follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 03-11-2023, 01:26 PM   #1
DSW

Drives: 2016 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ABS and Traction control light

Seen hella threads on here about similar issues but most lead to battery, grounds, or speed sensors and fuses. I'm new to the BRZ platform. I have a 16 brz, which now has an engine swap from a 17 86. Since I bought it from a used car lot I've had the TPMS light on, the traction control light, and the ABS light on. The vehicle has been in three accidents all three where the airbags were deployed. With the last airbag deployment in December 2018. Its been to shops and dealers regularly based on Carfax. It was sitting for 6 months after the engine blew, I replaced the engine obviously, Bought an OFT scanner, I've checked fuses, New battery, and Tried the ECU of the 2017 engine before swapping it back to the 2016 ECU for ease of swap, I've made sure the speed sensors don't look damaged although I have not replaced them, Speedometer works fine & I've verified it by radar detector and GPS it reads as it should. OFT is getting no codes for anything and I've double-checked with RomRaider to make sure no CELs were disabled on the tune itself. The tires all have 32 PSI of air. the wheel is aligned and drives "generally" straight it pulls a tiny bit in either direction but not hard. The VCS and Traction control button themselves do not work & they are plugged in. I can turn on the traction control and the TRC light both on. Prior to me buying it, the tires are stretched, & The struts are going out & it's wide-bodied if that has anything to do with it. Anyways I don't really know where to go from here. Should I worry about the things that are broken would Ie, Struts & TPMS light or could there be something that I'm completely overlooking?

Thank you for your time in advance!
DSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 07:21 PM   #2
pope
has a funny hat

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
The ABS and TC light could be caused by needing a neutral point calibration if the clockspring was replaced after an airbag detonation. A change in steering alignment that altered where straight ahead is in the rotation of the wheel would do it too. Dealership software is required for the calibration.
pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 03:31 AM   #3
DSW

Drives: 2016 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pope View Post
The ABS and TC light could be caused by needing a neutral point calibration if the clockspring was replaced after an airbag detonation. A change in steering alignment that altered where straight ahead is in the rotation of the wheel would do it too. Dealership software is required for the calibration.
That helps i appreciate it alot!
DSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 10:38 AM   #4
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Try as I might, I cannot find information that confirms if an OFT can read ABS codes, so to me that seems like a really complicated way of saying you didn't read the fault codes in the ABS control module. I think that's the thing you are overlooking.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote