follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 02-11-2016, 12:07 PM   #1
NyC Zn6

Drives: 10 Series #974 6m/t
Thanked 1,141 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
OFT tuning with other turbo kits

I know OFT can be used to tune the SBD kit but what about other kits. For example if i ordered a Fullblown or JDL kit can i use the OFT to tune the kits? If not do i only have the choice of using Ecutek?
NyC Zn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:21 PM   #2
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyC Zn6 View Post
I know OFT can be used to tune the SBD kit but what about other kits. For example if i ordered a Fullblown or JDL kit can i use the OFT to tune the kits? If not do i only have the choice of using Ecutek?
It theoreticly possible to tune those kits with oft but you would have to do it yourself or get a tuner to do it.

most tuners will probably baulk as they cannot lock their tune from copying and they are not faliliar with oft and the patches to ecu firmware required.

so your probably need to get car to shiv.

shiv now has overboost cut patch and soon flex fuel.

which pretty well means Ecutek
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
aagun (02-11-2016), NyC Zn6 (02-11-2016)
Old 02-11-2016, 04:48 PM   #3
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Thanked 7,307 Times in 4,485 Posts
Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Tagged: 185 Thread(s)
Garage
Shiv can normally do personalized tunes or can adjust your tune and send a map for you if you send him your current tune map. It's easier for me because Shiv and I live in the same town. Send him a PM asking him what he can do, I also believe he just created a thread today or yesterday about him branching out to other FI kits.

Heres the thread: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100974
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
MisterSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 05:38 AM   #4
ztan

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyC Zn6 View Post
As long as you are happy tuning yourself, or have a tuner who is happy using RomRaider, you can use OFT or Tactrix.

I've tuned my Greddy kit with RomRaider and Tactrix - can send you my ROM (based on A01G) for an idea of how it runs.
ztan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ztan For This Useful Post:
NyC Zn6 (02-12-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 12:08 AM   #5
keen as

Drives: 86 GT MT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztan View Post
As long as you are happy tuning yourself, or have a tuner who is happy using RomRaider, you can use OFT or Tactrix.

I've tuned my Greddy kit with RomRaider and Tactrix - can send you my ROM (based on A01G) for an idea of how it runs.

Hi ztan,

I have the Phantom ESC. There is an OFT tune available for N.America. After repeated requests from Shiv, he sent me a petrol and E85 tune.

I have loaded the E85 tune. The tune has problems. Are you interested to look at them? I have A01G ROM. Shiv has not replied to my feedback.

E85 tune. The cold start idle goes very rich, low rpm, shaking, stalling. I have a attached a log of this. The long story is that I asked someone to copy the N.America tune to the A01G rom. Similar low, stalling idle problem. It was thought to be due to the Australian rom definition had missing tables. That person fixed the idle issue. He said the problem was in the cat warm up tables. However that tune was too lean in the lower rpm and full throttle and we gave up and I'm not using that tune.

Also, Shiv's tune, at low rpms, around 2k rpm, typical for cruising and overtaking, any boost makes it very rich and severe bogging, the car slows down. I have attached a full throttle log for this. During the full throttle log, the car is able to accelerate past the bogging. However with normal driving overtaking in higher gear and mid throttle, the car bogs and slows down (Only full throttle log attached)
Attached Files
File Type: zip ESC E85 A01G.zip (490.2 KB, 115 views)
keen as is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 02:41 AM   #6
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen as View Post
Hi ztan,

I have the Phantom ESC. There is an OFT tune available for N.America. After repeated requests from Shiv, he sent me a petrol and E85 tune.

I have loaded the E85 tune. The tune has problems. Are you interested to look at them? I have A01G ROM. Shiv has not replied to my feedback.

E85 tune. The cold start idle goes very rich, low rpm, shaking, stalling. I have a attached a log of this. The long story is that I asked someone to copy the N.America tune to the A01G rom. Similar low, stalling idle problem. It was thought to be due to the Australian rom definition had missing tables. That person fixed the idle issue. He said the problem was in the cat warm up tables. However that tune was too lean in the lower rpm and full throttle and we gave up and I'm not using that tune.

