follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-26-2016, 04:34 PM   #57
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,168 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_86 View Post
Can you explain what you mean?
It's just his opinion. Lots of people (me included) like the UEL sound. I've had my header for over a year and I still love it.

Edit/PS: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Houston86Club

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnEYvkiW5k0"]BRZ w/ JDL UEL & Perrin resonated drive by - YouTube[/ame]
kch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:01 PM   #58
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatScan View Post
Disclaimer: I'm no expert!

No worries. The ECU will figure it out and adjust to the minor difference. You can either flash the 91 tune or just take it easy until you can put the good stuff in. I run the 91 octane tune, and when I screw up my fuel planning and have to put local 87 in, runs just fine. I just don't beat on it until I can run the 87 out. I watch the numbers on the OFT, and the ECU does it's job dealing with the "bad" gas.

Do not, though, run gas on the E85 tune or the other way around. Running rich is OK, but lean will be a bad thing.

You might find that with what you have, just the OFT will be all you need to get what you want. E85 is just a James May "fizz".

Added: No, I'm not advocating running 87 octane because the car runs fine.

Congrats on the car, too. It's a little rough diamond. The better you get at driving it, the more you find it can do.

DO NOT RUN 87 with the 91 OCTANE TUNE or 93 OCTANE tune, the fuel trims go whack with the tune, it's not as lenient as the stock tune. Once IAMs drop to 0 which they will your putting the bottom end of the engine under extreme stress. Repeatedly doing this will put the car at risk.

Quote:
What if I get UEL headers and run the OFT Stage 2 UEL 93 Octane tune? Of course I would always use 93 when I can, but in emergency situations if 93 isnt available, would it be bad to run non 93 with that tune on if I had too?
OFT is easy it takes 5 minutes to flash back to 91 or the stock tune, you should run 91 or 93 depending on what tune you run. You won't really run into a station without 91 in texas. Run 93 as much as possible

Quote:
Runs just fine on 91, too. 87 as well, if you have to.
This is a fallacy once again only run 87 as the last resort if 91 or 93 is not available, once again the engine cannot correct for knock below 91

Quote:
ok I agree just get the headers, the borla axleback the car came with sounds good already.
Quote:
plenty in Houston, and Texas from what I have seen so far.
Quote:
I feel like this install after looking at some videos isnt too terribly difficult, would you recommend the overpipe and all the extras? or just the headers, then stock pipes all the way to the axle back system already on the car from the dealer?

also, been looking around, cant really find a place to buy these online....

Only get the header and OFT you can buy the gruppe s here:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81839
Just pm the original poster @Gruppe-s

For the OFT you purchase it on the openflash site:

http://www.openflashtablet.com/shop/oft-frs-brz-gt86/

All you do is flash the OFH tune from there website when you get it, run 93 only, if you come to an area with only 91 flash to the 91 octane stage 2 tune. It's that simple

Also to the person speaking about UELs getting old fast, it's just his sound preference honestly, the difference in UEL vs EL is top end power and it's minimal at that in a street application like yours
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Ryan_86 (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 05:08 PM   #59
CatScan

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sigh. I never said run 87 all the time. Do you honestly believe that less than optimal crap like 87 octane gas was never planned for when they designed the thing?

Please post factual information that a tank of 87 octane to get you home will destroy an FA20.

Odd, not once have I had my IAM "drop to 0 which they will" when running an limp-home tank of 87 or what was supposedly gasoline from an East Overshoe Idaho 91 octane pump.
CatScan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:15 PM   #60
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Sigh. I never said run 87 all the time. Do you honestly believe that crap 87 octane gas was never planned for when they designed the thing?

Please post factual information that a tank of 87 octane to get you home will destroy an FA20.

Odd, not once have I had my IAM "drop to 0 which they will" when running an limp-home tank of 87.

Post datalogs showing that, I'm not turning this into one of those stupid debates, 87 octane will not run at all well if you do it with an Openflash tune as you suggested ask @steve99 , @Wayno, @Shiv@Openflash, those are people that know this engine much better than you do. Also I didn't say you did but you adamantly post all over this forum that you "limp home" quite a bit
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
Old 04-26-2016, 05:25 PM   #61
CatScan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
Also I didn't say you did but you adamantly post all over this forum that you "limp home" quite a bit
I'll eat crow when you post hard facts that 87 will drop the bottom end out of your car. Not that anal to keep a log all the time, sorry. Watching the numbers if I'm concerned is enough, as is the warning. I also have the mystical ability to not drive like a dumbass when burning garbage. Emptied of E85, stuck with 87, 91 octane tune. No 0 on IAM. Am I doing it wrong? Proving "always" or "never" is on you. I freely admit to gooning up my fuel planning, especially when using E85.

Added: 87 octane is almost a troll post.

Last edited by CatScan; 04-26-2016 at 05:36 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:33 PM   #62
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
I'll eat crow when you post hard facts that 87 will drop the bottom end out of your car. Not that anal to keep a log all the time, sorry. Watching the numbers if I'm concerned is enough, as is the warning. Emptied of E85, stuck with 87 to get to 91 150 miles away, 91 octane tune. No 0 on IAM. Am I doing it wrong? Proving "always" or "never" is on you.

Added: 87 octane is almost a troll post.

I never said it'll drop the bottom end out I said repeatedly doing it puts unnecessary wear on it. Next time I'm in the car I'm not going to put 87 in my car and datalog maybe you should because you like using it so much. You have a penchant for making false claims about fuels I'm done here.

Also I should mention there have been 91 octane fuels that drop the IAM as well......
Old 04-26-2016, 05:40 PM   #63
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
You won't really run into a station without 91 in texas.
Texas is too big a state to be able to say that. If you go up into the High Plains, you can find yourself out of gas in shitty little towns with nothing but an Alon station with 89 as the highest grade. The 89 will behave slightly better up there at that altitude, but they're really not high up enough to justify running the lower octane. If you come down from there with that stuff in your tank your performance will really turn to crap.

Also, not all 91 is created equal. Sunoco has apparently bought out all the Chevron stations between Odessa/Midland and the Rio Grande Valley, pulled the 93 and replaced it with Sunoco 91, which is mostly pig urine. Based on how it performs, I refuse to believe their 91 is any better than 89 at a good station. I have run 91 before with little effect, but that Sunoco crap made the car sluggish as hell.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 05:44 PM   #64
CatScan

Quote:
I never said it'll drop the bottom end out I said repeatedly doing it puts unnecessary wear on it. Next time I'm in the car I'm not going to put 87 in my car and datalog maybe you should because you like using it so much. You have a penchant for making false claims about fuels I'm done here.

Also I should mention there have been 91 octane fuels that drop the IAM as well......
I never said 91/93 or E85 won't drop IAM. IAM is a variable depending on a number of conditions, I assume you know what that means.

Accepted. I shall run a tank of my local goat piss and log every trip. Is English a problem for you? I don't like "using it so much".

Where is your hard proof regarding sub 91 octane being beyond the ECU's ability to deal with regardless of software tune?
Old 04-26-2016, 05:49 PM   #65
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
I never said 91/93 or E85 won't drop IAM. IAM is a variable depending on a number of conditions, I assume you know what that means.

Accepted. I shall run a tank of my local goat piss and log every trip.

Where is your hard proof regarding sub 91 octane being beyond the ECU's ability to deal with regardless of software tune?

It is has happened several times to people, someone will post a datalog here. I'm not getting into a debate of whether or not its good to run 87 you run your piss water.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:50 PM   #66
Wayno

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Oft 91 will run fine on 87.
Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wayno For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 05:53 PM   #67
CatScan

Quote:
It is has happened several times to people, someone will post a datalog here. I'm not getting into a debate of whether or not its good to run 87 you run your piss water.
Why so angry? I have run 87 octane (against my will) in my car and have never seen 0 on IAM on my OFT.

You are the one who is adamant that 87 octane will always drive IAM to zero and result in damage.

Post proof. No anger involved.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:00 PM   #68
CatScan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno View Post
Oft 91 will run fine on 87.
US and Australia use different rating methods, I'm sure you knew that FRSBRZGT86FAN. Or are you saying I'm correct?
Old 04-26-2016, 06:10 PM   #69
CatScan

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
Texas is too big a state to be able to say that. If you go up into the High Plains, you can find yourself out of gas in shitty little towns with nothing but an Alon station with 89 as the highest grade. The 89 will behave slightly better up there at that altitude, but they're really not high up enough to justify running the lower octane. If you come down from there with that stuff in your tank your performance will really turn to crap.

Also, not all 91 is created equal. Sunoco has apparently bought out all the Chevron stations between Odessa/Midland and the Rio Grande Valley, pulled the 93 and replaced it with Sunoco 91, which is mostly pig urine. Based on how it performs, I refuse to believe their 91 is any better than 89 at a good station. I have run 91 before with little effect, but that Sunoco crap made the car sluggish as hell.
How odd that FRSBRZGT86FAN is liking these posts showing that the car will indeed run on less than optimal gas and not ass-plode yet pisses on me. Do not go to a real mountain state, FRSBRZGT86FAN, for you will surely die. Can you say "variable" which the ECU can handle within reason, assuming the person behind the wheel is not a dumbass?

OP, this always happens here. Drive YOUR car to the best of YOUR ability, mod it to YOUR hearts content. YOUR happiness is all that matters. Some of these clowns are just wrong, but whatever.

Added: EL is the way to go, don't be a stereotype tard.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK1hgwwSiGQ"]FR-S + JDL EL catted + Nameless + Perrin catback: Drive-Bys - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by CatScan; 04-26-2016 at 06:51 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:50 PM   #70
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
How odd that FRSBRZGT86FAN is liking these posts showing that the car will indeed run on less than optimal gas and not ass-plode yet pisses on me. Do not go to a real mountain state, FRSBRZGT86FAN, for you will surely die. Can you say "variable" which the ECU can handle within reason, assuming the person behind the wheel is not a dumbass?

OP, this always happens here. Drive YOUR car to the best of YOUR ability, mod it to YOUR hearts content. YOUR happiness is all that matters. Some of these clowns are just wrong, but whatever.

Added: EL is the way to go, don't be a sterotype tard.
Someones angry.....

Tags
car, cats, frs, mods, scion, women