follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #1
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Exhaust vibration/rattle at cold start?

I've got the Perrin headerback and recently (now that I've been able to drive with windows open in the mild weather) I've noticed that the exhaust makes a bit of a vibration or rattle sound for a second at cold start. I'm going to put the car up and check that everything's still tightened to spec, but was wondering if anyone else noticed this and perhaps it was just normal?

Maybe part of the exhaust system is too close to another part of the car and during the cold start routine there's enough vibration in the system to make it hit for a second?

6MT, in case anyone was wondering - I know that there were some cases of the exhaust being tight with the auto, so that's not it.
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
shu5892001
Ontario's FT86

Drives: 2016 Lexus GS-F
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
My perrin un-resonated exhaust does it too, but only when it's very cold and it only happens for like 1 nano second.
shu5892001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shu5892001 For This Useful Post:
Foobar (04-15-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #3
Tylub

Drives: Raven Black FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foobar View Post
I've got the Perrin headerback and recently (now that I've been able to drive with windows open in the mild weather) I've noticed that the exhaust makes a bit of a vibration or rattle sound for a second at cold start. I'm going to put the car up and check that everything's still tightened to spec, but was wondering if anyone else noticed this and perhaps it was just normal?

Maybe part of the exhaust system is too close to another part of the car and during the cold start routine there's enough vibration in the system to make it hit for a second?

6MT, in case anyone was wondering - I know that there were some cases of the exhaust being tight with the auto, so that's not it.
if you have the non resonated, i say just get used to it?
maybe the piping is cold because i get this as well

after it's warm, it completely goes away. and only lasts for maybe a few seconds.

what kind of sound are you experiencing? can you try to be a little more specific?

another theory could be the studs connecting the exhaust manifold to the overpipe and perhaps that's loose?

instagram @Tylub
Mods: Tomei UELs, Tomei OP, Perrin Catted FP, ARK DT-S, Perrin LW Crank Pulley, Enkei RPF1, RSR Sporti, Supertek Intake Tube, Perrin CAI, Stoptech SS lines/brakes/slotted rotors, Cusco MCB brace/Strut Bar
Tylub is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tylub For This Useful Post:
Foobar (04-15-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 02:37 PM   #4
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Same here -- Perrin NR.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
Foobar (04-15-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 02:41 PM   #5
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2004 Toyota Coroll
Thanked 1,363 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Garage
SRT header back, lasts until it is warmed up. the car is v8 short block loud with a cold start (just not v8 deep)
Old 04-15-2013, 03:02 PM   #6
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks guys - yeah I've got the unresonated catted headerback. It's not a big deal to "get used to" as Tylub suggests, I just wanted to make sure it was normal. I never noticed it before but now that it's warmer out, I've had a few opportunities to start the car with my windows open and I noticed the sound, sort of a metallic rattling sound as if part of the exhaust was just touching part of the car.

I put the car up and confirmed that all of the bolts and bands were tightened to spec, all the way from the header to the last muffler hanger. I don't see evidence of exhaust leak anywhere in the system. I also ran my fingers all along the system checking to see if it was butting up against part of the car, but aside from the connection to the header, the frontpipe hanger, and the muffler hangers, it's completely clear. The closest it gets to the car is by the rear crossmember, I'd say it has about a centimeter of space between the top of the pipe to the bottom of the crossmember.

Looks like it's just something inside of the exhaust that wakes up for a second at start, but then goes away. Based on other responses here, looks like it's completely normal.

Thanks guys!
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Foobar For This Useful Post:
Tylub (04-15-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #7
PERRIN_Mladen

Drives: '11 535i
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foobar View Post
Thanks guys - yeah I've got the unresonated catted headerback. It's not a big deal to "get used to" as Tylub suggests, I just wanted to make sure it was normal. I never noticed it before but now that it's warmer out, I've had a few opportunities to start the car with my windows open and I noticed the sound, sort of a metallic rattling sound as if part of the exhaust was just touching part of the car.

I put the car up and confirmed that all of the bolts and bands were tightened to spec, all the way from the header to the last muffler hanger. I don't see evidence of exhaust leak anywhere in the system. I also ran my fingers all along the system checking to see if it was butting up against part of the car, but aside from the connection to the header, the frontpipe hanger, and the muffler hangers, it's completely clear. The closest it gets to the car is by the rear crossmember, I'd say it has about a centimeter of space between the top of the pipe to the bottom of the crossmember.

Looks like it's just something inside of the exhaust that wakes up for a second at start, but then goes away. Based on other responses here, looks like it's completely normal.

Thanks guys!
From what you are describing, that sounds normal. Our shop car does the same thing on a cold start.

If you feel like it could be something more, make a video of it and get it over to us and we can look into it! You have done the steps that I would recommend you do in order to check for an exhaust leak or a loose bolt.

As I stated before, it sounds completely normal to me, but I understand the need to double check !

If you have any more concerns, just let me know here or via PM!
PERRIN_Mladen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PERRIN_Mladen For This Useful Post:
Foobar (04-15-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 05:15 PM   #8
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2004 Toyota Coroll
Thanked 1,363 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Garage
I now have added vibrations throughout my car at certain points in my rev range... I blame my resonator for that. So I will be slowly finding them and adding stuff to remove the rattles/vibration sounds. I like the louder exhaust but also want a smooth sounding car.

So i guess I took a few steps forward and a few steps back but I love my car