Also, Shiv's tune, at low rpms, around 2k rpm, typical for cruising and overtaking, any boost makes it very rich and severe bogging, the car slows down. I have attached a full throttle log for this. During the full throttle log, the car is able to accelerate past the bogging. However with normal driving overtaking in higher gear and mid throttle, the car bogs and slows down (Only full throttle log attached)
assuming the tune you posted is shivs tune ?

if so fixed a few thing in start and load limits
Attached Files
File Type: zip ESC E85 A01G_start_load_fix.zip (478.0 KB, 131 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (02-18-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 04:04 PM   #7
keen as

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post

Yes, is Shiv's tune.
Thanks a lot, I'll try the new tune over the weekend and check the logs.
Old 02-18-2016, 04:47 PM   #8
NyC Zn6

Drives: 10 Series #974 6m/t
Thanked 1,141 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes, is Shiv's tune.
keep us posted
NyC Zn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 11:29 PM   #9
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Yes, is Shiv's tune.
if it still plays up

Disconect poer to the ESC so it wont apply boost
Load a standard oft stage 2 e85 tune into car

If it still plays up with standard e85 tune and no esc boost then its likey a hardware problem with car like intake or exhaust leak or dirty or crook maf sensor ect.
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
keen as (02-18-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 11:38 PM   #10
Wayno

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi ztan,

I bet the person's name starts with R, and ends with "obert".

Should be easy to copy over the relevant tables from C to G.
Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 11:41 PM   #11
keen as

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno View Post
I bet the person's name starts with R, and ends with "obert".

Should be easy to copy over the relevant tables from C to G.

Yes, Robert tried to help, but the tune was too lean in low revs and we gave up.

If it is easy, why is Shiv's tune bad as well?
Old 02-20-2016, 01:58 AM   #12
ztan

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi ztan,

Hi mate,
Nothing too obvious in the ROM.
1. In your log, you are getting load values of 2.5 early on - does this coincide with ESC activation? You're A01G so I'm assuming manual and no torque converter to mess up load transiently.
2. Have you checked your EVAP hoses under the manifold, they pop real easy and if they have not been clamped, you could be leaking boost (though this would get even worse at high RPM which you do not seem to be getting).
3. Worth rescaling your Front O2 sensor so it reads a bit more accurately - yours is currently bounded low at 11.32:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82875 see last post for best scale I have come up with.
4. If no boost leak and you're still running very rich at low RPM when your ESC kicks in, you'll either need to rescale MAF properly to suit your own setup, or play around with EL comp table.
5. There is a tendency for Subaru ECUs to go rich on CL/OL transition - look at the NASIOC forums searching for "rich dip". Most people accept their numbers going off as long as the car doesn't bog. Can you log CL/OL status?
ztan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 05:22 AM   #13
keen as

Quote:

Quote:
if it still plays up

Disconect poer to the ESC so it wont apply boost
Load a standard oft stage 2 e85 tune into car

If it still plays up with standard e85 tune and no esc boost then its likey a hardware problem with car like intake or exhaust leak or dirty or crook maf sensor ect.
I have attached logs

Cold start stalling, very rich
2 full throttle with boost pulls, lean at around 2-2.5k rpm
1 pull with ESC switched off
1 pull with Stage2 EL E85 with ESC switched off. ------- seems to be OK. I guess the hardware is OK.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Steve 99 Logs.zip (57.0 KB, 108 views)
Old 02-21-2016, 05:31 AM   #14
keen as

[QUOTE=ztan;2554762]Hi mate,
Nothing too obvious in the ROM.
1. In your log, you are getting load values of 2.5 early on - does this coincide with ESC activation? You're A01G so I'm assuming manual and no torque converter to mess up load transiently.
--------------------Yes, look at the boost channel, boost coming on. Yes manual-----------------
2. Have you checked your EVAP hoses under the manifold, they pop real easy and if they have not been clamped, you could be leaking boost (though this would get even worse at high RPM which you do not seem to be getting).
-------------------I have clamped both ends of the tube. It made no difference -----------
3. Worth rescaling your Front O2 sensor so it reads a bit more accurately - yours is currently bounded low at 11.32:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82875 see last post for best scale I have come up with.
------------------Thanks, I try and work thru this------------
4. If no boost leak and you're still running very rich at low RPM when your ESC kicks in, you'll either need to rescale MAF properly to suit your own setup, or play around with EL comp table.
------------------OK, rescale MAF. What is EL comp table?
5. There is a tendency for Subaru ECUs to go rich on CL/OL transition - look at the NASIOC forums searching for "rich dip". Most people accept their numbers going off as long as the car doesn't bog. Can you log CL/OL status?
-------------I can log Closed loop/Open loop status------