follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

View Poll Results: What is more fun?
Power to weight ratio 28 80.00%
Power to grip ratio 7 20.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 05-13-2016, 01:02 PM   #1
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,187 Times in 3,474 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
What is more fun?

What is more fun?

1. Power to weight ratio

2. Power to grip ratio
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:03 PM   #2
Pat.Thornton

Drives: 2014' 86
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Probably number 2 if you don't crash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pat.Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pat.Thornton For This Useful Post:
JD001 (05-13-2016)
Old 05-14-2016, 08:45 AM   #3
Aozora.BRZ

Drives: '15 WRB Series.Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
3. Power to girls ratio
Old 05-14-2016, 10:34 AM   #4
JD001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aozora.BRZ View Post
3. Power to girls ratio
I have noticed that girls do tend to look at the car, I just put it down to the fact it's pink..
Old 05-14-2016, 11:17 AM   #5
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD001 View Post
I have noticed that girls do tend to look at the car, I just put it down to the fact it's pink..

Pink?

Pics or BS!
Old 05-14-2016, 11:38 AM   #6
JD001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Pink?

Pics or BS!
BS! However WRB does sparkle in the right light that does attract the eye.
The Following User Says Thank You to JD001 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-14-2016)
Old 05-14-2016, 11:44 AM   #7
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
BS! However WRB does sparkle in the right light that does attract the eye.
Never mind. I found it!

acetothermus (05-15-2016), JD001 (05-14-2016), Pat.Thornton (05-14-2016), spike021 (05-14-2016)
Old 05-14-2016, 12:01 PM   #8
JD001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Never mind. I found it!

If that is what you call pink then my WRB will qualify too.
The Following User Says Thank You to JD001 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-14-2016)
Old 05-14-2016, 12:48 PM   #9
Norville Rogers
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
What is more fun?

1. Power to weight ratio

2. Power to grip ratio

Which is more fun?
Norville Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Norville Rogers For This Useful Post:
JD001 (05-15-2016)
Old 05-14-2016, 03:51 PM   #10
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
power to balls ratio. if you don't have the balls to push the car then all that power wouldn't matter
Old 05-14-2016, 06:50 PM   #11
themadscientist
Hotlink Terrorist

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ Spec S
Thanked 2,624 Times in 1,196 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Power to weight is that ish. The lack of grip to contend with the power delivery separates the men from the boys and the women from the girls as it may be. It's easy to drive fast in a car that has phenomenal grip, but what's the fun in that? Being able to pedal a car that is constantly trying to wiggle out from under you is a rush and doing so successfully brings a feeling of accomplishment akin to actually giving a woman a legit orgasm, not that one she fakes so you won't feel bad; we will call that sexual traction control.

These cars have ridiculous grip, more than I am used to and, strangely, is starting to bore me. It's TOO good. I know I'm not this good, my car is just so good I look good. At first that was fun, but now I'm starting to feel like a Justin Beiber driver, fake and all show hoping a real driver doesn't think I'm actually as good as the car makes me look.

I'm not going to go to another more unforgiving car just to get that back, I like this car for more reasons than the handling, but I definitely have the traction control off and wind the shit out of that poor little engine trying to make the car act silly.
The #1 most beneficial $$ you can spend on this car to go faster is seat time.
Quit trying to out think the engineers and just drive the car.
themadscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to themadscientist For This Useful Post:
JD001 (05-15-2016), NLSP (05-14-2016)
Old 05-14-2016, 08:05 PM   #12
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by themadscientist View Post
Power to weight is that ish. The lack of grip to contend with the power delivery separates the men from the boys and the women from the girls as it may be. It's easy to drive fast in a car that has phenomenal grip, but what's the fun in that? Being able to pedal a car that is constantly trying to wiggle out from under you is a rush and doing so successfully brings a feeling of accomplishment akin to actually giving a woman a legit orgasm, not that one she fakes so you won't feel bad; we will call that sexual traction control.

These cars have ridiculous grip, more than I am used to and, strangely, is starting to bore me. It's TOO good. I know I'm not this good, my car is just so good I look good. At first that was fun, but now I'm starting to feel like a Justin Beiber driver, fake and all show hoping a real driver doesn't think I'm actually as good as the car makes me look.

I'm not going to go to another more unforgiving car just to get that back, I like this car for more reasons than the handling, but I definitely have the traction control off and wind the shit out of that poor little engine trying to make the car act silly.
Dori Dori seems to agree with you here (GC8 WRX STI Version III vs. Version V):

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwuZWcQDwts"]Pursuing the Ultimate Balance of the Impreza - Best Motoring International - YouTube[/ame]
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 08:48 PM   #13
themadscientist
Hotlink Terrorist

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ Spec S
Thanked 2,624 Times in 1,196 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
"Car is too smart for the driver." He nailed it exactly. My Nissan buddies can't understand why I hate the R35. The technology is amazing and it produces the numbers and for the guys just after going fast it will do that, but I can't shake the feeling that the driver is relinquishing too much control to do that. I want the car to be a tool, not a system. Again, that's my desire, not a suggestion that my way is in any way superior to the other.

My R32 GT-R has computer controlled AWD, but it's very crude, only a front/rear G sensor and you can really feel the car struggling to sort out the power distribution. It's a wild ride and you are really in the moment. That car isn't necessarily trying to kill me like, say, a Dodge Viper, but while it is helping me it's expecting me to do my part. That symbiosis, that feeling of the team working together is hard to explain to anyone who hasn't driven a car to the edge and survived knowing that they were at least 51% part of that success.

