follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-16-2017, 02:49 AM   #1
milkydude12
Member
 
milkydude12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Drives: none
Location: The Land Of Maple Syrup
Posts: 35
Thanks: 2
Thanked 13 Times in 5 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
[QUESTION] 2017 Toyota 86 In Canadian snow?

Hi, im new to the forum . I've already read the "New Member & have question? Read here first!" and well, I'm thinking of purchasing a Toyota 86 (manual). I'd like to know if anyone here has ever driven the Toyota 86 in Calgary/Edmonton/Fort Mcmurray.

If so, lets say you have good winter tires on, whats the chances of getting stuck in snow? Is it easy to get out of the snow? are there things I should do to make winter driving more relaxing? I plan to daily drive the 86. I know the Toyota 86 can be driven in snow, however the amount of snow is not really specified in the "New Member & have question? Read here first!" (Canadian winters are typically worse than American winters).
milkydude12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:16 AM   #2
Tcoat
Senior Member
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 69,845
Thanks: 61,656
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkydude12 View Post
Hi, im new to the forum . I've already read the "New Member & have question? Read here first!" and well, I'm thinking of purchasing a Toyota 86 (manual). I'd like to know if anyone here has ever driven the Toyota 86 in Calgary/Edmonton/Fort Mcmurray.

If so, lets say you have good winter tires on, whats the chances of getting stuck in snow? Is it easy to get out of the snow? are there things I should do to make winter driving more relaxing? I plan to daily drive the 86. I know the Toyota 86 can be driven in snow, however the amount of snow is not really specified in the "New Member & have question? Read here first!" (Canadian winters are typically worse than American winters).
Lowered 1.5 inches.
In the snowbelt dead center of all the great lakes.
Daily driven for 3 winters.
Drive minimum of 1,300 kilometers a week.
Have never been stuck.
With good snow tires zero the thing is a tank in the snow.
I have had to stop to help push AWD cars out of my way several times.
Do it!
Attached Images
 
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
Celica00 (08-16-2017), humfrz (08-16-2017), SkAsphalt (09-21-2017), spike021 (08-16-2017), URACK (08-16-2017), Yousend (08-16-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 08:00 AM   #3
Yousend
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Drives: 2014 FR-S
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 126
Thanks: 54
Thanked 98 Times in 65 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Lowered 1.5 inches.
In the snowbelt dead center of all the great lakes.
Daily driven for 3 winters.
Drive minimum of 1,300 kilometers a week.
Have never been stuck.
With good snow tires zero the thing is a tank in the snow.
I have had to stop to help push AWD cars out of my way several times.
Do it!
I got stuck twice in 3 winters. Once I parked on pure ice. Other time I was leaving a parking with 2-3' of snow and an Impreza got stuck in front of me. Had to push him, then when he left I got stuck. The car is pretty good otherwise.

I only had a scary moment with this car though during a lane change, but the variables were not in my favor. Rainy winter day, slush, black ice, very windy, etc... You name the bad conditions, it was there. The drive train is not the reason for this scary event, I wasn't even pressing the throttle during this lane change because I know better.
Yousend is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yousend For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-16-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 01:23 PM   #4
Shinigami301
Slow driver, fast biker.
 
Shinigami301's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Drives: '16 86, '00 Celica GTS, Sportbikes
Location: Usually in a 峠
Posts: 350
Thanks: 35
Thanked 306 Times in 168 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Finally, I've reached an age when I can shake my head at all these people who never learned to drive what everyone in my generation learned to drive on in snow- RWD with heavy front ends and bias tires.

Trust me, you spend a few years driving a '72 Charger with almost bald recaps in snow and ice on a regular basis, and you'll have a different perspective on what the 86 can do with proper Nokians and all the nannies.

(Didn't hurt my skills that the last 4 miles to my house were dirt at the time, either)
Shinigami301 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Shinigami301 For This Useful Post:
Celica00 (08-16-2017), chaoskaze (08-16-2017), roddy (08-21-2017), Tcoat (08-16-2017), why? (09-21-2017), Yousend (08-16-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 01:34 PM   #5
Celica00
Senior Member
 
Celica00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Drives: 86
Location: utah
Posts: 1,156
Thanks: 842
Thanked 798 Times in 434 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I spent 2 winters in the mountains of Utah and Sundance with the FRS and it all comes down the quality of the snow tires. DO NOT get cheap snow tires. Like @Tcoat mentioned, I've had to assist stuck AWD vehicles to get out of my way when heading for the slopes.
Celica00 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Celica00 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-16-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 01:51 PM   #6
Tcoat
Senior Member
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 69,845
Thanks: 61,656
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami301 View Post
Finally, I've reached an age when I can shake my head at all these people who never learned to drive what everyone in my generation learned to drive on in snow- RWD with heavy front ends and bias tires.

Trust me, you spend a few years driving a '72 Charger with almost bald recaps in snow and ice on a regular basis, and you'll have a different perspective on what the 86 can do with proper Nokians and all the nannies.

