follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 02-15-2014, 11:08 AM   #1
RedFR-s
Builder/Driver/Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT Turbo Firestorm
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
TD Insurance ON - Modified Cars

So apparently being honest gets you nowhere especially with insurance companies. I told them I had a Perring Exhaust on my car in the interest of full disclosure and they said they won't insure the vehicle with it on it as it is a performance enhancing part. I put the exhaust on for a better sound nothing more, its fully catted and has the resonator, I got it because it was a quieter one.
My problem is they are 1/3 the price of all other quotes I have and now that I've told them it's there odds are they will ask for an inspection before I can get insurance. I kept all of the stock parts so i can go back to stock but I don't want to stay that way forever. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts?
2013 Honda CBR 250 Repsol- Toy
2017 Toyota Tacoma - The Rig
RedFR-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:48 PM   #2
z3ro
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Easy, don't say anything
z3ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:08 PM   #3
BlueDubbinTDI

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2012 MCS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Yeah you should be covered either way. I got in 2 accidents that were my fault 8 years ago in my RSX when I was just starting out driving and we didn't get a peep out of the insurance company for it. I think if your mods were destroyed you be SOL in an accident, but that goes without saying. I'm sure if you needed to make a claim you'd be fine.
BlueDubbinTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:42 PM   #4
YangerD

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
All of the insurance companies in Ontario are bitches when it comes to modified cars. Should have stayed quiet. Let us know what happens for you.
YangerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:19 PM   #5
Canehda
poverty cause racecar

Drives: Subaru BRZ JRSC'd
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I've told this technique to many people that are looking to get insurance companies to insure their right hand drive cars. In ontario, an insurance company MUST insure you no matter what. So you basically have to exploit this. Simply asking if an insurance company will insure a modified car isn't enough.
So here is what you do;
Call a broker or an insurance company and give them all the information they ask. Give them VIN numbers, car information, personal information, etc… Keep going and get your quote (still haven't told them the car is modified). Once they give you a quote, ask the person on the phone whether company * has filed a written rule against modified cars. At this point they are obliged to tell the truth, and all i'll say is that from my experience, every company i've dealt with doesn't have this filed rule.

However, what I do is straight up not tell them. Why? If your car gets totalled or there is damage, the insurance will assume the car has only oem parts. Unless you've invested a s**t ton of money into the car (i.e rocket bunny + turbo + 5k rims) its really not worth it to pay higher insurance rates and you should just suck up the loss if it gets into an accident *Knocks on wood*

Hope this helps
Canehda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canehda For This Useful Post:
daiheadjai (02-19-2014), Migero86 (02-16-2014)
Old 02-15-2014, 07:24 PM   #6
Deadspool
Much title. Wow.

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport-Tech
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
TD cancelled my insurance cause I had aftermarket rims on a beater I had bought that came with them. they were even the same stock size, just American Racing, and ugly.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:47 PM   #7
Canehda
poverty cause racecar

Drives: Subaru BRZ JRSC'd
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadspool View Post
TD cancelled my insurance cause I had aftermarket rims on a beater I had bought that came with them. they were even the same stock size, just American Racing, and ugly.
Insurance companies have their "target consumer" and will try as hard as possible to make sure their only clientele are "ideal"…
Canehda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:41 PM   #8
automatic

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I dont think the phone representatives at TD know very much about the insurance business, at least the ones that bind and issue your insurance policy.

It seems like they are simply just trained in the product and basic insurance rules. So if you ask them if your exhaust or air filter is inadmissable for insurance, they will simply say no based on the blanket statement of no performance enhancing mods or something similar.

I find that actual insurance brokers/agents will give you a much more honest opinion...well, at least in my opinion the more experienced agents will give you a more honest opinion, the less experienced will just read off a page. But this still doesnt guarantee they'll use this information against you.
automatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:18 PM   #9
drewbot
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S A/T
Thanked 1,452 Times in 752 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadspool View Post
How'd they find out?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
drewbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:47 PM   #10
Deadspool
Much title. Wow.

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport-Tech
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Honesty.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:18 AM   #11
Mallow

Drives: 2014 Whiteout FRS
I have work for the claims department at USAA and they are also my insurance carrier, they will cover my aftermarket parts as long as I have receipts... I guess it all depends on company policy, but in that case I would go do some insurance shopping...
Mallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:35 AM   #12
Kazuya

Drives: Takumi
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallow View Post
I have work for the claims department at USAA and they are also my insurance carrier, they will cover my aftermarket parts as long as I have receipts... I guess it all depends on company policy, but in that case I would go do some insurance shopping...
Canadian well Ontario motorist laws are a lot stricter than the states.

It is federal government run and ruled so the answer would always be no to modifications. They create an illusion of options from different companies but they are all govern by the same body(government).
Kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:29 PM   #13
YangerD

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazuya View Post
Canadian well Ontario motorist laws are a lot stricter than the states.

It is federal government run and ruled so the answer would always be no to modifications. They create an illusion of options from different companies but they are all govern by the same body(government).
Our insurance in Ontario is NOT government run. TD, RBC, Belair Direct, Statefarm etc are all PRIVATE companies.
YangerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:50 PM   #14
Kazuya

Drives: Takumi
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YangerD View Post
Our insurance in Ontario is NOT government run. TD, RBC, Belair Direct, Statefarm etc are all PRIVATE companies.

Thats what they want you to think lul
Kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote