follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 05-04-2013, 03:54 AM   #1
Minovsky

Drives: Fr-s 2013 white out
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Leased car question

If i leased the car can i black out my headlights?
Minovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:00 AM   #2
86 FRS
P i N O Y P R i D E

Drives: 86 C7P MT
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
leased = no mods, some u can but u have to put everything back to stock. buy it instead so u can do whatever u want.
Minovsky (05-04-2013)
Old 05-04-2013, 04:05 AM   #3
Minovsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 FRS View Post
leased = no mods, some u can but u have to put everything back to stock. buy it instead so u can do whatever u want.
ohh i thought colors would be fine? i mean drilling holes for wings etc i know i cant. haha
Old 05-04-2013, 04:31 AM   #4
kALMIGHTY
Banned

Drives: TRD Ultramarine '13
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
If you want to black out your headlights, you can. I mean, yes, technically you can't do that, but that's only because the dealership doesn't want a riced out car at the end of your lease term that they can't even sell to another customer, but something like blacking out the headlights won't be frowned upon, and the dealership might even be able to easily sell the car later on because a customer might prefer the blacked out headlights over another used FR-S that has the stock chrome headlights.

And if you think you might even end up just buying the car out at the end of the lease, then go crazy the mods. If you plan on returning it at the end of 3, or 4 years, then keep the mods fairly moderate, and ones that are mostly reversible. If you want to do bigger mods, and not have the dealership get mad at you, buy TRD stuff.
I asked my dealership about warranty on stock struts and shocks even if I buy Eibachs from them, and they said they wouldn't cover blown shocks or struts unless I bought TRD springs. So even though TRD things are expensive, they also come with a peace-of-mind that your car will be taken care of should anything go wrong.
kALMIGHTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
cdo221

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S, 2015 RS 1.0
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
In the leased agreement you signed, it says somewhere that you have to return the car as you both it, minus any wear and tear. So consumables such as tires or windshield wipers, you obviously can change. Wear and tear in the interior/exterior, etc. too is OK, a car that is driven for a few years is not gonna look the same as a brand new car.

However, the dealership is going to charge you for ANYTHING they can outside of that. They'll basically say that you signed a contract that you'll bring the car back as you drove it off the lot (minus wear and tear). Even if you did mod for the better, they'll charge you to revert it back to the condition you signed for it.

If the headlights are blacked out, they can pull some BS and charge you the $800 + $$ for labor to change the head lights back to stock ones. Then, they'll turn around and pocket your $$, keeping the blacked out head lights, marking it up while selling it saying it has tasteful mods. That's just how dealerships roll... they'll use the contract to extract every penny out of you.
cdo221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:06 PM   #6
Minovsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdo221 View Post
In the leased agreement you signed, it says somewhere that you have to return the car as you both it, minus any wear and tear. So consumables such as tires or windshield wipers, you obviously can change. Wear and tear in the interior/exterior, etc. too is OK, a car that is driven for a few years is not gonna look the same as a brand new car.

However, the dealership is going to charge you for ANYTHING they can outside of that. They'll basically say that you signed a contract that you'll bring the car back as you drove it off the lot (minus wear and tear). Even if you did mod for the better, they'll charge you to revert it back to the condition you signed for it.

If the headlights are blacked out, they can pull some BS and charge you the $800 + $$ for labor to change the head lights back to stock ones. Then, they'll turn around and pocket your $$, keeping the blacked out head lights, marking it up while selling it saying it has tasteful mods. That's just how dealerships roll... they'll use the contract to extract every penny out of you.
I guess by the time lease is over I could find some cheaper headlights that someone is gona sell hopefully or keep an eye out for cheap headlights during this time haha and prolly buy and swap those... And I could sell my blacked out headlights.. Ehhh
Old 05-04-2013, 01:11 PM   #7
cdo221

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S, 2015 RS 1.0
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeydew View Post
I guess by the time lease is over I could find some cheaper headlights that someone is gona sell hopefully or keep an eye out for cheap headlights during this time haha and prolly buy and swap those... And I could sell my blacked out headlights.. Ehhh
That's a pretty good plan. I was actually thinking that maybe you could just black out your head lights now, then when cheap-o OEM lookalikes come out (and you know they will), just swap em to the OEM lookalikes when your lease is up. I doubt they'll be able to tell the difference..

sorry if I sounded bitter in the previous post btw, had some bad dealership experiences haha
cdo221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:19 PM   #8
Minovsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdo221 View Post
That's a pretty good plan. I was actually thinking that maybe you could just black out your head lights now, then when cheap-o OEM lookalikes come out (and you know they will), just swap em to the OEM lookalikes when your lease is up. I doubt they'll be able to tell the difference..

sorry if I sounded bitter in the previous post btw, had some bad dealership experiences haha
No worries man! I mean I still have alot of time so I hope there will be some alternative plans to giving dealership anymore money..
Old 05-04-2013, 01:31 PM   #9
abutterman

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited - WRB, MT
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
some mods they're ok with but if it's leased as long as it's legal and looks professionally done. on a leased car though i personally wouldn't do anything more than simple bolt on/reversible stuff so that i could just pull the stuff off before hand, put it back to stock and sell the parts. I know people that have turned in cars that have been lowered and whatnot and most of the time they don't even realize or the person taking it back thinks its cool and doesn't think anything of it
abutterman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to abutterman For This Useful Post:
Minovsky (05-04-2013)
Old 05-04-2013, 01:43 PM   #10
Minovsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by abutterman View Post
some mods they're ok with but if it's leased as long as it's legal and looks professionally done. on a leased car though i personally wouldn't do anything more than simple bolt on/reversible stuff so that i could just pull the stuff off before hand, put it back to stock and sell the parts. I know people that have turned in cars that have been lowered and whatnot and most of the time they don't even realize or the person taking it back thinks its cool and doesn't think anything of it
Ohh well ill see what they say first I guess? Haha
Old 05-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #11
Lverasky
RedBunny w/ Wing

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 FRS View Post
same thought. dealership won't bother you if you do much mod, as long as if you put those stock parts back to the car when you done with the leased.

Buy it is the best option.
Minovsky (05-04-2013)
Old 05-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #12
jamies31

Drives: 2014 Scion Frs (Argento)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
If you can buy it at the dealership ie trd wing, spoiler air intake its ok, I know from personal experiance blacking it the lights is a no no, So unless your willing to take the paint off or replace the lights i would stay away from it, well unless you plan to buy the car out then mod away
jamies31 is offline   Reply With Quote