follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-08-2016, 02:58 AM   #29
_gt86_user
Inactive

Drives: .
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaSPUR View Post
Hmm.. not sure if I have this issue on mine, or if what im about to describe is similar.

But my shifter definitely vibrates quite a bit. I have a weighted shift knob on it now so it doesnt actually rattle enough to make noise. But I remember when I first swapped my reverse lockout (to an aluminum one), I didn't hit the pin back in enough and even that rattled loose. The lockout was also a noisy mofo as it rattled.

With that pin in tight and the weighted knob screwed down real well, I haven't had any noticeable noise from the shifter. I still feel plenty of vibrations through it when I hold on to it though, but I figured thats normal since it is connected to the engine...
Vibration is normal, especially if you hold onto your shift knob while in gear. But if you have a short shifter or even just removed the pivot shaft for whatever reason and it vibrates AND rattles in your hands, then most likely the o ring popped off during the install or it never got installed or the rarest scenario the bushings on the shifter are out of spec or damaged.
_gt86_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:29 PM   #30
Sgaldi

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Premium
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My 2018 BRZ just started doing this today, have almost 700 miles on it and on my way to work I was in a hurry and ran to about 6k RPMand noticed the rattling sound, I’m taking to to Subaru on my next day off hope it’s something fixable cause that will drive me crazy
Sgaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:43 PM   #31
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgaldi View Post
My 2018 BRZ just started doing this today, have almost 700 miles on it and on my way to work I was in a hurry and ran to about 6k RPMand noticed the rattling sound, I’m taking to to Subaru on my next day off hope it’s something fixable cause that will drive me crazy
bro we told you to prepare for weird sounds
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134052

shifter rattle is very common for this platform. I used to get it every time I was revving past 5 K in 2nd gear for about the first 20 K miles from new, then it disappeared for quite some time until the other day I heard it come up a couple of times and I'm going to be hitting 60 K soon.

Taking it to the dealer is a waste of time and will only frustrate you. People on this forum have changed out many bits of the shifter assembly like the OP, have added extra padding and some were even able to convince their dealer to replace their entire transmission just due to shifter rattles only for the rattles to come back! There are going to be a lot of odd mechanical sounds from this platform, best to either roll down the windows, get a louder exhaust or install a sub and crank up the beatz.
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HKz For This Useful Post:
maslin (04-30-2019), Sgaldi (04-30-2019), xdavidx (04-30-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 08:47 PM   #32
Sgaldi

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
bro we told you to prepare for weird sounds
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134052

shifter rattle is very common for this platform. I used to get it every time I was revving past 5 K in 2nd gear for about the first 20 K miles from new, then it disappeared for quite some time until the other day I heard it come up a couple of times and I'm going to be hitting 60 K soon.

Taking it to the dealer is a waste of time and will only frustrate you. People on this forum have changed out many bits of the shifter assembly like the OP, have added extra padding and some were even able to convince their dealer to replace their entire transmission just due to shifter rattles only for the rattles to come back! There are going to be a lot of odd mechanical sounds from this platform, best to either roll down the windows, get a louder exhaust or install a sub and crank up the beatz.
That’s comforting to hear , I’m really neurotic when it comes to buying shit and since this is the most expensive thing iv ever bought it’s got me analyzing every sound
Sgaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:55 PM   #33
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgaldi View Post
That’s comforting to hear , I’m really neurotic when it comes to buying shit and since this is the most expensive thing iv ever bought it’s got me analyzing every sound
well next time you find something that doesn't sit well with you, just Google your issue along with "site:www.ft86club.com" and you'll see how it has already been asked a million times..
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...71.nOjSgQaoy20

yes, cars are expensive but that is why you have insurance and warranties...your preliminary sound concerns will not discover any issues before parts actually break. Just drive the machine
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:40 PM   #34
Compelica

Drives: 86 GT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Hi guys, another shifter rattle issue here which I just realised recently.

I got mine used, about 48k miles. Was pushing it on the straight on 2nd and it would rattle past 4.5k RPM. Now it could either be two of these problems:

1. Nylon bushing rattling - https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50512

2. Washer between lever and rod - http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2170681

Problem is, how do I identify which issue I'm facing? Currently I don't have access to my car at the moment but will try out any options you guys have to diagnose it before finding a solution.
Compelica is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Compelica For This Useful Post:
sato (09-08-2020)
Old 06-11-2019, 10:33 PM   #35
dvdan

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
FIXED THE RATTLE! (mostly)
I have an '18 tS, and my shifter rattled pretty bad over 4000rpm, and was annoying the crap out of me. The car is under warrantee so I tried the dealer, but the blamed the carbon fiber driveshaft I have on the car, which I wasn't about to swap off just to prove the rattle was still there without it (which it was).
Then I tried the Perrin billet lockout lever, and the rattle is reduced about 75%. Still happens, but in a much narrower rpm range and it's far more subdued - to the point of not being noticeable. Recommended.
dvdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:23 AM   #36
terry12t

Drives: BRZ 2017 type S
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyphen View Post
Yah I was gonna do that too. But they told me a subie engineer is gonna look at it so I'll leave it to them since they got the drawings and all. After they swapped in the new shifter lever assy. It got significantly louder. It is fairly consistent when the rattle start (4k rpm). It is worse at the low slots 2/4/6 than 1/3/5.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
'rattle start (4k rpm). It is worse at the low slots 2/4/6 than 1/3/5. '
it happens on my 2017 brz, totally same
terry12t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:47 AM   #37
terry12t

Drives: BRZ 2017 type S
I believe to change a better rubber o-ring at the base of the shift lever should be the key point to solve the rattle
terry12t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 02:58 PM   #38
gpvecchi

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Limited PP (Model G)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
In my case the rattle comes from the reverse spring (if you pull it up, there's no rattle). I put a ton of grase around the spring, but it lasts till the vibrations clean it out.
I accept suggestions...
gpvecchi is offline   Reply With Quote