follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 09-23-2013, 04:33 PM   #15
Shankenstein
Frosty Carrot

Drives: The Atomic Carrot
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Every car is different... but this guy is one I trust: LINK

- The loudest SPL trunk cars press the box against the rear of the trunk. Subs forward, port forward. Less cancellation and the trunk opening acts like a 4th order bandpass. These cars are typically running too much power, so small boxes keep the sub loaded properly (stable), but cause significant impedance rise.

- To the ear, most trunk cars get deep bass and well distributed sound with a subs rear, ports rear. Press the box rearward with 3-4" between the port exit and any trunk walls, there shouldn't be much restriction. With subs up (SUV or CRX box), you probably want 4-6" of clearance from the deck lid and trunk.

- SQ trunk cars come in many varieties. I've seen many infinite baffle setups do well with the seats down if the sub is clean and modest power. Most people choose to build into the floor for asthetic reasons, with upward firing and keep the seats up. It's not efficient, even with ports in the rear shelf, but it keeps the bass omnidirectional and damps alot of noise from the trunk area.
Shankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:03 PM   #16
glorydays
Remember me?

Drives: BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
i have a small sealed box with a 12 thats in the spare tire well. the box is thin but hits hard as hell and its facing up so i guess every car is different.

to the OP: The thing is our seats arent individual. You could possibly make a box that mounts on to the rear seat using like 8s or something or go crazy and split the seats, or kill the seats since no one uses them anyway. An idea i had was to build a box behind the driver cause im not moving my seat up for anyone to ride with me. you'd still have a 3 seater.

Last edited by glorydays; 09-23-2013 at 07:14 PM.
glorydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:38 PM   #17
supercroc

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I do put people in the back seat. LOL My intern loved it. Bahahahaha

Back to the topic: now I am considering like a 3" sub somewhere in the back seat area. Sounds awkward but might work...

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4
supercroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:26 PM   #18
Sbeezy

Drives: 2001 ZX2, WRBP BRZ (soon hopefully)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercroc View Post
I do put people in the back seat. LOL My intern loved it. Bahahahaha

Back to the topic: now I am considering like a 3" sub somewhere in the back seat area. Sounds awkward but might work...

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4
you better have that 3in sub in a rear loaded horn or chambered transmission line in order to get good LFE out of it.
Sbeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:02 AM   #19
mid_life_crisis

Drives: FR-S 10 #103 AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbeezy View Post
you better have that 3in sub in a rear loaded horn or chambered transmission line in order to get good LFE out of it.
I think he meant 3 inch deep.
I hope he meant 3 inch deep but even that is awful shallow.
mid_life_crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mid_life_crisis For This Useful Post:
Sbeezy (09-24-2013)
Old 09-24-2013, 09:08 AM   #20
mid_life_crisis

I think that beautiful wall posted earlier is the way to go. You'll want to mount it back so when the rear seat is up it has a gap between the speaker and the seat. Design the system so sound is optimal with the rear seat down. With the wall there, you shouldn't have a problem with road noise from the trunk area. If you get an amp with remote adjustability you can turn up the gain to counter the reduction in sound if you have to put the seat up. If you want it to sound sweet when you are alone, tune everything with the seat down and just accept that the sound won't be as good on those occasions when you have the seat up.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:20 AM   #21
mid_life_crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankenstein View Post
- SQ trunk cars come in many varieties. I've seen many infinite baffle setups do well with the seats down if the sub is clean and modest power. Most people choose to build into the floor for asthetic reasons, with upward firing and keep the seats up. It's not efficient, even with ports in the rear shelf, but it keeps the bass omnidirectional and damps alot of noise from the trunk area.
The comment about ports reminded me of a system I had years ago that could work in this car. A bandpass box has only ports exposed. The speakers are completely in the box. You can cut clearance holes in the deck and position the box so the ports fire through them. Make sure they are sealed tight against the deck. Wrap the deck in acoustically transparent cloth and no one can see it from outside. I doubt it would win a competition, but as a daily driver it would sound plenty nice and be hidden from view at all times.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:25 AM   #22
PineappleFriedRice
Truuu

Drives: 2013 FRS, 88 EF Civic, 05 Matrix
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercroc View Post
Has anyone mounted a sub in the middle of the rear seat like seen in the GTR? I love the idea, but have no idea where to start. It should be a great way to save the boot space and keep all the weight between the wheels.

I would love to see some pics and hear about the installation!

