follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 05-09-2014, 01:02 PM   #15
robot
There are now 2 carseats!

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The library I'm considering has these PID's written into it: https://github.com/stanleyhuangyc/Ar...es/OBD/OBD.cpp

I'm sure others could be added.
robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:39 PM   #16
tedo

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hi robot,

i'm currently doing a similar project. But I use the mbed.org platform (NXP lpc1768 ) and an adafruit oled display (currently a 0.9inch 128x32). Maybe we can share some common code. I will post my code in the next days. My prototype works fine. But I am not sure where to place the display and a display casing is missing, too.
tedo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tedo For This Useful Post:
xjohnx (05-10-2014)
Old 05-14-2014, 12:37 AM   #17
robot

I forked this: https://github.com/stirobot/ArduinoOBD but I'm a little unsure of how to proceed in adding nonstandard PIDs to his code. The torque app thread is sort of helpful, but lacking full info. 2101 as a code doesn't mean that much to me (although I'm guess it means OBD II mode 2 with a 0x65) and the AC-40 formula tells me it returns at least three bytes (A through C), but does it return more that I need to account for when I expand on this code I've forked?

As far as other progress goes:
-I have made it so a config file on an sd card can read and use settings.
-Splash image setting works.
-Color scheme settings work.
-I've imported functions to pull obd II data and sensor data.
-I've made it so that each page can have whatever sensor is wanted on that page.
-I've started the graphics programming to have these types of pages: 1) a round gauge with one sensor 2) a two sensor bar chart 3) an accelerometer sensor of some type 4) a logging page that displays 4 sensors and dumps them constantly to the sd card in a numbered file.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:05 AM   #18
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Drives: '91 MR2 Gen3 3SGTE, '13 FRS
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Subbed
Old 05-14-2014, 03:16 AM   #19
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Talk to @nelsmar, @robot on adding the nonstandard PID codes.

On phone I am. Therefore, if mistakes I make, Frank Oz blame you should.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:40 AM   #20
nelsmar

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 345 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I have some code laying around somewhere for communicating with proprietary requests such as knock, oil temp, and some other misc ones using J15765 communications using an MCP2515 & MCP2551 chipset. I never got around to finishing my setup and i was really torn between where I was going to install my display as well. I am a huge fan of having the minimal gauges in my car and figured I would just make my own setup so i could toggle things on and off for diagnostic purposes. I was looking into sticking a small 1.3" oled into the driver side vent at one point.

I never finished the code but did manage to make some progress. I also was making progress using an STN based chipset (ELM327 replacement) and was working with ST trying to resolve an issue with using raw data not coming in correctly to make a cheaper / easier solution for working with SSM like setups.
Old Setup: Vortech Supercharged 360WHP/262WTQ @ 11.5psi
My build thread - WTF happened to nelsmar's car thread
nelsmar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nelsmar For This Useful Post:
SirBrass (05-14-2014)
Old 05-14-2014, 11:51 AM   #21
robot

My issue right now is deciding between this:
device
http://freematics.com/store/index.ph...&product_id=30
api
https://github.com/stanleyhuangyc/ArduinoOBD
-better example code
-would have to write my own mode 2 code (I believe the 2101 PID for oil temps on the brz/frs is mode 2?)
-author of library is kind of "short" with people on his help forum...not so forthcoming...I did send him and email and posted my questions. I guess we'll wait and see.

OR

the sparkfun one

device
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9555
api example
https://github.com/sparkfun/OBD-II_U...Quickstart.ino
-less sample code
-fairly straightforward though
-you send obd II instructions to the uart device and is dumps the hex back that it gets from obd II
-You just have to write functions to get the stuff back and do something with it (which is fairly straightforward)

I keep asking about mode 2 OBD II because of the torque pid that was ID'd a little while ago (http://www.gps-laptimer-forum.de/vie...hp?f=20&t=1364). It is 2101. I believe that means it is mode 2 0x65 . On a harry's lap timer thread someone says it returns 31 bytes which seems excessive and incorrect. Although someone did the probing and it might be right. http://www.gps-laptimer-forum.de/vie...hp?f=20&t=1364
Old 05-14-2014, 11:53 AM   #22
robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsmar View Post
I have some code laying around somewhere for communicating with proprietary requests such as knock, oil temp, and some other misc ones using J15765 communications using an MCP2515 & MCP2551 chipset. I never got around to finishing my setup and i was really torn between where I was going to install my display as well. I am a huge fan of having the minimal gauges in my car and figured I would just make my own setup so i could toggle things on and off for diagnostic purposes. I was looking into sticking a small 1.3" oled into the driver side vent at one point.

I never finished the code but did manage to make some progress. I also was making progress using an STN based chipset (ELM327 replacement) and was working with ST trying to resolve an issue with using raw data not coming in correctly to make a cheaper / easier solution for working with SSM like setups.
Cool. I'd love to have a look at what you've written.

I also started looking at CAN stuff, but got discouraged due to its complexity, lack of documentation, and the amount of proprietary stuff involved.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:56 AM   #23
mabviper

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
If you don't want to look at CAN protocol, I suggest looking at the ELM327 chips that has CAN support.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
mabviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:01 PM   #24
robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabviper View Post
If you don't want to look at CAN protocol, I suggest looking at the ELM327 chips that has CAN support.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
From what I read you can get a handful of things from the baseline (low level?) CAN protocol. Other stuff gets complicated from there and differs widely from manufacturer to manufacturer.

I'd also love to use SSM II/III, but don't want to jump right into that right away.

For now being able to get basic OBD II stuff will be nice. Being able to get the special toyota oil temp PID working would be great. Remember that originally this family of projects and code was intended to use external sensors for things that one couldn't get off of obd II, because stuff like the torque app already exist.

I started to look into OBD II because someone suggested it, it isn't terribly expensive, and the "starter" code is already written. Also, I don't like my phone flying at my face because I did a crap job of mounting it before and autox.
Old 06-01-2014, 01:42 AM   #25
robot

[ame]http://youtu.be/vAFlXKXZ5j8[/ame]
Old 06-01-2014, 01:50 AM   #26
robot

[ame]http://youtu.be/DdV4eeMd9aE[/ame]

(Those vertical lines are gone.)
Old 06-02-2014, 04:46 PM   #27
aeon

Drives: Toyota Corolla e11 pre Facelift
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
subbed , keep it updates , really really would like a way to either put out the oiltemp right into the 7segment display (clock) or to replace it with something that shows the oiltemperature <3
aeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:19 PM   #28
robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon View Post
subbed , keep it updates , really really would like a way to either put out the oiltemp right into the 7segment display (clock) or to replace it with something that shows the oiltemperature <3
A couple of thoughts here:

-OBD II oil temp to a seven segment display is trivially easy. From a sender is also easy.
-The clock location is a terrible location for a gauge. There is no way to easily glance at it while driving.
-If I could get a hold of a clock/airbag lcd area part from a wreck I could tell you how hard this might be. It could be as simple as sticking a 7 segment module back there of ones choosing (a serially controlled one would be easier to program to). Or you could just wire direct to each segment and write your own controller software (harder/more time consuming).