follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 03-27-2024, 12:45 PM   #15
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
Thanks for the food for thought! I had thought the fragile gearbox had been fixed by ND2, looking into it... Ditto for trans and diff cooling. Just joined forum.miata.net and posted up Qs on the track forum.
That forum is full of old guys who worry about color correct floor mats. You need to join miataturbo.net.

Part of how they were able to keep the weight down on the ND was tiny fluid capacities in transmission and diff. During testing they were seeing 300+ temps in both IIRC.

FM wouldn't have taken the time to develop the kits if they weren't necessary.

https://flyinmiata.com/collections/n...rtrain-cooling

You'll also want to look at the rollbar stuff. I think Blackbird Fabworx is the only guy that makes one that fits inside the hard top and gives better protection. I think it's also $1500+

I looked at all this real hard a few years ago. But ended up deciding to go with 2nd BRZ vs a 4th Miata.
ZDan (04-21-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM   #16
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
That forum is full of old guys who worry about color correct floor mats. You need to join miataturbo.net.

Yeah I'm just discovering that. The bottom of the first page in the "track" forum is posts from Sept/Oct '23...
Thanks for info, will join miataturbo!

Quote:
Part of how they were able to keep the weight down on the ND was tiny fluid capacities in transmission and diff. During testing they were seeing 300+ temps in both IIRC.

FM wouldn't have taken the time to develop the kits if they weren't necessary.
Usage is a factor though. If you have to run a 20-lap race or enduro, that's one thing. I'm usually only out on track for ~12 minutes at a time, sometimes just out to simulate a 3-lap time-trial.

Quote:
You'll also want to look at the rollbar stuff. I think Blackbird Fabworx is the only guy that makes one that fits inside the hard top and gives better protection. I think it's also $1500+
I probably won't bother with a hard top...

Quote:
I looked at all this real hard a few years ago. But ended up deciding to go with 2nd BRZ vs a 4th Miata.
I like the idea of getting back into a legit proper light(er)-weight 2-seat FR sports car.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 02:21 PM   #17
Lincoln Logs

Drives: #337 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
ND2 transmission is fine. I sold my 2017 86 for an ND2 Club with the Recaro/Brembo/BBS package on the car and put Xida on it. Couldn’t be happier. I love the GT86 platform as a do-it-all car but there is no denying the ND2 is a better sports car. The ND2 engine is also light years ahead in terms of feel. Lots of intangibles but it just feels like a more premium product. The Xida with touring rates is just right for calming the roll and making it feel buttoned down like a GT4.
Lincoln Logs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lincoln Logs For This Useful Post:
ruturaj001 (04-10-2024), ZDan (03-27-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 04:03 PM   #18
OkieSnuffBox

Quote:

Usage is a factor though. If you have to run a 20-lap race or enduro, that's one thing. I'm usually only out on track for ~12 minutes at a time, sometimes just out to simulate a 3-lap time-trial.
These were HPDE style sessions, but with guys who know how to drive. Not that you don't, but E and 949 were so fast at the beginning of last decade, NASA wrote a ton of rules to reign them in.

Quote:
I probably won't bother with a hard top...
Whoops, I meant to say the standard soft top, it's really tight.

Quote:
I like the idea of getting back into a legit proper light(er)-weight 2-seat FR sports car.
I hear ya. It took me a LOT of deliberation to decide on the 2nd gen BRZ over the ND2. I wanted something a little more quiet on longer drives. Then immediately lowered my car and put wider, lower profile tires, and a catback like a dumbass. At least now the OEM Audio+ setup covers up all the road/wind/exhaust noise when I want it to.
ZDan (03-27-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 02:07 AM   #19
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,297 Times in 718 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Blackbird Fabworx is the only guy that makes one that fits inside the hard top and gives better protection.

But while we're on topic, just get a soft top and a bar. All the available RF bars prevent the roof from ever going down again, and the RF weights more to begin with.
ruturaj001 (04-10-2024), ZDan (03-28-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 09:03 AM   #20
ZDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by timurrrr View Post
But while we're on topic, just get a soft top and a bar. All the available RF bars prevent the roof from ever going down again, and the RF weights more to begin with.
Yeah, I looked an an RF last year before I bought the '23 BRZ. Looks so bad-ass! But more weight, up high, for more $$$. And like you say, with roll bar top no longer drops (not that I care much, not really a convertible guy). FFS they should make a fixed-roof coupe version! Would give the same look, for less weight, and wouldn't even need a roll bar then...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
CaptainFenderbaum (04-01-2024), ruturaj001 (04-10-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 11:20 AM   #21
OkieSnuffBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by timurrrr View Post

1. I'm not the person that originally brought up the ND2 in this thread.
2. I already corrected that I meant soft top and not hard top.