Its not exactly what you're looking for but this is what I did today:

and no, I cannot fold my rear seats down unless I remove the bottom speaker.

PS: Looks a lot better in person

GARRET .60 TRIM-UEL HEADERS-1150cc INJECTORS-DW FUEL PUMP-RACESENG CAM PLATE-PERRIN 3" CATBACK-ULTIMATE RACING 2.75 OP/FP-FBM CATCHCAN-SINGER 275AMP ALTERNATOR-MEGAN TRACK COILS-MEGAN F/R STRUTBARS-AXLE EXCHANGE ALUMINUM DRIVESHAFT-ACT 6 PUCK-ANARCHY MOTIVE SHIFTKNOB-XXR 535-HANKOOK VENTUS EVO V2-CS LIP KIT
Build Thread - FA20FAIL Archive
PineappleFriedRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:16 AM   #23
Unicorn
Banned

Drives: GT86
Quote:
Originally Posted by PineappleFriedRice View Post
Dear PineappleFriedRice,

I am not convinced.

Yours sincerely,
Unicorn
Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Unicorn For This Useful Post:
onefitz (10-18-2013)
Old 10-18-2013, 05:15 PM   #24
butdamnbrian

Drives: 13 gbs brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Dear PineappleFriedRice,

I am not convinced.

Yours sincerely,
butdamnbrian
glorydays (10-18-2013), onefitz (10-19-2013)
Old 10-19-2013, 12:09 AM   #25
PineappleFriedRice
Truuu

haters gonna hate

GARRET .60 TRIM-UEL HEADERS-1150cc INJECTORS-DW FUEL PUMP-RACESENG CAM PLATE-PERRIN 3" CATBACK-ULTIMATE RACING 2.75 OP/FP-FBM CATCHCAN-SINGER 275AMP ALTERNATOR-MEGAN TRACK COILS-MEGAN F/R STRUTBARS-AXLE EXCHANGE ALUMINUM DRIVESHAFT-ACT 6 PUCK-ANARCHY MOTIVE SHIFTKNOB-XXR 535-HANKOOK VENTUS EVO V2-CS LIP KIT
Old 10-19-2013, 12:31 AM   #26
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
haters gonna hate
that is such a stupid line. every time i've heard it, it implies that you think everyone else is somehow jealous of what you have, and are simply not liking it because it's not theirs, which if it were theirs, they would like it, which is not usually the case, and in this specific instance, is definitely not the case.

you decided to post it online, which means that everyone is allowed to have an opinion of it, regardless of whether it falls in line with your opinion or not, and if it doesn't deal with it. not everyone is jealous of your setup, i for one can guarantee i won't be copying your setup ever because i think it looks horrid, not because it's installed on not-my-car, but i don't like it overall..

/rant(don't even get me started on yolo...)
onefitz (10-19-2013)
Old 10-19-2013, 01:11 AM   #27
PineappleFriedRice
Truuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
that is such a stupid line. every time i've heard it, it implies that you think everyone else is somehow jealous of what you have, and are simply not liking it because it's not theirs, which if it were theirs, they would like it, which is not usually the case, and in this specific instance, is definitely not the case.

you decided to post it online, which means that everyone is allowed to have an opinion of it, regardless of whether it falls in line with your opinion or not, and if it doesn't deal with it. not everyone is jealous of your setup, i for one can guarantee i won't be copying your setup ever because i think it looks horrid, not because it's installed on not-my-car, but i don't like it overall..

/rant(don't even get me started on yolo...)

Woah relax there bud you're over thinking that line way too much. I don't doubt how "horrid" that looks hence why I felt the need to say it looks better in person.

Unicorn and butd(......) replied with something comical and that was my "comeback" (and a pretty lousy one from what I gather) but it wasn't a retort in any way nor does it imply what you describe.

If I struck a nerve with that line and caused any trauma then I apologize. Just be grateful I didn't add hashtag yolo swag at the end of that post cause you probably would have had a heart attack from that lol

Old 10-19-2013, 12:27 PM   #28
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
welcome to the interwebz-- where everything is open to interpretation. i've been called out for the term ghettoblasters before, because some people have only been exposed to the derogatory term being used for the jewish ghettos of europe, so they interpreted it as a racist remark towards jews, where i had grown up learning to the term to describe cheap, poorly installed sound systems...

everyone's got a different background, and around me, 'haters gon hate' has really negative connotations, hence my post..

Tags
gtr, sub box, subwoofer