follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 03-25-2016, 11:21 AM   #15
RBbugBITme

Drives: S60R/Corvette
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Damnit. I made that mistake before. You're right its a valve, no MR fluid for my car.

Point still stands for race cars.
RBbugBITme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:34 AM   #16
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I was really impressed with MRC in a Z51 package C7 at the track. It felt really well damped over small bumps and even gator strips. If they offered it as, say, a $3k option on the FR-S, I would have strongly considered it.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 01:17 PM   #17
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless View Post
Race cars don't have a need to adjust between comfort and sport...
Shenanigans.

If there's a rough slow portion of the track they would absolutely soften the damping to keep the tires in contact and maximize mechanical grip, probably in a rough straightaway as well, then crank up the stiffness on the smooth high speed stuff to maintain flatness for aerodynamics and to keep all four tires evenly loaded. And like mentioned by RB being able to go a click soft or stiff on one end would be fantastic for managing balance, really take a load off the driver if they missed something in the rest of the setup for long sprints. Like he said if it was useful it'd be on Indycars already and you'd see testing and advertising for it everywhere.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 02:30 PM   #18
Shankenstein
Frosty Carrot

Drives: The Atomic Carrot
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
There was a push by @DougW and some wacky dutchmen to build a better Damptronic system. I don't believe the project ever finished for the BRZ, but aftermarket options exist for Porsche's PASM system.

LINK to one of his threads

My understanding of PASM is that it has ride height (for adaptive air systems) and damper bleed valve control. It uses driver inputs (cockpit buttons), a host of sensors (linear position sensors, accelerometers, gyroscopes), and parameters accessed from the CAN bus (vehicle speed, steering angle, estimated engine torque, brake pressure, etc). I don't know how detailed their system goes... but it's probably pretty fancy, given the $2-4k price bump for those options.
Shankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 06:29 PM   #19
Sleepless

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBbugBITme View Post
Point still stands for race cars.
I believe the main reason MR isn't used on race cars is that it is not allowed by the rules. I'm not aware of any road race series that allows active or semi active suspensions.

Also, as I believe you mentioned, there were some heat issues early on; not sure if they fixed that in the latest generations.

MagneShocks sell a setup for racing, but its like $15K!

Anyway, the tests I've read say MR works well on production performance cars on and off the track. I'd order it if I were buying a new car like the Camaro, Corvette or Mustang...
Old 03-25-2016, 07:00 PM   #20
RBbugBITme

Drives: S60R/Corvette
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Race rules didn't stop F1 team we worked with back in the day when they could run whatever they wanted during testing. They still decided to toss it in the trash.

If there was a benefit the teams would push for it but no one even talks about it so the rules stay the same. Although F1 is potentially on the brink of reintroducing an active system for 2017 or '18, MR is not what they'll be using.
RBbugBITme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:51 AM   #21
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless View Post
Which car did you experience it in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
Going to assume a Cadillac, since he works at a Chevy dealership, I think.
Yeah it was a CTS or ATS I cant remember it was a while ago. Its also in the yukon's and I think its an option on some ZL1 camaros.
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote