follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 03-04-2013, 09:51 PM   #71
Fresh86

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Damn that looks good!
Fresh86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fresh86 For This Useful Post:
Beyer Subaru (03-05-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 10:02 PM   #72
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I like lips and subwoofer.
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zc06_kisstherain For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2013, 10:36 PM   #73
TheCzar

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (Hot Lava)
Do you have any specific info on the subs? They look pretty cool but really tiny for subs, i was considering getting one in the trunk, but this might be a nice alternative. Some dimensions would be awesome, do they need an amp, and will they be available for both the driver and passenger sides?

Thanks
TheCzar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheCzar For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2013, 11:00 PM   #74
Lateapex

Drives: WRB BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyer Subaru View Post
Thanks for elaborating. I guess I am kinda off in my description. I'll elaborate my description a little better.

A strut bar is designed to reduce the strut tower flex by tying two parallel strut towers together. This transmits the load of each strut tower during cornering which ties the two towers together and reduces chassis flex.

So this bar will reduce the chassis flex but not to the point of a normal, more rigid bar.
Agree with fatoni, the whole point of a strut tower bar is to reduce flex as much as possible, so the suspension can absorb loads rather than the body of the car. Given we are talking about tiny amounts of movement even during loads far above normal everyday driving, there would be an imperceptable effect on the ride for the vast majority of the time, certainly far less impact than fitting coilovers, wider/bigger tyres or upgraded suspension bushes.

So a strut tower bar that isnt absolutely rigid and purposely doesnt remove this flex is pointless.

Last edited by Lateapex; 03-05-2013 at 12:29 AM.
Lateapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:50 AM   #75
Jay Jr

Drives: 04/2013 BRZ-L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyer Subaru View Post
We don't have a release date as of yet. So I'm assuming the second quarter of this year at the earliest.
My question is: will these parts be post sale accessories only or do you see them being available as factory add-on's once released?
Jay Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:51 AM   #76
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
a strut tower bar does not change the stiffness of the ride in any predictable capacity. car manufacturers try to make all cars from performance to luxury as stiff as possible. my guess is that its a bullshit product and since sti is providing zero data on this product, its not very difficult to doubt this claim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateapex View Post
Agree with fatoni, the whole point of a strut tower bar is to reduce flex as much as possible, so the suspension can absorb loads rather than the body of the car. Given we are talking about tiny amounts of movement even during loads far above normal everyday driving, there would be an imperceptable effect on the ride for the vast majority of the time, certainly far less impact than fitting coilovers, wider/bigger tyres or upgraded suspension bushes.

So a strut tower bar that isnt absolutely rigid and purposely doesnt remove this flex is pointless.
I beg to differ. The tower bar reduces flex and limits movement of the struts in the lateral direction (along the left-to-right axis of the chassis) but offers no chassis or strut rigidity in the lengthwise direction. Front-to-back rigidity at this part of the chassis is mostly unnecessary anyway as there are two thick crash beams along either side of the engine bay. Plus the "V" bar going into the firewall adds rigidity in the length axis plus width axis. Because the STI bar does not add strut rigidity in the lengthwise direction, it aids in comfort by not transmitting resulting vibrations to the chassis. Increased comfort compared to a traditional solid bar is another intended design result.

Basically, this design stiffens the chassis along the axis that matters (left-right), not in the axis that doesn't (and improves comfort as a result).

I'm trying to look at this just with my basic understanding of forces from freshman physics. Someone who has studied Statics (any mechanical engineer) would be better at analyzing. @ZDan or @Shankenstein, would you have any input on the effectiveness of the STI strut tower bar with a ball joint in the middle?

Last edited by switchlanez; 03-05-2013 at 04:02 AM.
switchlanez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to switchlanez For This Useful Post:
Beyer Subaru (03-05-2013), chaoskaze (03-05-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 04:23 AM   #77
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
I beg to differ. The tower bar reduces flex and limits movement of the struts in the lateral direction (along the left-to-right axis of the chassis) but offers no chassis or strut rigidity in the lengthwise direction. Front-to-back rigidity at this part of the chassis is mostly unnecessary anyway as there are two thick crash beams along either side of the engine bay. Plus the "V" bar going into the firewall adds rigidity in the length axis plus width axis. Because the STI bar does not add strut rigidity in the lengthwise direction, it aids in comfort by not transmitting resulting vibrations to the chassis. Increased comfort compared to a traditional solid bar is another intended design result.

Basically, this design stiffens the chassis along the axis that matters (left-right), not in the axis that doesn't (and improves comfort as a result).

I'm trying to look at this just with my basic understanding of forces from freshman physics. Someone who has studied Statics (any mechanical engineer) would be better at analyzing. @ZDan or @Shankenstein, would you have any input on the effectiveness of the STI strut tower bar with a ball joint in the middle?

i feel like any force that would load left to right would also load sup to inf. that would just bend the strut bar. granted we are talking maybe a couple degrees max. then again, im in the camp that strut bars are all but useless in modern cars.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:20 AM   #78
fjcruiser

Drives: FJ Cruiser 2008
I like the front spoiler under protection kit. I wonder if it will be available for those living in the U.A.E
fjcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:53 AM   #79
Beyer Subaru

Drives: 2013 BRZ SWP 6AT Ltd
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Jr View Post
My question is: will these parts be post sale accessories only or do you see them being available as factory add-on's once released?
Yes, these Accessories will be available in Japan at time of order, at time of delivery and after vehicle has been sold.

It is highly unlikely that the rest of the world will receive all or any of these Accessories.
Beyer Subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:03 AM   #80
Alabang 86

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
this forum rocks!
Alabang 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alabang 86 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #81
Beyer Subaru

Drives: 2013 BRZ SWP 6AT Ltd
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zc06_kisstherain View Post
I like lips and subwoofer.
You and me both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCzar View Post
Do you have any specific info on the subs? They look pretty cool but really tiny for subs, i was considering getting one in the trunk, but this might be a nice alternative. Some dimensions would be awesome, do they need an amp, and will they be available for both the driver and passenger sides?

Thanks
I have updated the first page with more up to date info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjcruiser View Post
I like the front spoiler under protection kit. I wonder if it will be available for those living in the U.A.E
If we can get it here in the states through J-parts, I don't see why you couldn't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabang 86 View Post
this forum rocks!
Yes, yes it does!
Beyer Subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beyer Subaru For This Useful Post:
TheCzar (03-05-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 10:45 AM   #82
Shankenstein
Frosty Carrot

Drives: The Atomic Carrot
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post

I'll use this discussion as a source: LINK

Strut bars have 2 purposes:
1) Stiffen the tower to tower lateral movement (tower to tower bar)
2) Couple strut flex to a neutral chassis position (tower to firewall bars)

Many people discuss suspension as being a parallelogram. While it's not completely true, it provides a useful illustration.

Point 1 makes the top line in the parallelogram more rigid. In most cars, the other 3 lines are already very stiff. This turns your trapezoid into a parallelogram (a good thing).

Point 2 makes the angles at each corner of the parallelogram more rigid.

During compression, the strut towers want to bend inward. A strut bar is put into compression and resists this quite well.

During cornering, one strut tower wants to move inward heavily, while the other moves outward slightly. A strut bar is put into tension and transmits the deflection from the outside strut to the inside strut. Since the inside tire's camber is less relevant to maximum grip, you sacrifice some deflection to improve the situation on the outside tire.

All this is dependent on the struts flexing. Modern chassis design is rather rigid, so it's not as important as in an 80s Civic or my RAV4 (an SUV version of the Corolla).

When installed my strut brace (1.5" square tubing w 1/4" plate on each tower), the handling limits did not really improve... but the consistency of when the tire broke loose was much better. Strut flex begets more camber and grip, and in many cases is not a bad thing. I value the stability and consistency more than ultimate grip. Go kart vs. muscle car, if you will.

Point 2 is irrelevant if you consider the front and rear suspension as independent parallelograms. They aren't... so preventing either from differing too much from the unstressed geometry is important. Also, triangles are stronger than parallelograms, so tying into the firewall (however flimsy it may be) is still good for structural rigidity of all parts involved.

Modern cars make strut braces less relevant, but if you want to install a strain gage on your cusco bar... go for it. You'll see some forces, but the system is already quite stiff, so it won't cause much deflection in geometry (especially compared to bushings).

@switchlanez , a strut bar that can twist freely does add a degree of freedom to the bar (in a direction that we are OK with flexing)... but I don't see that being useful or relevant. Maybe it helps keep welds from cracking, but I can't wrap my head around any serious reason.

edit: I'm copying this to my thead, since it's somewhat relevant.
Shankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shankenstein For This Useful Post:
switchlanez (03-05-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 11:28 AM   #83
theredtape

Drives: civic,vfr,BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetaVI View Post
Short shifter is a bit interesting.
.... my thoughts exactly... How much shorter could it really get?
Old 03-05-2013, 04:21 PM   #84
cabasse

Drives: '13 FR-S MT - ultramarine
Garage
those are 3" (77mm) drivers. they are not subwoofers, they're barely even woofers. (same size as the mids units in the dash)
cabasse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cabasse For This Useful Post:

Tags
brz forum, brz forums, subaru brz, subaru brz forum, subaru brz forums