follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-10-2015, 04:24 PM   #1
letja01

Drives: Argento 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exhaust Narrowed Down, Need Personal Reviews

Hello all,

I'm hoping I can get some advice on a purchase I'm considering.

I can finally afford an exhaust upgrade, and after some browsing through the exhaust sticky and some Googling, I think I've narrowed my choice down to the HKS Hi Power Spec L or the Nameless Performance Axleback and High Flow Cat Package.

I love the look and the sound of the HKS, and the HP gain is acceptable (though not a big factor in my decision). I'm just not sure I can hear the exhaust note in its entirety through my laptop speakers. It sounds like it's got a very deep tone through low RPM.

I like the look of the Nameless and the dyno is pretty impressive -- as is the price. It seems like you're getting a lot for your dollar, but I can't be sure.

Can anyone share any experience on this? Or have any suggestions for other exhausts? Ideally I would go with the Powerhouse Amuse R1000... uhnnn... but, ballin' on a budget.

Very much appreciated.
letja01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:08 PM   #2
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Realistically there is negligible power gain installing a cat back or axle back.

It is all about the sound. That is unless you are widening the diameter for a future FI install.

Just sayin', since it appears you believe this is a significant power enhancement.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:23 PM   #3
Decay107
Turning is for Nerds

Drives: 35 characters is not enough
Thanked 1,259 Times in 717 Posts
Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
I had the HKS Spec-L and it was a great piece, good sound and super light weight.

However, if you plan on upgrading the header, it will sound like dogshit. There is a reason it's no longer on my car (specifically around 1:06)
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HWPxwkExps"]Nameless FR-S header, HKS mufflers - YouTube[/ame]
Decay107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:43 PM   #4
G-Man

Drives: 1980 corvette, 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I am also interested in this since the Spec L seems to have fallen out of favor. We have a local guy with a full nameless system and it is VERY loud. I liked the spec L until i heard Decay's video with the header, it seemed tame and light. I am looking at spec L vs perrin right now but not in a rush until i get the header and front pipe done.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:47 PM   #5
Decay107
Turning is for Nerds

Drives: 35 characters is not enough
Thanked 1,259 Times in 717 Posts
Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
I am also interested in this since the Spec L seems to have fallen out of favor. We have a local guy with a full nameless system and it is VERY loud. I liked the spec L until i heard Decay's video with the header, it seemed tame and light. I am looking at spec L vs perrin right now but not in a rush until i get the header and front pipe done.
Let me just say, the HKS as a standalone piece without other exhaust mods, sounds great. However, if you plan on upgrading other stuff the best choice for daily livability is a resonated Perrin. It seems to sound best with a fairly large variety of aftermarket headers.
Decay107 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Decay107 For This Useful Post:
G-Man (03-10-2015)
Old 03-10-2015, 06:50 PM   #6
letja01

Drives: Argento 2014 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
Realistically there is negligible power gain installing a cat back or axle back.

It is all about the sound. That is unless you are widening the diameter for a future FI install.

Just sayin', since it appears you believe this is a significant power enhancement.
Oh, no, I'm not too concerned about power with the exhaust. It just looked like more than I expected from the dyno. I'm in it for the sound.
letja01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 06:54 PM   #7
0.o

Drives: 86 GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decay107 View Post
Let me just say, the HKS as a standalone piece without other exhaust mods, sounds great. However, if you plan on upgrading other stuff the best choice for daily livability is a resonated Perrin. It seems to sound best with a fairly large variety of aftermarket headers.
Completely agree with Decay. I had the spec L also, without headers it was quiet and sounded beautiful on WOT. But once installed headers it sounded like crap. The exhaust was too light and since the flow from the headers has increased, it rattled like tin cans
0.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:32 PM   #8
andrew5826
Seņor Member

Drives: BRZ SWP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
you say 'finally afford' so i assume your on a low budget. if sound is all you want a muffler delete and removing the header cat will you cost you next to nothing and save you money for worthwhile mods like an map flash
andrew5826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:35 PM   #9
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decay107 View Post
I had the HKS Spec-L and it was a great piece, good sound and super light weight.

However, if you plan on upgrading the header, it will sound like dogshit. There is a reason it's no longer on my car (specifically around 1:06)
I love the quality and look of HKS stuff and it's no doubt they're a working legend in the tuner scene not only in hokkaido but internationally, but man I can't get over their and other japanese exhaust designers' sonic approach with these small displacement performance engines..
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:50 PM   #10
jonbonazza

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Garage
It should also be mentioned that the HKS unit is a full cat-back, while the Nameless unit is an axel-back. Not sure if that matters at all to you, but it should be noted.

Like mentioned before, there is no cat-back that will give you a power gain of anything over negligible. Doubly so for an axel-back. It really comes down to sound and looks, however there are two other factors that are often not considered and sometimes should be.

The canister style of the HKS unit will be much lighter than the center-mounted muffler style of nameless unit. Unfortunately, the canister style also produces more drag on the car because you have that gaping hole where the stock center-mount used to be that can trap airflow. I am honestly not sure which one of these is going to be more beneficial between these two units, and I am sure it depends on your use of the car.

If you add a diffuser that completely covers the hole in the rear, then that removes the second variable and the canister style becomes the obvious choice when concerned with performance.

Last edited by jonbonazza; 03-15-2015 at 10:07 PM.
jonbonazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:58 PM   #11
pcuerpo

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Send a message via ICQ to pcuerpo Send a message via Yahoo to pcuerpo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbonazza View Post
It should also be mentioned that the HKS unit is a full cat-back, while the Perrin unit is an axel-back. Not sure if that matters at all to you, but it should be noted.

Like mentioned before, there is no cat-back that will give you a power gain of anything over negligible. Doubly so for an axel-back. It really comes down to sound and looks, however there are two other factors that are often not considered and sometimes should be.

The canister style of the HKS unit will be much lighter than the center-mounted muffler style of nameless unit. Unfortunately, the canister style also produces more drag on the car because you have that gaping hole where the stock center-mount used to be that can trap airflow. I am honestly not sure which one of these is going to be more beneficial between these two units, and I am sure it depends on your use of the car.

If you add a diffuser that completely covers the hole in the rear, then that removes the second variable and the canister style becomes the obvious choice when concerned with performance.
i dont know about you but my Perrin is a catback (and i dont think they ever had axlebacks only for our cars)

IG: @pcuerpo.images
pcuerpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 10:07 PM   #12
jonbonazza

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcuerpo View Post
i dont know about you but my Perrin is a catback (and i dont think they ever had axlebacks only for our cars)
Oops. Meant to say Nameless, not Perrin. Fixed, thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
jonbonazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 10:15 PM   #13
donutfilling

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I personally like the HKS more. Both design and sound i preferred it more as I have heard both. The big con to HKS is that a lot of systems have been found to rust or crack. Not sure if they ever fixed that issue as that is why I did not buy it in the end.
donutfilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:26 AM   #14
givemeporknow

Drives: 2015 brz series.blue wr blue pearl
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have the HKS SpecL Titanium on my car and not only is it beautiful, it sounds amazing as well!