follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-16-2016, 06:25 PM   #15
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
Didn't they discontinue the Genesis Coupe?
Yes, 2016 is the last year

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:29 PM   #16
AdrianSaldana
That Guy

Drives: Fast and Hard
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
Fiat 124 Arbath right?

I knew you gonna say Miata. lol

As for the OP, both Genesis and 86 are great car and both have pros and cons. It's all comes down to is drive both cars.

We can say all the great things about 86 and horrible things about Genesis (vice versa for GC forum, I bet)... but it's all comes down to is how you like driving and looking at that car.

Go to local Hyndai & Toyota dealership and test drive both and report back.
went over there and they said this
"Oh, did anyone mention the high failure rate of the engines? Long term, the FRS is turning out to be a problem child."

high faliure rate? what a tool

DD: 2007 Suzuki Sv650
Weekend Car: 1969 Chevelle
Summer/Weekend Car: 2014 BRZ
AdrianSaldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:15 PM   #17
Manic
Is not fast.

Drives: 2014 Whiteout M/T
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDinkleman View Post
One aspect you did not list: How much practicality do you need? I came from a Toyota Yaris, 3-door hatch. It was slow and wallowy but it was fun because it was small, good mileage, and MT. And it had a LOT of room (for me) that was convenient to get to. As much as I love my FRS, I occasionally find it a PITA in terms of carrying capacity. If you need to carry a lot of stuff a lot of the time, then (as much as I hate to say this), the Genesis may be better for you.
I dunno about that one... @continuecrushing and I managed to bring our ModBargains booth to 86Fest with just our two FR-S's.

abraxis (08-16-2016)
Old 08-16-2016, 07:26 PM   #18
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Didn't they discontinue the Genesis Coupe?
Yes
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:58 PM   #19
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic View Post
I dunno about that one... @continuecrushing and I managed to bring our ModBargains booth to 86Fest with just our two FR-S's.
haha yeah we did.

10x10 ezup (big one too-better quality than the normal 69.99 ones...)
4 folding chairs (fold in half, not all cute like camping ones)
1 small cooler
1 6 foot table (folded in half)
4 sandbags
1 ipad stand
1 car info stand
7 sets of valenti tail lights (in box haha)
2 flags
2 water filled things so flags don't fall over
1 drone (in a box lol)
5 openflash tablets (lol so huge)
camera bags
camera tripod
few boxes with chair covers/other booth things
2 starbuck drinks
1 10lb bag of ice

aaaaaand...on the way back from the show I stopped by bass pro shops and bought a little electric motor for my canoe. The box was 6inx12inx44in lol.
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to continuecrushing For This Useful Post:
abraxis (08-16-2016)
Old 08-16-2016, 08:01 PM   #20
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post

As for the OP, both Genesis and 86 are great car and both have pros and cons. It's all comes down to is drive both cars.

We can say all the great things about 86 and horrible things about Genesis (vice versa for GC forum, I bet)... but it's all comes down to is how you like driving and looking at that car.

Go to local Hyndai & Toyota dealership and test drive both and report back.
Give this man a gold star. 85% of the opinions on this board are a wash due to bias.

Drive whatever car you want to, then buy whatever one makes you the happiest.

Personally, as much fun as I have in the FRS when I drive it, it's just not the "perfect" fit for me. It's a great car, and it's certainly not underpowered for any kind of driving, except for trying to show up the Hellcat that pulls up beside you at a red light.

I find it just lacks day to day practicality for me, and also straight line speed (as much as I want to say you don't need it, sometimes you just want it.). I can't slag on the car for that really, I knew what I was getting into when I got it. But after almost 2 years of ownership, I just find myself wanting something else. Luckily, I have a truck that my employer gave to me, so that fills the practicality void for me. Basically, what I'm saying is, this car is a great second car to have. If it's going to be your only vehicle, you may want something bigger/comfier/more powerful, etc.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
daiheadjai (08-17-2016), funwheeldrive (08-16-2016), ichitaka05 (08-16-2016), KR-S (08-16-2016), soulreapersteve (08-16-2016)
Old 08-16-2016, 08:21 PM   #21
KR-S
Sporadic Member

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S M/T
Thanked 3,552 Times in 1,746 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protege13 View Post
Hey all,

I'll keep this as short and sweet as possible. I drive a 2003 Mazda Protege currently. It was my first car, bought it used many many years ago outright for 8k cash and never looked back. It has served me well.

