follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

View Poll Results: GReddy vs Full Blown GTX3076R vs Other
Full Blown Stage 1 with GRX3076R kit 42 72.41%
GReddy kit 14 24.14%
Other (Please defend your suggestion) 2 3.45%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 07-21-2014, 01:06 AM   #1
slisgrinder

Drives:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Lightbulb *** [DECIDED] GReddy *** Full Blown vs GReddy

Goodmorrow Ladies and Gents,

As the title points out I am torn between the GReddy kit and the Full Blown Stage 1 Premium with the GTX3076R kit. First let me introduce myself...

My name is Kartik, and I drive a kitted out Tacoma as my daily. Its got Fox coilovers all around with 3/16" skid plates, ARB front bumper, CBI rear bumper, 10000 LB winch from TJM, on 285 duratracks with a roof top tent, 40L of fuel and a spare on the swingout and drinks 80L of regular weekly. Also it looks like this:

Please pardon the tent (and my mom), first time opening it up for an upcoming trip.

Now, I will be an owner of a 2015 FRS on August 9th and I was able to get all my parts financed into my payment plan. I was spec'ed out by my favorite shop the GReddy kit but after looking at the parts online, the option of upgrading that kit was a little scarce (please correct me if I am wrong). So I started looking around for a similar setup in terms of placement of the turbo and found Full Blown's Stage 1 Premium kit. Some might argue that this layout of the turbo is not ideal for weight distribution but I also have to take into account the truck loads of road salt that Calgary puts in our 8 month snow season.

I completely understand that driving this car in the winter with a performance turbo is a big no no but I will do it regardless on good dry days (we get those too just simply think that its soooo cold and dry that theres ice and salt dust and anything wet is glazed).

I was wondering if people that have already had FI kits installed on theirs preferably people with GReddy and Full Blown kits to please contribute your thoughts and why I should go with either one. Also if you have another kit in mind please defend your suggestion so that I may weigh all my options.

Thanks for your time guys. Happy hunting...

Last edited by slisgrinder; 08-13-2014 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Decision was reached...
slisgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:26 AM   #2
midnight23
dying bird under the hood

Drives: 2013 SWP Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Well, the GReddy kit and the Full Blown are two different beasts. What are your goals with the car?
Obviously drag racing and highway pulls the Full Blown with the gtx30 (300-500+whp) will blow GReddy out of the water without a question, but if you want something more streetable (220-350+ whp) GReddy would be the better option. It comes down to what you want long term. I chose the GReddy kit mainly because I like their products and it met my goals.

I would suggest finding locals in your area that have FI and taking a ride in their car to feel the different power levels (200 300 400) just the jump from stock 150 to 250 is huge.

Full Blown and GReddy are very quality companies and you won't go wrong with either choice.
midnight23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to midnight23 For This Useful Post:
MVLSCROWNZ (07-21-2014)
Old 07-21-2014, 07:23 AM   #3
slisgrinder

Drives:
Thanks for your input. My goals for this car are :
1. Its going to be a DD.
2. Down the road in about a year it will become trackable.
3. Motor will be rebuilt in a couple of years to handle a bit more power.

Next year all the bracing and all the bushings will get put on. Coilovers too. I just wanted to have an upgrade path in terms of the kit which I dont know if I can do that with the GReddy kit.

Sent fabulously from a fabulous phablet in the hands of a fabulously dressed phantom with a fabulous phone...which is a fabulous phablet.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:39 AM   #4
Floggin Tires

Drives: ZC6, Junk of ALL sorts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Like midnight they are both capable kits.
For your goals chose FMB, all the way.
Don't look back.
They will support more than GReedy.
Meaning you can/will deal with them directly.
This being said, I have neither kit.
Just talk to full blown yourself let them know your goal progression.
You will be happy.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:51 AM   #5
midnight23
dying bird under the hood

Drives: 2013 SWP Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Definitely, go with the full blown since you are planning to rebuild for more power later. You should be fine buying every part you need from them, built motor, turbo kit, cooling
midnight23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:57 AM   #6
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
I have a custom kit made by a reputable local shop sporting a GTX3076R.

The turbo is awesome.

I would recommend either FBM, or local custom if a reputable shop is available.

I love my turbo choice a lot, and it has great room to grow.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
kombatlion (07-21-2014)
Old 07-21-2014, 08:10 AM   #7
slisgrinder

Drives:
I was online comparing the turbos and the honeywell site said 0.70 AR for that turbo. Does that still hold true for the FBM kit or does the piping change that? Also tbis would push on peak boost around the 3.5 or 4k rpm would it not compared to the GReddy kit?

Sent fabulously from a fabulous phablet in the hands of a fabulously dressed phantom with a fabulous phone...which is a fabulous phablet.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:28 AM   #8
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Drives: violent
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
whoa whoa whoa, slow this down.

You are comparing two very different kits with two very differant turbos. First off why the gtx30? Do you have e85? or planning on lowering the compression? The gtx30 is great all around but really makes itself beneficial above 450 where the gtx28 cant keep up. The gtx28 is an absolute torque monster (see my build thread for dyno) and is extremely efficient below 450whp. I believe its the best fit for this engine at stock compression. Fullblown also has amazing customer service and does not require cutting the crash beam. Not a huge selling point for some, but in an area with bad weather might be something you want to think about. The kit is also easily upgradeable.
The greddy kit is good quality and fits well but dont expect over 300whp without a different turbo and a bov. Also the crash beam gets hacked up if that bothers you. Personally the turbo is archaic compared to a gtx.
Look at my build thread. I would strongly suggest the fullblown kit and seriously consider the gtx28 unless you have e85 or are planning on lowering the compression and blowing up a transmission.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:44 AM   #9
slisgrinder

Drives:
I am planning on doing the latter. The crash beam is important to me which is also a plus. I only thought about the gtx3076r because i saw a bunch of other kits using it. But i will definitely have a look at your build thread. Thanks.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:59 AM   #10
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Yeah take Reaper's advice. The nice thing is if you want to go from a GTX28 to a GTX30 it's a simple swap. The GTX28 will supply more than enough power to blow up your engine.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xwd For This Useful Post:
Manji (07-21-2014)
Old 07-21-2014, 09:13 AM   #11
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Drives: violent
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwx View Post
Yeah take Reaper's advice. The nice thing is if you want to go from a GTX28 to a GTX30 it's a simple swap. The GTX28 will supply more than enough power to blow up your engine.
I feel the gtx28 is right about where the transmission and stock engine are at their limits. The gtx30 is nice, but you're up over 500whp before you start making the same wheel torque as my gtx28 and i really dont need 550whp or so on a stock engine and drivetrain. Granted wtq, not whp is what truely breaks stuff i feel like my fat torque curve favors my valvetrain a bit.

If you look at my dyno sheet you'll see my torque drop off a bit in the high rpm's(after 6500rpm). Im on a manual boost controller for a few reasons but with an ebcs you could flatten that out a little more and make it more of a monster.

You could also buy @dwx 's kit. He has a gtx28
Old 07-21-2014, 09:36 AM   #12
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
The greddy kit is good quality and fits well but dont expect over 300whp without a different turbo and a bov. Also the crash beam gets hacked up if that bothers you. Personally the turbo is archaic compared to a gtx.
Look at my build thread. I would strongly suggest the fullblown kit and seriously consider the gtx28 unless you have e85 or are planning on lowering the compression and blowing up a transmission.
Multiple guys have gotten over 300 whp with custom tuning on the unmodified GReddy kit with 93 octane. With that being said, I would recommend the Full Blown Base Stage 1 kit with the GT2871R as a nice compromise between the two kits in the poll. It should do over 300 whp even on Canadian 91 octane and will save you some money.

I don't know that financing a turbo kit into the purchase of the car is a great idea though.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:33 AM   #13
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Listen to these people. They have real hands on experience. Remember pay for a quality dyno tune from a tuner who knows the platform. Its not boost that blows engines its usually bad installs and a bad tune

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jflogerzi For This Useful Post:
kombatlion (07-21-2014)
Old 07-21-2014, 03:55 PM   #14
Boss Paco
Subaru Certified Sales

Drives: '13 BRZ Premium, '05 WRX STi
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
So many options out there... My question to you is why these two? Even check out the SC options? Do you plan on installing or using a shop to do the work for you?

This isn't a plunge you will want to take half-blind. Dip your toe, read more and then decide if you really want to swim in these waters.

I don't know if I'm overly paranoid, but I've been noticing some folks with issues lately. Maybe related to E85, maybe not. Our platform is still so new that no one really knows what's going to be bulletproof.

If you're OK with a possible blown trans, rear or motor, then I'd recommend the FBM kit because its got the most overhead. Of the two I've seen, however, I would definitely spend for the cooling upgrades. They aren't kind in that department.

Midnight23's car is solid and I followed it before I took the plunge on my car. Our setups and power outputs are similar. I believe I am just as happy as he is. I love my boosted BRZ but who doesn't want MORE POWER?

[Subaru WRX STi] Benson Block - Kelford Cams - PTE6466 - ID2000s - AEM - E85
[Subaru BRZ] Speed by Design Turbo Kit - Invidia N1 - BC Racing BR Coilovers - Rota RT5s
[Subaru WRX] Prodrive - Subaru Tecnica International - APS - Tein - Rota Titans
"The only thing that I trust in this world is cars!" - Don 'The Goods' Ready
Boss Paco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boss Paco For This Useful Post:
midnight23 (07-21-2014)