follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 05-04-2022, 03:14 PM   #1
rawpoly

Drives: 22 WRB BRZ M6
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Turn off active sound control at dealer

My 6 month service is coming up and wanted to see how I can turn off the fake speaker/active sound control via software.

I also read somewhere that there's options regarding volume of the ASC- can anyone confirm this? Also any idea how much the dealer may charge for this?
rawpoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 10:39 PM   #2
Stonehorsw

Drives: 18 Brz (Sold) / 22 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My dealer did turn off for free, took about 5 minutes for the job
Stonehorsw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stonehorsw For This Useful Post:
Xed32 (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 03:50 AM   #3
danson

Drives: 22 brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehorsw View Post
My dealer did turn off for free, took about 5 minutes for the job
are you sure they didnt just unplug it? that also takes less than 5 minutes.
danson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 07:02 AM   #4
Stonehorsw

Drives: 18 Brz (Sold) / 22 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by danson View Post
are you sure they didnt just unplug it? that also takes less than 5 minutes.
Yes, I saw him navigating through the software to find the way to turn off. It was the first time the dealer was doing that (December 2022, Michigan, not much BRZs here)
Stonehorsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 08:59 AM   #5
Desertnate
Spelling Impaired

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited WR Blue
I'll be doing the same thing at the 6-month visit with my car.

It can be deactivated via software. The Everyday Driver guys have a video about deactivating their GR86's noise maker at the dealership on their their YouTube channel. They show the service tech with a tablet plugged into the OBD port and after going through only a couple menus, it appears to be a simple setting toggle.

My dealership confirmed they can kill it on my BRZ as well. They didn't discuss price.
Desertnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 10:08 AM   #6
CincyJohn

Drives: 2022 MT Neptune GR86 Prem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post

It can be deactivated via software. The Everyday Driver guys have a video about deactivating their GR86's noise maker at the dealership on their their YouTube channel. They show the service tech with a tablet plugged into the OBD port and after going through only a couple menus, it appears to be a simple setting toggle.

My dealership confirmed they can kill it on my BRZ as well. They didn't discuss price.
Not sure why you would go this route, though. Unplugging it is literally a 5 minute (or less) job and then you can plug it back in anytime you want.

Maybe it's just me (as I feel this about a lot of things) - why have someone do for you something you can as easily do for yourself? FYI, I absolutely hate things like valet parking, doormen, people carrying your luggage, etc. - so as I said, it may just be a "me" thing.
CincyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 11:26 AM   #7
joemysterio

Drives: Mini
If you do it yourself, just wrap it in something soft and/or tie it down to minimize hearing it bang around. I had extra wire loom and wrapped the connector with it, then used velcro tie to hold it down.
joemysterio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 12:57 PM   #8
rawpoly

Drives: 22 WRB BRZ M6
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I prefer doing it in software vs me breaking something physically.
I am a klutz.
rawpoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 02:21 PM   #9
Desertnate
Spelling Impaired

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited WR Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyJohn View Post
Not sure why you would go this route, though. Unplugging it is literally a 5 minute (or less) job and then you can plug it back in anytime you want.

Maybe it's just me (as I feel this about a lot of things) - why have someone do for you something you can as easily do for yourself? FYI, I absolutely hate things like valet parking, doormen, people carrying your luggage, etc. - so as I said, it may just be a "me" thing.
I'll do things myself too. However, the car has to go in for service eventually anyway, so might as well have it done via software vs a physical disconnect.

If I could deactivate it my self in software like you can on a BMW with Bimmerlink, I would do it myself.

I unplugged my Mk6 GTI's noise maker myself by pulling the cable. It worked fine but over time I ran into a minor issue of hearing the disconnected cable and connecter rattling inside the car. I'd like to prevent that in this car. In both this car and the GTI, there doesn't seem to be a good way to secure the loose cable to prevent rattling in the future. I don't want to be constantly popping off the trim piece to secure a loose cable/connector.
Desertnate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Desertnate For This Useful Post:
Stonehorsw (05-07-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 03:06 PM   #10
joemysterio

Drives: Mini
Quote:
In both this car and the GTI, there doesn't seem to be a good way to secure the loose cable to prevent rattling in the future. I don't want to be constantly popping off the trim piece to secure a loose cable/connector.
This was honestly one of the easiest things to do.

joemysterio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 03:07 PM   #11
CincyJohn

Drives: 2022 MT Neptune GR86 Prem.
Quote:
I'll do things myself too. However, the car has to go in for service eventually anyway, so might as well have it done via software vs a physical disconnect.

If I could deactivate it my self in software like you can on a BMW with Bimmerlink, I would do it myself.

I unplugged my Mk6 GTI's noise maker myself by pulling the cable. It worked fine but over time I ran into a minor issue of hearing the disconnected cable and connecter rattling inside the car. I'd like to prevent that in this car. In both this car and the GTI, there doesn't seem to be a good way to secure the loose cable to prevent rattling in the future. I don't want to be constantly popping off the trim piece to secure a loose cable/connector.
Look you really clearly want the dealer to do it via software (for which they will probably charge you $50 or so), so do that.

But you don't need to make up stuff just to convince yourself. There are literally about 20 different ways, things you can do to secure the cable with a zip-tie once you unplug it. If you don't believe me take the 5 seconds it takes to remove the passenger dash cover and look for yourself.
CincyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CincyJohn For This Useful Post:
AK2112 (05-05-2022)
Old 05-07-2022, 10:40 AM   #12
diga

Drives: 2022 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Easy to unplug, a bit more difficult to reinstall. 2 mins unplug - 10-15 mins reinstall, had difficulty reaching in, getting plug aligned and pushed in.
Xed32 (05-09-2022)
Old 05-09-2023, 06:12 AM   #13
Mcgiiver

Drives: 2022 BRZ Premium, 2009 Toyota Tacom
Quote:

My dealer said they would try, but not sure if they could do it. That "trial/education" process would cost me $175 to start.
Mcgiiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 03:44 PM   #14
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
My dealer did it during the 6 month oil change. At first the service guy had no idea what I was talking about, but I explained it to them and they figured it out.

I can't tell a difference given how much the Remark exhaust drones inside the car.