With that said, I can tell it's nearing it's end of life. I am approaching 200k miles and the car is starting to have some issues. What I have enjoyed about it is how small it is, it seems to be relatively responsive, and I just enjoy being low, small, and nimble. (as opposed to being in a truck or SUV).

I've been debating between an FRS/BRZ and a Genesis Coupe. I'll list the qualities that I'd enjoy in a vehicle and perhaps you guys can help me figure out which route might be better for me:

- Look cool (suggestive, but I like both the gen and 86)
- small and nimble
- decent gas mileage
- would love amenities such as backup camera/nav/heated seats etc but not required
- A good platform to mod. Mostly interested in aesthetics and learning mechanically as I go, never worked on cars much before but I want to start
- Most importantly, fun to drive on a daily basis

I probably will never track my car realistically, I'm mostly just interested in a good looking, fun ride that I can have fun with on a daily basis and won't break the bank. I'm almost 27, male, and have a clean driving record.

I have zero experience with sports cars. The closest I get is driving the supped up challenger at work, and that thing is a BOAT.
As mentioned before, the Genesis Coupe isn't exactly small and nimble, but that shouldn't stop you from test driving both.

I don't know the amenities of the Genesis Coupe; I'll leave that for the GC guys on this forum.

As far as your options go, if you're looking for a used twin with an OEM backup camera, 2016 will be the only year they have it, as far as I know. If you want a twin with heated seats, you could either look for any special edition FR-S (Monogram, RS1, etc.) or grab a BRZ Limited.

Since you mentioned you were interested in modding, you could easily add a backup camera if you wanted to, and there are plenty of DIYs here on this forum as well.

Just my two cents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyLooie View Post
Nah, homes. It's your dadda's hot goopey goop.
KR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:26 PM   #22
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I gotta say, the Genesis is a POS. But hey, I'm biased against garbage cars.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (08-17-2016), Impureclient (08-16-2016), Pat.Thornton (08-31-2016)
Old 08-16-2016, 08:48 PM   #23
Protege13

Drives: Mazda Protege 2003
Thanks for the input so far. I know some of you asked what my requirements are for practicality/storage.... Well, I would *like* to fit a modest sized drum kit into it. I know that sounds insane, but it's probably the biggest thing I ever haul anywhere. To give you an idea, I fit it into my protege just fine without issue. The entire thing. It's not necessarily essential, as I may keep my protege as a second car for the rare times I need to haul something like that. The upside to the Gen coupe when I looked at it was that it seemed to have enough space to squish my stuff into it.

The biggest problem I see is door clearance, and how far the seats can move forward. Does anyone have a video of putting a box or something into the back seats, showing the space and how much the seats move forward?

I also had a question: rear camera withstanding, what year would you buy? I don't mind buying used. Can anyone tell me what is a good mileage for this car used? I see a lot of examples in the Chicago area for 20-25k with 30-40k miles which seemed a little high to me.
Protege13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:04 PM   #24
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protege13 View Post
Thanks for the input so far. I know some of you asked what my requirements are for practicality/storage.... Well, I would *like* to fit a modest sized drum kit into it. I know that sounds insane, but it's probably the biggest thing I ever haul anywhere. To give you an idea, I fit it into my protege just fine without issue. The entire thing. It's not necessarily essential, as I may keep my protege as a second car for the rare times I need to haul something like that. The upside to the Gen coupe when I looked at it was that it seemed to have enough space to squish my stuff into it.

The biggest problem I see is door clearance, and how far the seats can move forward. Does anyone have a video of putting a box or something into the back seats, showing the space and how much the seats move forward?

I also had a question: rear camera withstanding, what year would you buy? I don't mind buying used. Can anyone tell me what is a good mileage for this car used? I see a lot of examples in the Chicago area for 20-25k with 30-40k miles which seemed a little high to me.
There is not a hope in hell of getting a drum kit into an FRS. Not due to the space but because getting something into the space requires some fancy manoeuvring. The Genisuis will not be much better though. You may be best off with a hor hatch of some form with those needs.
Impureclient (08-16-2016), why? (09-01-2016)
Old 08-16-2016, 09:10 PM   #25
Th3rdSun

Drives: 2013 FR-S MT Hot Lava
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I gotta say, the Genesis is a POS. But hey, I'm biased against garbage cars.
I don't really know if this is true or not,but my main reason that I actually stopped looking at the Genesis Coupe is solely because it's a Hyundai.

I know that Hyundai makes better cars than they did 10~15 years ago,but there's no way in hell I'm taking one over a Toyota/Subaru for reliability.
Th3rdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:05 PM   #26
meWant

Drives: '16 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
As mentioned before, the Genesis Coupe isn't exactly small and nimble, but that shouldn't stop you from test driving both.

I don't know the amenities of the Genesis Coupe; I'll leave that for the GC guys on this forum.

As far as your options go, if you're looking for a used twin with an OEM backup camera, 2016 will be the only year they have it, as far as I know. If you want a twin with heated seats, you could either look for any special edition FR-S (Monogram, RS1, etc.) or grab a BRZ Limited.

Since you mentioned you were interested in modding, you could easily add a backup camera if you wanted to, and there are plenty of DIYs here on this forum as well.

Just my two cents.
To add on to this, the 2016 BRZ cut nav, so if the backup camera is more important than the 2016 is the only year with them standard so far.
Also, as everybody has stated already, the special editions or BRZ Limited has the heated seats.
meWant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:30 PM   #27
Protege13

Drives: Mazda Protege 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
There is not a hope in hell of getting a drum kit into an FRS. Not due to the space but because getting something into the space requires some fancy manoeuvring. The Genisuis will not be much better though. You may be best off with a hor hatch of some form with those needs.
Thanks. I didn't have high hopes but thought I'd ask. It's not essential, but that was just an example of the largest thing I ever haul. It would be nice but not a deal breaker. Pretty much day to day I just drive myself to work, gym or my girls place. The only person ever in my car is my gym buddy or my girl, so I don't really need a back seat. 99% of days the biggest thing in my car might be a case of water.
Protege13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:37 PM   #28
MrDinkleman

Drives: 2016 Oceanic, "base" model
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by continuecrushing View Post
haha yeah we did.

10x10 ezup (big one too-better quality than the normal 69.99 ones...)
4 folding chairs (fold in half, not all cute like camping ones)
1 small cooler
1 6 foot table (folded in half)
4 sandbags
1 ipad stand
1 car info stand
7 sets of valenti tail lights (in box haha)
2 flags
2 water filled things so flags don't fall over
1 drone (in a box lol)
5 openflash tablets (lol so huge)
camera bags
camera tripod
few boxes with chair covers/other booth things
2 starbuck drinks
1 10lb bag of ice

aaaaaand...on the way back from the show I stopped by bass pro shops and bought a little electric motor for my canoe. The box was 6inx12inx44in lol.
Yeah... I know you can pack a lot of stuff, especially with the rear seatback down (e.g., a full set of tires and other autocross stuff, I've heard) but it is just a PITA to do so, especially on a regular basis, compared to just throwing/stacking stuff into the back of a hatch. But OP says that will probably not be an issue so... FRS/BRZ it is.

Huh! I wasn't aware that the GC was so cramped in spite of its much larger size. But then, the GC was never on my short (or long) list.

And as TCoat said, it's a coupe thing...
MrDinkleman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrDinkleman For This Useful Post:
continuecrushing (08-17-2016)