty quiet enough to not be obnoxious, especially inside the cabin. Leaving the stock catback you barely notice the header at all.
I'd run a nice cutback on these like CSG, Thermal or other too. Stock exhaust can't be heard in the new gen and the artificial sound is meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoontwo View Post
Do you think the ACE header will be on par with the JDL as they were on the last gen?
If ACE brings one to market, who is really going to buy it at the astronomical price they'll sell it for. JDL is at the top end of what people will actually pay. ACE also started having cracking issues on their last gen header if I remember correctly too.
Lincoln Logs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lincoln Logs For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (11-10-2022)
Old 11-10-2022, 11:32 AM   #128
MacSpeed

Drives: 2022 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Logs View Post

I'd run a nice cutback on these like CSG, Thermal or other too. Stock exhaust can't be heard in the new gen and the artificial sound is meh.

If ACE brings one to market, who is really going to buy it at the astronomical price they'll sell it for. JDL is at the top end of what people will actually pay. ACE also started having cracking issues on their last gen header if I remember correctly too.
I asked ACE last week if they plan to update the header at all for the FA24 and they said not through 2023 at least. I tried buying a used ACE last week too but dude ghosted me when asking for pics of the welds. Haven't seen someone try that header on a FA24 yet.
MacSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MacSpeed For This Useful Post:
Lantanafrs2 (11-10-2022)
Old 11-10-2022, 01:07 PM   #129
dragoontwo

Drives: 22 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
I wasn't asking about a revised version. I have one left over from my first gen with no cracks.
dragoontwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 01:15 PM   #130
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,472 Times in 767 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoontwo View Post
Do you think the ACE header will be on par with the JDL as they were on the last gen?

I'm sure. They had adequate runner diameters and a good design.

Quote:

I cannot recommend the JDL header enough, seriously. I got mine used for quite a discount from a racing buddy but even new I'd do a header before a catback all day long for similar pricing. It amps up the noise "enough" and the extra mid range power is awesome.

That said, the CSG catback has also been great. I hate the tips so I've been messing with other tips and my first one had quality issues but they replaced it hassle free. I had the Perrin catback and the drone with the UEL header was unbearable around town after a while, IMO.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DocWalt For This Useful Post:
dragoontwo (11-10-2022), DylanJZA (11-28-2022), RToyo86 (11-10-2022)
Old 11-10-2022, 01:17 PM   #131
DocWalt

Back to the tuning topic... I've got ~100 miles of all sorts of driving on the tune from Xero-Limit now, did some data logging and all is going well. Car feels awesome, powerband is smoother and it feels more responsive/sharper as well as being clearly quicker. Sounds a little more aggressive too which is cool, but none of that weird intake rasp that you'd get on some of the first gen tunes without a header.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to DocWalt For This Useful Post:
Ash_89 (11-15-2022), DriveDriftDogfight86 (11-14-2022), DylanJZA (11-10-2022), jonboy99 (11-14-2022), Lantanafrs2 (11-10-2022), Midnightsky (11-11-2022), NoHaveMSG (11-10-2022), PulsarBeeerz (11-10-2022), Rustyoid (11-10-2022)
Old 11-13-2022, 01:22 PM   #132
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
This is where I'm at as well.

I think if there was a way to separate the noise, and you could do back-to-back tests, most people wouldn't actually notice 10/lb-ft in the midrange if they didn't know it from looking at a dyno.

The old placebo effect.
Old 11-13-2022, 01:45 PM   #133
PulsarBeeerz

Drives: JRSC BRZ SOLD
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
This is where I'm at as well.

I think if there was a way to separate the noise, and you could do back-to-back tests, most people wouldn't actually notice 10/lb-ft in the midrange if they didn't know it from looking at a dyno.

The old placebo effect.
I don’t think the placebo effect is applicable to verified dyno results.lol Also it seems both you fellas missed the dyno clip posted on page 8. 232whp on 93oct. Hardly louder than stock. 😎
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 01:53 PM   #134
OkieSnuffBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by PulsarBeeerz View Post
I don’t think the placebo effect is applicable to verified dyno results.lol Also it seems both you fellas missed the dyno clip posted on page 8. 232whp on 93oct. Hardly louder than stock. ��
Youse dun't reed reeel guud does ya feller?

