follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 07-13-2015, 11:15 AM   #1
Meatstreak

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Water Behind Dash from Tinting

The title pretty much sums it up. I went and got paint protection and window tinting on my new 2015 BRZ. The crack head doing my tinting must have stuck a garden hose in my car because the floor was soaked and when I pulled away water dribbled down onto my feet.

Then I noticed the check engine light was on... The guy was gone for the day so I couldn't turn around and ask him. I called and left a terse message to call me back.

I didn't really notice it driving differently. I HAD to drive it to get home but I parked it in the sun and cracked the windows to let it dry out. In the morning the check engine light was off but still had me a little pissed.

So my question is if this could have caused any permanent damage or if I should be looking out for anything. I'm a little paranoid because I'm still in the honeymoon phase of a new car but I still wanted to check.
Meatstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:59 AM   #2
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
If it has dried out and there are no issues than the chance of permanent damage is remote. Electrical issues that are caused by water are generally sudden and severe.
My old converts used to get soaked on a regular basis and I never had a problem (other than with 8 track players but somehow I doubt that will be an issue for you).
Old 07-13-2015, 03:15 PM   #3
Meatstreak

Thanks for replying. You put my mind at ease. I'v been really frustrated with this tinting guy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Meatstreak For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-13-2015)
Old 07-13-2015, 03:29 PM   #4
jawn

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,757 Posts
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatstreak View Post
The title pretty much sums it up. I went and got paint protection and window tinting on my new 2015 BRZ. The crack head doing my tinting must have stuck a garden hose in my car because the floor was soaked and when I pulled away water dribbled down onto my feet.
What the hell?! I can't think of a context in which that much water is remotely necessary for paint protection or window tint. You basically don't need water for window tinting, and paint protection should use about as much water as it takes to wash a car.
jawn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jawn For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-13-2015)
Old 07-13-2015, 03:42 PM   #5
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawn View Post
What the hell?! I can't think of a context in which that much water is remotely necessary for paint protection or window tint. You basically don't need water for window tinting, and paint protection should use about as much water as it takes to wash a car.
Ya it would certainly seem excessive since all they had to do was clean the windows really well. I long ago stopped trying to figure out why people do the weird shit they do though.
Koa (07-13-2015)
Old 07-13-2015, 03:48 PM   #6
jawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Ya it would certainly seem excessive since all they had to do was clean the windows really well. I long ago stopped trying to figure out why people do the weird shit they do though.

Maybe it's project mayhem?
Tcoat (07-13-2015)
Old 07-13-2015, 04:07 PM   #7
BlueSky

Drives: 2015 Aozora BRZ
Garage
Have you guys ever seen tint being installed?
you have to clean the window prior really well (obviously)
but you also need to keep it wet to place it.
When I used to install tint I would sometimes pull the door skins off just so I could keep the water out as much as I could
now if the carpet is dripping, that's ridiculous, but yes a good amount of water will be used...and I would go with @Tcoat said, it would be noticeable if anything was damaged
BlueSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 04:45 PM   #8
Meatstreak

I don't know man. He wasn't done when I went to pick it up and he said he was having trouble cooling the window down enough to put the tint on so he was trying to cool it off with water. I get that... but I gave him an entire day to do two windows (which he was redoing because there was bubbles). Just comes down to poor planning and time management which really gets under my skin because I went out of my way to give him enough time.

Now that I'm inspecting things more I noticed there are some water spots under the the (Automatic) Gear display next to the shifter. Is it easy to pop that clear plastic part off to wipe the inside of it out? It's a little OCD but it bugs me knowing he did it.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:02 PM   #9
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I partially saw the guy doing my tint and what he did was clean the window with a spray bottle and wipe it down. probably had some chemicals in it. he also used pre-cut pieces of tint and drenched them with his solution and stuck them on a mirror on the wall, and drenched them more and test fit them on the window. that's basically all I saw before I left lol so I guess there's different techniques to doing tint? my dude was doing some bong hits while doing my tint but did a good job so I don't really care lol. definitely don't go back to your guy. I would raise some hell if my car's carpet was drenched in water since it seems excessive.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:12 PM   #10
Meatstreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoma View Post
my dude was doing some bong hits while doing my tint but did a good job so I don't really care lol.
THIS right here! No offense to legit professional tinters and/or people that use recreational drugs but those two should be kept separate. I picked this guy because he seemed the LEAST shady out of all the ones I scoped out. I guess I just got him on a clean day or something. Every tint place I have ever seen always seems like a front for some shady side business...
The Following User Says Thank You to Meatstreak For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-13-2015)
Old 07-13-2015, 05:21 PM   #11
jawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
Have you guys ever seen tint being installed?
you have to clean the window prior really well (obviously)
but you also need to keep it wet to place it.
When I used to install tint I would sometimes pull the door skins off just so I could keep the water out as much as I could
now if the carpet is dripping, that's ridiculous, but yes a good amount of water will be used...and I would go with @Tcoat said, it would be noticeable if anything was damaged
Yes, I have seen tint installed, and you keep things damp with a spray bottle, not a hose.
Tcoat (07-13-2015)
Old 07-14-2015, 09:30 AM   #12
BlueSky

Drives: 2015 Aozora BRZ
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawn View Post
Yes, I have seen tint installed, and you keep things damp with a spray bottle, not a hose.
Like I said, since it was dripping that's ridiculous....but don't get me wrong a good amount of water is used. we're not talking about a dollar store spray bottle? its a heavy duty sprayer that can get things wet really quick if your not careful
BlueSky is offline   Reply With Quote