follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southern California

Southern California SoCal

User Tag List

Old 10-11-2013, 09:49 PM   #1
mad_sb

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Relocating to Irvine from Atlanta 10/25

Whats up SoCal folks,

After a couple years of deliberation and a couple months of job searching I finally decided to take the plunge and move to Southern California.

I'm going to be living in the irvine / tustin area within 10 miles of SNA airport (john wayne). Out here right now looking for a place to rent. Will be driving the 86 out the week of the 20th, starting work on the 28th.

I could use lots of general car knowledge like:
  • Local 86 meetups
  • road courses in the area for track days
  • local clubs that host track days
  • E85 / race gas stations (found an E85 station in huntington)
  • good alignment / suspension setup shop (a shop that knows what the various numbers are and what they mean, not just how to make the computer show green)
  • emissions hookup (already have long tube header, front / over pipe, catback etc)
  • emissions knowledge, what do they test / inspect, how often, registering a car from out of state etc etc
Old 10-11-2013, 09:59 PM   #2
ImperiousRex
Track Junkie

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 S2000
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_sb View Post
Whats up SoCal folks,

After a couple years of deliberation and a couple months of job searching I finally decided to take the plunge and move to Southern California.

I'm going to be living in the irvine / tustin area within 10 miles of SNA airport (john wayne). Out here right now looking for a place to rent. Will be driving the 86 out the week of the 20th, starting work on the 28th.

I could use lots of general car knowledge like:
  • Local 86 meetups
  • road courses in the area for track days
  • local clubs that host track days
  • E85 / race gas stations (found an E85 station in huntington)
  • good alignment / suspension setup shop (a shop that knows what the various numbers are and what they mean, not just how to make the computer show green)
  • emissions hookup (already have long tube header, front / over pipe, catback etc)
  • emissions knowledge, what do they test / inspect, how often, registering a car from out of state etc etc
86 Meetups:
Irvine FRS/BRZ Meet at Diamond Jamboree (Tues), Long Beach Meetups(Mon), Socal Valley Meetups (Wed), IE Meetups (Sat)

Road Courses (in order of distance from Irvine):
Auto Club Speedway, Willow Springs (Streets of Willow and WSIR), Chuckwalla Valley Raceway, Buttonwillow

Track Day Clubs:
Speedventures, ExtremeSpeed, Speed District, SpeedTrialUSA(?), etc.

Alignment/Suspension:
West End Alignment, Evasive Motorports, Corner 3 Garage, etc.

Gas Stations:
Google

Hope that helps!
ImperiousRex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ImperiousRex For This Useful Post:
bear89103 (10-14-2013), juliog (10-15-2013), mad_sb (10-11-2013), mokinbird87 (10-15-2013)
Old 10-11-2013, 10:07 PM   #3
mad_sb

Right on man, thanks for the info

I have heard some stations out here have 94 or 100 while others have blender pumps etc... looking for advice on any place to get something higher than 91 or perhapse some E85 stations that are not in the "offical" DB's yet.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #4
RoTArYRooKiE

Drives: NCEC, FD3S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
that's some balls man. i admire people who can pick up and go wherever their career takes them. Maybe it's easier for those outside a major metropolitan area...but i just can't leave SoCal unless i'm going to Hawai'i. Safe journey.
RoTArYRooKiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
TemeCal

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I've used this before, to find 100oct gas stations. Some of the listings are outdated, so you may want to call the station before heading down to fill up.

http://www.davebarton.com/Unleaded_Racing_Fuel_in_SoCal

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...c917896a&msa=0
TemeCal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TemeCal For This Useful Post:
mad_sb (10-15-2013)
Old 10-15-2013, 04:32 AM   #6
SPCorBUST

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Hello OP,

SoCal has a sticky section for the local meets

Around here for road courses there is California Speedway, Willow Springs (Big Willow, Streets of Willow, etc.), Chuckwalla, and some others.

Lots of great local canyons as well, like Azusa and Palomar, but there are decent spots in several other places. Ortega has a nice route and you can stop at The Lookout to grab a bite while looking out at Lake Forest.

Extreme Speed Track Events and Red Line Time Attack are great organizations to get started with for tracking... I think it's actually the same company and you can buy races in packs if I recall. I've seen Chuckwalla for around $110 with these folks

There are only a few e85 gas stations around us (I'm in Irvine as well) and you already know one Huntington Beach location, but there are actually two in HB, and they're pretty close to each other IMO. Fullerton also has a couple.

I have a smog person that I can connect you with, but we can chat about that offline.

When you register from out of state, you'll test immediately entering the state of CA to register the car here, and every 2 years thereafter. I bought my BRZ in Colorado, so I'm on the same schedule.

Hope this helps!
Setup 5: JR C30 HBP, DW 700, DW 300, 3bar, FlexFuel, Delicious, Built Motor
Setup 6: JR C30 HBP, DW 700, DW 300, 3bar, FlexFuel, Delicious, Closed Deck Built Motor
SPCorBUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:18 AM   #7
mad_sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCorBUST View Post
Hello OP,

SoCal has a sticky section for the local meets

Around here for road courses there is California Speedway, Willow Springs (Big Willow, Streets of Willow, etc.), Chuckwalla, and some others.

Lots of great local canyons as well, like Azusa and Palomar, but there are decent spots in several other places. Ortega has a nice route and you can stop at The Lookout to grab a bite while looking out at Lake Forest.

Extreme Speed Track Events and Red Line Time Attack are great organizations to get started with for tracking... I think it's actually the same company and you can buy races in packs if I recall. I've seen Chuckwalla for around $110 with these folks

There are only a few e85 gas stations around us (I'm in Irvine as well) and you already know one Huntington Beach location, but there are actually two in HB, and they're pretty close to each other IMO. Fullerton also has a couple.

I have a smog person that I can connect you with, but we can chat about that offline.

When you register from out of state, you'll test immediately entering the state of CA to register the car here, and every 2 years thereafter. I bought my BRZ in Colorado, so I'm on the same schedule.

Hope this helps!
Yes it helps a ton, I'll shoot you a PM when i get settled, right now it's frantic.. I saw a white BRZ / FRS in irvine this weekend turning right from Barranca onto RedHill i think....... I was in town looking for a place. I'm going to be in Tustin, a couple miles north of the 5, if the leasing agent will get off her ass and get my application to the property owner....
Old 10-15-2013, 07:20 AM   #8
mad_sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoTArYRooKiE View Post
that's some balls man. i admire people who can pick up and go wherever their career takes them. Maybe it's easier for those outside a major metropolitan area...but i just can't leave SoCal unless i'm going to Hawai'i. Safe journey.
Well, i decided to move of SoCal first, then found the job that would get me the cost of living increase from east to west....

If I were already in SoCal I would not want to mover unless it were Hawaii, Costa Rica, or the Virgin Islands
Old 10-15-2013, 12:30 PM   #9
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCorBUST View Post

Only an issue if you want to be "legal" about it. CA law states you must register within 20 days of importing a car into the state (if CA resident), or 20 days of establishing residency.

Having said that, some people take their sweet time to register the car. The forms needed:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr9.htm

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:39 PM   #10
mokinbird87
BOXER FR

Drives: WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
hey I`m from Atlanta as well (moved 8 months ago from Duluth). you should come out to tuesday irvine meet!
Old 10-15-2013, 01:50 PM   #11
mad_sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokinbird87 View Post
hey I`m from Atlanta as well (moved 8 months ago from Duluth). you should come out to tuesday irvine meet!
Nice, i'm not far from duluth in Johns Creek. Will come out for sure. Should be on the ground moving in on 10/25.