I have seen several descriptions of the different philosophies of Mitsubishi and Subaru for their respective AWD systems. Mitsubishi seems to go the route of computer support to the point of taking greater control away from the driver where it seems Subaru is trying to perfect the mechanisms to support the driver. Tsuchiya-san mentioned something similar at the end of the video. There's no doubt both systems work well; it's just a question of what the driver prefers.

Now, to the BRZ. One of the reasons I bought the car is because every control was physically located exactly where I would have put it if I had built the car. I clicked with the car 1000 feet into the first test drive and immediately felt a connection to it and an instinct about its mannerisms. I was also blown away by how the car handled. I've never driven a car so sorted. I understand that this is an entry level car and that to someone who has driven real high dollar heavily engineered top rank sports cars it's like a cheese sandwich, but the best you know is the best you've driven and coming from old Skylines and RX7s this was an eye opener.

Now, the car has rekindled my love of the act of driving. I wasn't a fantastic driver and I'm probably remembering my glory days too favorably, but I recall I had pretty decent skills and could put a car exactly where I wanted it. That was, damn, twenty years ago. I'm rusty, I'm older, my reflexes and concentration are probably a bit blunted, but I seems to be making a comeback. This car was a great way to ease back into it. I never use traction control, but the way this car handles, the sticky tires, it's sort of like training wheels. I'm starting to see those wheels that helped me find my balance becoming an irritant as they drag along the road when I try to get edgy.

I don't want to mess with the engine. I don't like this engine and I don't want to spend money on it. Another reason I bought the car is so I would have a new car with a factory warranty. My Nissans need all my attention. It's nice to be able to toss the keys at the Subaru mechs and say "fix that." Maybe I could put skinny tires on it to eliminate the grip so the stock engine could kick it around easier. It would seem counter intuitive, but the big sticky Advans are inducing body roll where the stock tires might not have. I recall the rental I drove was still a cornering monster even with the Prius tires, but I likely wasn't pushing the rental like I push the car I own. I should experiment with the stock tires and see if the car gets a bit more teenage rebellious.
The #1 most beneficial $$ you can spend on this car to go faster is seat time.
Quit trying to out think the engineers and just drive the car.

Last edited by themadscientist; 05-15-2016 at 05:14 AM.
themadscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to themadscientist For This Useful Post:
Hoahao (05-15-2016), JD001 (05-15-2016), krayzie (05-15-2016), new2subaru (05-14-2016), NLSP (05-14-2016)
Old 05-15-2016, 01:02 PM   #14
JD001

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadscientist View Post
"Car is too smart for the driver." He nailed it exactly. My Nissan buddies can't understand why I hate the R35. The technology is amazing and it produces the numbers and for the guys just after going fast it will do that, but I can't shake the feeling that the driver is relinquishing too much control to do that. I want the car to be a tool, not a system. Again, that's my desire, not a suggestion that my way is in any way superior to the other.

My R32 GT-R has computer controlled AWD, but it's very crude, only a front/rear G sensor and you can really feel the car struggling to sort out the power distribution. It's a wild ride and you are really in the moment. That car isn't necessarily trying to kill me like, say, a Dodge Viper, but while it is helping me it's expecting me to do my part. That symbiosis, that feeling of the team working together is hard to explain to anyone who hasn't driven a car to the edge and survived knowing that they were at least 51% part of that success.

I have seen several descriptions of the different philosophies of Mitsubishi and Subaru for their respective AWD systems. Mitsubishi seems to go the route of computer support to the point of taking greater control away from the driver where it seems Subaru is trying to perfect the mechanisms to support the driver. Tsuchiya-san mentioned something similar at the end of the video. There's no doubt both systems work well; it's just a question of what the driver prefers.

Now, to the BRZ. One of the reasons I bought the car is because every control was physically located exactly where I would have put it if I had built the car. I clicked with the car 1000 feet into the first test drive and immediately felt a connection to it and an instinct about its mannerisms. I was also blown away by how the car handled. I've never driven a car so sorted. I understand that this is an entry level car and that to someone who has driven real high dollar heavily engineered top rank sports cars it's like a cheese sandwich, but the best you know is the best you've driven and coming from old Skylines and RX7s this was an eye opener.

Now, the car has rekindled my love of the act of driving. I wasn't a fantastic driver and I'm probably remembering my glory days too favorably, but I recall I had pretty decent skills and could put a car exactly where I wanted it. That was, damn, twenty years ago. I'm rusty, I'm older, my reflexes and concentration are probably a bit blunted, but I seems to be making a comeback. This car was a great way to ease back into it. I never use traction control, but the way this car handles, the sticky tires, it's sort of like training wheels. I'm starting to see those wheels that helped me find my balance becoming an irritant as they drag along the road when I try to get edgy.

I don't want to mess with the engine. I don't like this engine and I don't want to spend money on it. Another reason I bought the car is so I would have a new car with a factory warranty. My Nissans need all my attention. It's nice to be able to toss the keys at the Subaru mechs and say "fix that." Maybe I could put skinny tires on it to eliminate the grip so the stock engine could kick it around easier. It would seem counter intuitive, but the big sticky Advans are inducing body roll where the stock tires might not have. I recall the rental I drove was still a cornering monster even with the Prius tires, but I likely wasn't pushing the rental like I push the car I own. I should experiment with the stock tires and see if the car gets a bit more teenage rebellious.
Thanks for the write up, great to hear that you are enjoying your Twin. I knew that I will enjoy the car before I even stepped in to drive it. Now this is going to sound crazy but I hate visiting car showrooms and generally kicking tyres, all of my research is done through car mags so by the time I decide to visit a dealer I know what I am going to buy. Having said all that if the dealer is a **** I walk out.