"Lighten up Francis."
Old 03-28-2024, 02:19 PM   #22
ZDan

Quote:
These were HPDE style sessions, but with guys who know how to drive. Not that you don't, but E and 949 were so fast at the beginning of last decade, NASA wrote a ton of rules to reign them in.
Been there, every time I win my class, my car gets points piled onto it!

Quote:
Whoops, I meant to say the standard soft top, it's really tight.
Ah, I'll check with the Miata folk which is better route, HardDog or that other more $$$ one. Don't mind spending more if it doesn't end up ripping the top apart!

Quote:
I hear ya. It took me a LOT of deliberation to decide on the 2nd gen BRZ over the ND2. I wanted something a little more quiet on longer drives. Then immediately lowered my car and put wider, lower profile tires, and a catback like a dumbass. At least now the OEM Audio+ setup covers up all the road/wind/exhaust noise when I want it to.
The Following User Says Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
OkieSnuffBox (03-28-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 04:53 PM   #23
OkieSnuffBox

Quote:
Just couldn't help myself. Looks great though!
ZDan (03-30-2024)
Old 04-02-2024, 01:12 AM   #24
ruturaj001

Drives: BRZ 2023
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah, that looks like the ultimate answer. Meanwhile before pan is available, Accusump looks like the best solution at the moment.

Tryna decide whether to go ahead and get Accusump and then the deeper aftermarket oil pan solution when it is available, or get an ND2...
Too much complexity in accusump IMO. Just waiting for bigger oil pan would be better, shouldn't be too long, verus needs to make money.

2024 Miata ND3 sounds interesting. I wonder if RS model would be available.

Look in to NC3 as well, there is k swap coming for it from k industries, that will make it ultimate track car. And hydraulic steering.

Last edited by ruturaj001; 04-02-2024 at 01:35 AM. Reason: Added more thoughts
ruturaj001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ruturaj001 For This Useful Post:
ZDan (04-04-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 09:41 AM   #25
OkieSnuffBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruturaj001 View Post

Look in to NC3 as well, there is k swap coming for it from k industries, that will make it ultimate track car. And hydraulic steering.
If it's like the 1st gen for the twins, the kit is alone is $10k.
Old 04-10-2024, 11:36 AM   #26
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruturaj001 View Post
Too much complexity in accusump IMO. Just waiting for bigger oil pan would be better, shouldn't be too long, verus needs to make money.

2024 Miata ND3 sounds interesting. I wonder if RS model would be available.

I'm on the same page as 900BRZ and yourself. An accusump is just too much extra things to go wrong compared to a larger pan.

Curious about the baffle though, in my research and design, the main drawback was not enough oil returning back to the sump over the course of any reasonable turn on all tracks. Unless you plan on doing high G clockwise circles all day, I didn't think a baffle was solving the return issue.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 05:23 PM   #27
ruturaj001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
I'm on the same page as 900BRZ and yourself. An accusump is just too much extra things to go wrong compared to a larger pan.

Curious about the baffle though, in my research and design, the main drawback was not enough oil returning back to the sump over the course of any reasonable turn on all tracks. Unless you plan on doing high G clockwise circles all day, I didn't think a baffle was solving the return issue.
Yes, baffle can not solve the issue by itself. We will need to compare cars with larger pan but without baffle and with baffle to figure that part out. I don't think anyone would bother doing that.
Old 04-10-2024, 06:12 PM   #28
ruturaj001

Quote:
If it's like the 1st gen for the twins, the kit is alone is $10k.
It's easier than twins because you are swapping inline 4 with inline 4. The kits for Miata have always been cheaper than for twins, plus NC is supposed to be easier swap than NB which was easier than NA.

https://kpower.industries/blogs/news...al-kmiata-swap

Last edited by ruturaj001; 04-10-2024 at 06:23 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ruturaj001 For This Useful Post:
OkieSnuffBox (04-10-2024)

Tags
900brz, fa24, oil pressure