I said if you didn't know the car made 10ft-lb more midrange, I don't think you'd notice. You know, actually driving the car.

But I realize many people care more about bench racing and thinking they have the feel of an F1 driver.
Old 11-13-2022, 03:28 PM   #135
PulsarBeeerz

Drives: JRSC BRZ SOLD
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Youse dun't reed reeel guud does ya feller?

I said if you didn't know the car made 10ft-lb more midrange, I don't think you'd notice. You know, actually driving the car.

But I realize many people care more about bench racing and thinking they have the feel of an F1 driver.
I read well enough to understand you are full of shit. Lol

A 10ftlb avg increase is what an E85 tune typically adds over 91/93 on the Gen1. According to you no one would notice the difference which we know is a lie. Adding an UEL header and tune clearly documented to fill in the torque dip on the previous gen ~10ftlbs right where one daily drives. Again it would be and is incredibly obvious in comparison to the OEM tune. You evidently wouldn’t notice your car making an extra 20whp but most would. Obviously some fellas going to be more hamfisted than others.

Still not the placebo effect.
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 06:03 PM   #136
OkieSnuffBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by PulsarBeeerz View Post
I read well enough to understand you are full of shit. Lol

A 10ftlb avg increase is what an E85 tune typically adds over 91/93 on the Gen1. According to you no one would notice the difference which we know is a lie. Adding an UEL header and tune clearly documented to fill in the torque dip on the previous gen ~10ftlbs right where one daily drives. Again it would be and is incredibly obvious in comparison to the OEM tune. You evidently wouldn’t notice your car making an extra 20whp but most would. Obviously some fellas going to be more hamfisted than others.

Still not the placebo effect.
Ok bro. I'm completely wrong, you're completely right.
Old 11-13-2022, 07:45 PM   #137
DocWalt

I drove my car with & without the header and now with the tune. The header was pretty huge even stock tune, it filled in the torque "dip" that's present stock. The tune smoothed things out even more and added some aggression and it noticeably makes more power.

I don't think it's like a first gen where a header was more important than a tune, it seems like tune only gets you a lot of smoothness and fills in the torque dip well. A header doesn't really add anything up top on this gen.
Old 11-13-2022, 08:05 PM   #138
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
I drove my car with & without the header and now with the tune. The header was pretty huge even stock tune, it filled in the torque "dip" that's present stock. The tune smoothed things out even more and added some aggression and it noticeably makes more power.

I don't think it's like a first gen where a header was more important than a tune, it seems like tune only gets you a lot of smoothness and fills in the torque dip well. A header doesn't really add anything up top on this gen.
Those are healthy numbers though. At least 40 more horse at peak than a 93 tune on a first gen. The torque difference over first gen follows suit. I wonder what the power blocks would do if tuned in properly?
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 12:18 AM   #139
eyeballs

Quote:

Yup. When I added JDL EL + OP the low-midrange bump was quite noticeable, though top end felt no different. Funny thing is, I still run with the fake sound because even with a JDL catted/resonated front pipe and CSG catback the car is ridiculously quiet. This is on the stock tune. Hopefully soon I can get a tune on it.

By the way, if you're still looking for less obnoxious tips, check out the black chrome mxp tips. They're pricy but look very nice in the stock cutouts, especially if you trim the muffler exit pipes a bit to keep the tips flush with the bumper.
eyeballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 12:50 AM   #140
OkieSnuffBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
Those are healthy numbers though. At least 40 more horse at peak than a 93 tune on a first gen. The torque difference over first gen follows suit. I wonder what the power blocks would do if tuned in properly?
For a second I misunderstood the first part of your post. As for a proper tune, it seems the 2nd gen just have a small amount to gain with a header and a tune. But not much peak.
DocWalt (11-14-2022)