(Didn't hurt my skills that the last 4 miles to my house were dirt at the time, either)


LOL AMEN to that!


Like my first winter driven car:





The same as the car that was the hardest to drive in the winter (I think we had the same tires):





And let's not forget that for decades little old ladies used to drive around in the winter in RWD cars with not a single powered assist in the whole thing. Get back pre 1955 and a heater was a luxury.


__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (08-16-2017), Shinigami301 (08-16-2017), why? (09-21-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 02:34 PM   #7
NOHOME
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: RAVEN
Location: LONDON ONTARIO
Posts: 787
Thanks: 86
Thanked 786 Times in 341 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Hard to believe for all you young wiper-snappers, but back in the Olden-days ALL cars were RWD, and people actually survived winter driving.

With snow tires, the FRS will drive through the same snowfall as any other daily commuter car sold by other companies be they FWD or RWD. The Posi rear end actually puts you in the top of this group since it is rare in a FWD vehicle.

I live around the corner from TCoat and hence the same driving conditions. Never been stuck.
NOHOME is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NOHOME For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (08-16-2017), Tcoat (08-16-2017), why? (09-21-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 02:43 PM   #8
NOHOME
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: RAVEN
Location: LONDON ONTARIO
Posts: 787
Thanks: 86
Thanked 786 Times in 341 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Hey Tcoat...you missed the inaugural run of my new winter beater

I love the look on peoples faces when they figure out this is a Miata! Apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrLF1IWVXps"]WP 20170723 004 - YouTube[/ame]
NOHOME is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NOHOME For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (08-16-2017), Cole (08-17-2017), new2subaru (09-21-2017), Tcoat (08-16-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 02:45 PM   #9
imnotsureaboutbrz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Drives: between cars...
Location: Ohio
Posts: 498
Thanks: 192
Thanked 263 Times in 158 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have zero issues driving in the snow, another tip, is go up on the bias on the tires. I have Blizzaks WS80 215/50/17 instead of 215/45's and that gained me some extra ground clearance.
imnotsureaboutbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:56 PM   #10
Tcoat
Senior Member
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 69,845
Thanks: 61,656
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotsureaboutbrz View Post
I have zero issues driving in the snow, another tip, is go up on the bias on the tires. I have Blizzaks WS80 215/50/17 instead of 215/45's and that gained me some extra ground clearance.
16 inch wheels help as well. That little bit more sidewall makes a difference in the snow.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
roddy (08-21-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 02:59 PM   #11
Tcoat
Senior Member
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 69,845
Thanks: 61,656
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOHOME View Post
Hey Tcoat...you missed the inaugural run of my new winter beater

I love the look on peoples faces when they figure out this is a Miata! Apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread.

__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:59 PM   #12
imnotsureaboutbrz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Drives: between cars...
Location: Ohio
Posts: 498
Thanks: 192
Thanked 263 Times in 158 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
16 inch wheels help as well. That little bit more sidewall makes a difference in the snow.
Yes! tires are cheaper too! But that wasn't an option for me, with the PP brakes...
imnotsureaboutbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to imnotsureaboutbrz For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-16-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 03:04 PM   #13
Tcoat
Senior Member
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 69,845
Thanks: 61,656
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotsureaboutbrz View Post
Yes! tires are cheaper too! But that wasn't an option for me, with the PP brakes...
Ya that would be a problem. I got 16 inch sleelies so I don't even have to worry about ice freezing between the spokes of an alloy wheel.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:36 PM   #14
ImAdopted
Super Saiyan
 
ImAdopted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Drives: 9000 HP FRS
Location: Heaven
Posts: 205
Thanks: 67
Thanked 56 Times in 44 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkydude12 View Post
Hi, im new to the forum . I've already read the "New Member & have question? Read here first!" and well, I'm thinking of purchasing a Toyota 86 (manual). I'd like to know if anyone here has ever driven the Toyota 86 in Calgary/Edmonton/Fort Mcmurray.

If so, lets say you have good winter tires on, whats the chances of getting stuck in snow? Is it easy to get out of the snow? are there things I should do to make winter driving more relaxing? I plan to daily drive the 86. I know the Toyota 86 can be driven in snow, however the amount of snow is not really specified in the "New Member & have question? Read here first!" (Canadian winters are typically worse than American winters).
from edmonton- just had snow tires and no problem the whole winter, yeah it can get crazy if you let it but just be smart while driving and extra aware of others more than anything
ImAdopted is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
canada, questiion, snow, toyota

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TPMS in Canadian 2017 BRZ? wolffbite CANADA 6 04-05-2017 09:31 PM
Canadian 2017 BRZ - good negotiated price? nico_rsx CANADA 16 03-09-2017 10:48 PM
Canadian International Auto Show 2017 STOOPIDSTANCE BRZ Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum 0 02-28-2017 07:58 PM
2017 Toyota GT86 on Snow and Ice - Video mark0006 Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 11 01-13-2017 01:14 PM
How do you say Yellow in Canadian (2017 Inazuma Edition) DatsunDimer BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics 40 12-17-2016 12:05 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2024 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.