follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 07-14-2012, 02:05 AM   #1
Mitch
form follows function

Drives: RIP '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My fists are made of hams. Paint help question inside...

For want of a nail the war was lost...

So it started with me wanting to debadge my BRZ. I just wanted to take off the SUBARU lettering since there was already a Subaru logo top dead center of the trunk. So I used some citrus based adhesive remover and floss to take the badge off. I wiped everything down and it looked good... until two days later. Apparently I needed to use water to remove the remaining cleaner residue. Apparently it oxides plastic when it gets hot. Apparently it gets hot in Louisiana. I'd lost track after living here a few years. So my left rear taillight had surface oxidation. No prob, I'll just grab a headlight/taillight kit and sand it to clarity, which worked like a charm. Only in my haste I skipped the whole "put painters tape down to protect the surrounding paint" step, so now there are faint scuff marks on the bottom of the taillight where I went past the plastic a couple of times. It actually doesn't show that badly, but I'm wondering if this is something I should attempt to rub/buff out, or if that might just make the matters worse. Advice?
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote