follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-13-2019, 12:10 PM   #1
juniorrr

Drives: Scion Frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Anyone delete muffler on a 2.5 PERRIN Resonated Exhaust?

I’m currently running Tomei UEL, Stock Overpipe, HKS Dual resonates front Pipe, and 2.5 Perrin Resonated Catback. I was wondering if I was to delete the muffler on the Perrin Catback if that would take away the deep sound of the exhaust cuz it sounds very deep but I just want it a bit louder. Also I think I have too much back pressure with 3 resonators and 1 muffler. Was also thinking of getting an overpipe but I honestly think it’s really worth it tbh(opinions?). Thanks Ahead of time!
juniorrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:08 PM   #2
BigTuna

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Why not just unhook the muffler and go for a drive?
Old 06-13-2019, 01:17 PM   #3
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,213 Times in 1,130 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
You should consider a perrin 3". You'll get more noise, whith a similar tone.

Deleting the muffler will make it sound different and a lot louder.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:46 PM   #4
juniorrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTuna View Post
Why not just unhook the muffler and go for a drive?
Would that give me the same noise as if it was being split by a Y pipe?
Old 06-13-2019, 01:58 PM   #5
Trueweltall

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorrr View Post
Would that give me the same noise as if it was being split by a Y pipe?
Yes. Prepare for it to be insanely loud and annoying though.
Trueweltall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:59 PM   #6
BigTuna

Yes. The sound shouldn't change whether it dumps at the axle, or if it gets extended to the bumper. There might be a difference inside the cabin since it's dumping under the car, rather than out the back, but that's it.

You'll also have to find some place to make a custom muffler delete that connects to where the Perrin mid-pipe is located.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:03 PM   #7
Turdinator
Señor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Garage
Quote:
I’m currently running Tomei UEL, Stock Overpipe, HKS Dual resonates front Pipe, and 2.5 Perrin Resonated Catback. I was wondering if I was to delete the muffler on the Perrin Catback if that would take away the deep sound of the exhaust cuz it sounds very deep but I just want it a bit louder. Also I think I have too much back pressure with 3 resonators and 1 muffler. Was also thinking of getting an overpipe but I honestly think it’s really worth it tbh(opinions?). Thanks Ahead of time!
The stock overpipe will create more back pressure than the resonators or muffler...
Old 06-14-2019, 02:27 AM   #8
juniorrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdinator View Post
The stock overpipe will create more back pressure than the resonators or muffler...
So do you think it’s worth getting an overpipe then? Cuz that means I have a lot
Of backpressure with stock op 3 reasonators and a muffler. On top of this I want the car a tiny bit louder...
Old 06-14-2019, 02:53 AM   #9
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
The Perrin exhaust is pretty expensive, have you considered selling/trading for another exhaust before hacking into it?
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 03:12 AM   #10
Will BRZ
Damn that's crazy...

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Kinda interested in how that sounds. Any reason why you went with a dial resonated front pipe on top of the resonated catback? You got some quality parts there. I would consider trading/selling the front pipe for a single cat one and also swap out the overpipe. Then you would have a resonator, a cat, and muffler which I think would result in a nice flowing, good sounding exhaust. It depends on your goals and stuff, but I feel like the muffler delete would be a bit much. Good luck
Will BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 03:36 AM   #11
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Quote:
So do you think it’s worth getting an overpipe then? Cuz that means I have a lot
Of backpressure with stock op 3 reasonators and a muffler. On top of this I want the car a tiny bit louder...
Perforated resonators do not create more back pressure, quite the opposite.

Perforated resonators that is, NOT louvered resonators like a hotbog.

The perferations create a effect that negates the boundry layer inside the pipe, the boundry layer is formed on a pipe by the flow of exhaust gases.

To a point, if you are pushing alot of horsepower through a small resonator the effects are reversed and the boundary layer reforms.

A larger overpipe isn't really going to make it louder, a 2.5" overpipe will be better than the OEM one, it will act as a collector of the same diameter as your header.

A Ultrex 2.5" resonator is a good cheap peice of kit, make sure you wrap it though.

Unless you are making over 300hpatw I cannot see you needing a 3" exhaust.

If you are NA, going any bigger than 2.5" may negatively effect scavenging/performance, maybe.....

From my experience you will not have any restriction in your exhaust flow if you are still NA.

More noise on the other hand, why? It won't make you any faster, just more annoying to those around you.
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 03:41 AM   #12
juniorrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalpb View Post
The Perrin exhaust is pretty expensive, have you considered selling/trading for another exhaust before hacking into it?
I have but I can’t find any exhaust that will give me that really deep rumble that I want like how the Perrin Resonated gives me. Closes us Q300 I think but it’s not nearly as good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will BRZ View Post
Kinda interested in how that sounds. Any reason why you went with a dial resonated front pipe on top of the resonated catback? You got some quality parts there. I would consider trading/selling the front pipe for a single cat one and also swap out the overpipe. Then you would have a resonator, a cat, and muffler which I think would result in a nice flowing, good sounding exhaust. It depends on your goals and stuff, but I feel like the muffler delete would be a bit much. Good luck
I wanted to absolutely eliminate as much rasp as possible with no cats and it worked. I get zero rasp at all rpm’s and it’s extremely deep but I just wish it was a tiny bit louder. I really don’t want a cat on my car cuz it’s too much air restriction tbh and would really diminish the volume and even take away some deepness. The dual resonated fp allows me to have the benefits of better flow and deeper louder sound with no rasp. I just want the same deepness and bit louder with little to no rasp.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:48 AM   #13
BigTuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalpb View Post
Quote:
I have but I can’t find any exhaust that will give me that really deep rumble that I want like how the Perrin Resonated gives me. Closes us Q300 I think but it’s not nearly as good
The Perrin just has a V-band right before the muffler. Just unhook it and drive around.

Resonators don't rob you of horsepower, most are just a larger section of pipe to cut down on the resonant frequencies. Catalytic converters, are the ones that cause restriction.

If you end up liking it, but have a range where it drones, you can always make a Helmholtz resonator to the proper specs that eliminate the drone at that RPM.

Last edited by BigTuna; 06-14-2019 at 08:00 AM.
BigTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigTuna For This Useful Post:
wparsons (01-20-2020)
Old 06-14-2019, 09:48 PM   #14
Turdinator
Señor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Garage
Quote:
Yes it would be the biggest restriction you have at the moment.

If you want louder get an exhaust shop to make a track pipe with a vband that connects to the perrin midpipe. I suspect that won't give you much power at all and will add rasp and drone.

As mentioned above, drop the rear muffler off and see how it sounds. Just be careful how much you drive it like that tho as people have melted rear bumpers by autocrossing without a muffler or track pipe.
The Following User Says Thank You to Turdinator For This Useful Post:
juniorrr (08-10-2019)